Skip to main content
Topic: NFL starts tomorrow! (Read 7722 times) previous topic - next topic

NFL starts tomorrow!

The season opener pits the Broncos against the Superbowl winner, Baltimore Ravens.  Peyton Manning's boys are red-hot favourites. 

For me, this season will be much more enjoyable.  Last year, although some games were broadcast on OneHD (as they will be this year too), problems with reception meant I had to try various ways of putting tension on the antenna cable to get things working, and often I'd have to give up altogether when the scores were tight at the end of the game.  This year, I have Fox and I can IQ ESPN.

One tip I picked up from a US sports journo is that you have to temper your enthusiasm for sides with 2nd-year QBs such as Colin Kapernick, Andrew Luck and RG3.  He pointed out that Cam Newton had a great first year, but he didn't follow it up well.  The reasons behind this US version of 2nd-year blues are:
  • Coaches tend to keep things very simple for 1st-year QBs, but then they tend to throw the whole playbook at them in the offseason and they find it difficult to cope.
  • Opponents have seen much more of these rookies and know what they want to do on big plays, meaning they're much better at negating them.
He did, however, suggest that Andrew Luck is a football genius and isn't likely to be overawed. 

This guy also suggested that there's a strong trend to do away with huddles after each play and the hurry-up offence is more common, meaning more plays throughout the game.

Re: NFL starts tomorrow!

Reply #1
Go the mighty Packers.

Looking forward to it also Mav. OneHD only here, no fox though.

Weekly Monday am HD Recorder will be set for sure.

Reply #2
Raven, you and me are gong to have some fun. Im a Bears man.

It will be cracking division this season, the NFC North. Even the Lions may bear some teeth.

I am frothing.

Now how's this would be a great road trip. A CSC Super Bowl Tour.

Who can hook up a leave pass?
I found my thrills, on Windy Pills

Reply #3
The season opener pits the Broncos against the Superbowl winner, Baltimore Ravens.  Peyton Manning's boys are red-hot favourites. 

For me, this season will be much more enjoyable.  Last year, although some games were broadcast on OneHD (as they will be this year too), problems with reception meant I had to try various ways of putting tension on the antenna cable to get things working, and often I'd have to give up altogether when the scores were tight at the end of the game.  This year, I have Fox and I can IQ ESPN.

One tip I picked up from a US sports journo is that you have to temper your enthusiasm for sides with 2nd-year QBs such as Colin Kapernick, Andrew Luck and RG3.  He pointed out that Cam Newton had a great first year, but he didn't follow it up well.  The reasons behind this US version of 2nd-year blues are:
  • Coaches tend to keep things very simple for 1st-year QBs, but then they tend to throw the whole playbook at them in the offseason and they find it difficult to cope.
  • Opponents have seen much more of these rookies and know what they want to do on big plays, meaning they're much better at negating them.
He did, however, suggest that Andrew Luck is a football genius and isn't likely to be overawed. 

This guy also suggested that there's a strong trend to do away with huddles after each play and the hurry-up offence is more common, meaning more plays throughout the game.

Who do you follow Mav?

Re: your post, thats a fair summation of the situation, but Kaepernick and RG3 have the X-factor tools that make a great QB. RG3's return from his knee will be the issue, especially because he is so daring in how he plays risks his body.

Luck I see has more your Tom Brady/Peyton Manning type. Efficient and smart and will read defensive schemes well.

However, as with any great QB, you need a solid Offensive line to be effective.  A good Line will make an solid QB much better. However Aaron Rodgers is a gun, and even with an average OL, he was still exceptional last season.

Loev it!

Reply #4
Go Packers !! You're out numbered now ElCapitan !!

I love watching NFL but with only 1HD and no recording capabilities it's make it a bit hard !!

I have been following the Packers for 3-4 years now, and keep a pretty close eye on them online. I had a quick look through a NFL mag at the newsagent the other day and they had the Packers rated no 1 for season 2013 !! I hope they can live up to the hype !!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #5

It will be cracking division this season, the NFC North. Even the Lions may bear some teeth.

I am frothing.

Just to add a bit more excitement, i'm a diehard vikings fan!  >:D

I was over in the US (on my honeymoon) last year and was lucky enough to convince the wife to take in 2 NFL matches while there.

Saw Vikings @ Seattle (loss)
and
Vikings vs Detroit (win)

Watching the vikings on their home turf (albeit their second last season there before they start their move) and witness my main man Adrian Peterson run riot and get the win was awesome. Loved every second of it. Having the almighty megatron displaying his skills on the opposition was also a joy to watch.

In 1 match i saw both the rushing yards (and MVP) and receiving yards winners. Spoiled.

