Skip to main content
Topic: Membership 2017 (Read 9827 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Membership 2017

Reply #15
^

Nice!

Cher was a big part of my teenage years and has bubbled along in the background ever since  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
Yes,  I remember my Dad telling me about Cher.        ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
Yes,  I remember my Dad telling me about Cher.        ;)

Pull the other one . . . it plays "I got you babe"  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
Just a bit of an obsession, have loved her for years. Even went to the US to see her a couple of years ago.

Will try and find a Cher pic with some navy blue in it though for DJC   ;D

I see. I'm surprised someone of your tender years would even know Cher. She's at the age where she could be your very old mum or your very young grandma.

Reply #19
Pull the other one . . . it plays "I got you babe"  :)

Actually, I do remember this image of her for some reason.

Reply #20
Where are all our supporters? We are one of the big 5 (gotta include the Dawks) yet bl00dy Port Delaide has just hit 50000 members. Little old Port, 50000.
What are we on ? Just over 30000?
Either they have some real cheap members deals, or they are signing up their gold fish?  They probably include all their Port Sanfl members too.
Why are our supporters so reluctant to get on board?  Yet when we start winning they all jump on the band wagon.
End rant
Go Blues
Member. :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #21
Cue kruddlers 'membership numbers mean nothing' rant...

Firstly....interstate clubs are on a different level to vic clubs. 2 teams to choose from, easy to split a city in half and get more members that way. Even easier with smaller stadiums that pack out from members alone. Thus, you need to be a member to get a seat.

Secondly...membership numbers are NOT a true reflection of a clubs strength. Revenue from membership is a better example. Again, interstate clubs need to be treated a little different to Vic based ones as the demand is higher - spread across fewer teams. However, for Vic teams, clubs get inflated numbers from selling cheaper memberships.

Overall you are comparing apples with oranges. Stress less.

I wouldn't mind seeing the clubs financial reports for this season to see how well/poor we really did in this regard. As mentioned previously, i think we inflated our membership figure this season but didn't make a relative amount of money to support the inflation.

Reply #22
Where are all our supporters? We are one of the big 5 (gotta include the Dawks) yet bl00dy Port Delaide has just hit 50000 members. Little old Port, 50000.
What are we on ? Just over 30000?
Either they have some real cheap members deals, or they are signing up their gold fish?  They probably include all their Port Sanfl members too.
Why are our supporters so reluctant to get on board?  Yet when we start winning they all jump on the band wagon.
End rant
Go Blues
Member. :)

A couple of factors are impacting...
Firstly Port's competition is basically the Crows when drawing supporters to memberships.
Same in the west with WCE and Freo.

It hasn't quite reached the same levels in the Northern states where there is still a lot of support for clubs outside of NSW and Qld but with each year that support will diminish as youngsters grow up with the home State teams... and support for the traditional Victorian teams will die off as the older supporters are replaced by the kids who have grown up with the Swans (already pretty established), Lions, Suns and Giants

In Melbourne (although it's a bigger base) the competition for Carlton are all the other Melbourne based clubs and Geelong.
I don't see that competition as sustainable.
And there is the danger for us.
We need to ensure that when the cull comes we're not a part of it.

Success is a major factor.
From the late sixties through to the nineties we were a power of the competition.
Although not successful every year the support was still strong.
In the days when only one or two VFL games were shown interstate on the "match of the day" each week...Carlton featured just about every second week.
The ''brand'' was well known and the support was widespread nationally.

As the years go by without sustained success other teams have taken the spotlight.
They're the ones whose jumpers the kids want to wear.
I remember what it was like in the schoolyard when I was young.
I was a Carlton supporter.
For the majority of the season we could "walk tall".

Mondays held no fear for us...we'd usually won, and usually won big.
Premierships?...they happened every second year...and even in the poor years we were finalists.
From that base there grew a supporter group that would last for decades....but slowly over the last decade that support base has been slipping in relation to other clubs.
It's a slide we have to turn around....and on-field success will go a long way to setting that process in motion.

Reply #23
See above two posts.

Perfect example a mate of mine has three kids.  Two girls and a boy.  A Carlton family through and through.

Lost his youngest Marcus (5 year old) to the Bulldogs at the end of season 2015.

Why? Because our song states we're the team that never let's you down, and they keep letting me down dad is what he said.

Why the Bulldogs?   His names Marcus and he adores bontempelli.

He still has the two girls but after a premiership he has lost his boy to the Bulldogs.   It could be worse but it just goes to show that we have slipped in more ways than one and our last fifteen years have really hurt the club.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24

Lost his youngest Marcus (5 year old) to the Bulldogs at the end of season 2015.

Just s-house parenting, wouldn't happen on my watch.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26
Just s-house parenting, wouldn't happen on my watch.

:)) :))

My younger daughter, a BlueBaggers supporter (as is her sister, of course!!), allowed my grandson to become a Dishlickers supporter. I deported her to Guantanamo Bay. The older daughter will know better!! ;D ;D (Their mother, aka Satan, is a Rottingwood supporter... yes, I know, what was I thinking marrying one of those. Much better second time round, Mrs Baggers is a one-eyed BlueBagger).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27
:)) :))

My younger daughter, a BlueBaggers supporter (as is her sister, of course!!), allowed my grandson to become a Dishlickers supporter. I deported her to Guantanamo Bay. The older daughter will know better!! ;D ;D (Their mother, aka Satan, is a Rottingwood supporter... yes, I know, what was I thinking marrying one of those. Much better second time round, Mrs Baggers is a one-eyed BlueBagger).

So you've been the Hell-n-Back then Baggers?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
My oldest grandson is a Lions supporter, complete with beanie and scarf. He's only 7 so I haven't given up hope. I just need us to start winning so I've got something to brag about! He's in enemy territory now (QLD) until the end of Jan so I'm at a major disadvantage atm.

Got an email to say my membership package is on its way - I'll offer him the scarf when he gets back.

Anyway folks enjoy your Xmas celebrations - have a great Christmas!!

Reply #29
My daughter married a Collingwood supporter and he's a really good bloke, apart from his choice of footy team.

His sons have been brainwashed into following Collingwood, as he was, but I have plan.  Included among my youngest grandson's Christmas gifts is a navy blue ball with the CFC monogram; the thin edge of the wedge  :)