Reply #6
Who do you follow Mav?
Never really adopted a team.  Pittsburgh Steelers have been good to watch with Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu and SF 49ers will be interesting with Kaepernick.  But the selective broadcasts mean that you don't really get to watch any particular team each week, and the bizarre conference and divisional system makes it a bit harder to equate to an AFL ladder.  The NFL offers a subscription service which gives you internet access to every game, every week (and you can even put them on multi-screen).  I guess if I bothered subscribing to it, that would make following a team more practical.  If you lived in, say, Pittsburgh, your local channel would broadcast every Steelers game and it would be much easier to become partisan. 

Reply #7

Further to the above, there is new rule changes that will likely restrict RG3 and Capernick...and Wilson for that matter. Mainly QBs who use the 'read-option' playbook.

The new rule is that once a QB hands of the ball he is no longer protected as a QB, he is a regular player. As such, he can be hit by the defense...unless he makes it clear he is no longer in the play - takes backwards steps to avoid contact.

So what is happening already (i've watched 4 pre-season games) is that defenses are continuing to hunt the QB after he gives off the ball using the read option and ensuring they hit him. It is specifically targetting the read option rather than your traditional handoffs because they are judging the play on what the defense gives them once the play starts and its not entirely clear if the QB is still in the play or not compared to a clear handoff from snap.

Short version is, QBs running the read-option may be forced to abandon it at the request of their coach/team as they will be taking a lot more hits and risk injury in doing so.

Reply #8
Who do you follow Mav?
Never really adopted a team.  Pittsburgh Steelers have been good to watch with Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu and SF 49ers will be interesting with Kaepernick.  But the selective broadcasts mean that you don't really get to watch any particular team each week, and the bizarre conference and divisional system makes it a bit harder to equate to an AFL ladder.  The NFL offers a subscription service which gives you internet access to every game, every week (and you can even put them on multi-screen).  I guess if I bothered subscribing to it, that would make following a team more practical.  If you lived in, say, Pittsburgh, your local channel would broadcast every Steelers game and it would be much easier to become partisan.

Well said, Mav, I love the NFL (and the NHL, on another note), but the coverage out here outside of online sites is deplorable, even with Foxtel. You only get to watch a couple of games each week and it's always different teams. I found it easier to follow players than it is to follow teams so I get right into the fantasy leagues for American sports.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #9
Who do you follow Mav?

Well said, Mav, I love the NFL (and the NHL, on another note), but the coverage out here outside of online sites is deplorable, even with Foxtel. You only get to watch a couple of games each week and it's always different teams. I found it easier to follow players than it is to follow teams so I get right into the fantasy leagues for American sports.

There is the internet boys...
I can usually download and watch my vikings within 24 hours of the game being played. Haven't missed a game in over 2 years....including pre-season.

Reply #10
Come on green bay

Reply #11
Green Bay all the way, and a small soft spot for the Washington Redskins too. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #12

I am frothing.

If you are paying I can get said leave pass.  ;D

Everyone is just copying me and saying go Packers.  :P I like it! haha.

This thread should be a good one through the AFL offseason.

Yet to get to the States, but if I do go, would be keen to see a Packers game and a Penguins (NHL) game. Plus some snowboarding in Canada maybe... ah to dream.

I am the designated brewer for our Monday Superbowl Party, where we usually have 10-20 guys on the beers from 8am to watch the bowl each year.

Three to Four 20L kegs get drained by 3pm usually. And I tend to book the day after off too as I am in no state to be at work.

Reply #13
Big game from Peyton Manning today.  Was it 7 TD passes - he's now one of only a handful of guys to do that. Wes Welker and the 2 Thomases got 2 each.  Pretty good having 2 receivers measuring 6'3 and 6'5".

The most ridiculous error was committed by a first-game player name Trevathan who did well to get inside Ray Rice and pick off a throw from Flacco, and strolled into the end zone.  But just before he crossed into it, he let the ball go as he started a premature celebration.  He lost a pick-6, and then injury was added to insult to injury - the ball rolled out of the end zone for a touchback and one of the Bronco's star defenders was injured as he tried to dive on the ball before it rolled out of the end zone.

What the hell is it with these guys who can't figure out that the fat paychecks require them to have a modicum of discipline.  It's not as though College football doesn't prepare them for this.  Touchdowns are commonly negated because of celebrations and also for dropping the ball short of the end zone.  If that had been me, they would have needed a scalpel to cut the ball away from my hands well after I walked over to the bench. 

Click Here.

Reply #14

I am frothing.

If you are paying I can get said leave pass.  ;D

Everyone is just copying me and saying go Packers.  :P I like it! haha.

This thread should be a good one through the AFL offseason.

Yet to get to the States, but if I do go, would be keen to see a Packers game and a Penguins (NHL) game. Plus some snowboarding in Canada maybe... ah to dream.

I am the designated brewer for our Monday Superbowl Party, where we usually have 10-20 guys on the beers from 8am to watch the bowl each year.

Three to Four 20L kegs get drained by 3pm usually. And I tend to book the day after off too as I am in no state to be at work.

Well my boy, if you need an emergency or a Sub, im your man. Now that is the way to spend Super Bowl Monday.