Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 5 : Pre Game thread - Port Adelaide V Carlton (Read 22762 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 5 : Pre Game thread - Port Adelaide V Carlton

Reply #15

(P.S. that advantage paid to Ablett was a shocker and that rule is bigger blight on the game than any other IMO).

It's a farking joke of a rule.... the whole idea was to not blow the whistle and let play go on if it's an advantage. 

But when the umpire blows his whistle and 35 players stop except for one bloke with the ball it's a disgrace.

There should be no whistle or no advantage rule.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #16
Our midfield doesn't bat deep enough at the moment.

But I agree.   We have a lot of eggs in the Harry McKay basket.

Yes we do, but we also have weitering, sos, curnow and Kerr as developing forwards.

Patience required. It also another few big guys through the draft as insurance.

If McKay is still struggling next year then we may need a big name but until then we have enough to develop - but not yet be competitive

Reply #17
How is Kerr going?
Will he get a call up soon as part of the play the younguns policy?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #18
It's a farking joke of a rule.... the whole idea was to not blow the whistle and let play go on if it's an advantage. 

But when the umpire blows his whistle and 35 players stop except for one bloke with the ball it's a disgrace.

Particularly when we were called back when there was a clear advantage and allowed to play on when there was no advantage.

If the play stops, as happened with the Ablett goal, there shouldn't be an advantage opportunity.  If the play is continuous, allowing advantage is appropriate.

It's not rocket science but it should be within the competence of all umpires to determine when to apply the advantage rule.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19

I've been on that hobby horse for years M68!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
Particularly when we were called back when there was a clear advantage and allowed to play on when there was no advantage.

If the play stops, as happened with the Ablett goal, there shouldn't be an advantage opportunity.  If the play is continuous, allowing advantage is appropriate.

It's not rocket science but it should be within the competence of all umpires to determine when to apply the advantage rule.

There's no excuse for letting a mistaken advantage call proceed.

It's one of the few times a ump can change his mind and re-start play.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #21
How is Kerr going?
Will he get a call up soon as part of the play the younguns policy?

Be later down the track when he might get a game IMO. been impressed with his mobility and kicking, I thought he was your stay at home traditional FF type but he has been played up the field in the NB's and reminded me a bit of Jake Stringer with some of his work. Doesnt get enough of the footy at this stage to warrant a game but when he does get it he looks like a good footballer...for pick 65 or whateva he was there is some value and reason to be very optimistic about his future.

Reply #22
What he said ????

Reply #23

Agreed.
There were a couple of times when I could've sworn 'he' had his own personal umpire ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #24
There's no excuse for letting a mistaken advantage call proceed.

It's one of the few times a ump can change his mind and re-start play.

Exactly!

In the context of our last game, we should have had one advantage call revoked and Ablett's goal should have been disallowed and the ball brought back for a free kick.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
Be later down the track when he might get a game IMO. been impressed with his mobility and kicking, I thought he was your stay at home traditional FF type but he has been played up the field in the NB's and reminded me a bit of Jake Stringer with some of his work. Doesnt get enough of the footy at this stage to warrant a game but when he does get it he looks like a good footballer...for pick 65 or whateva he was there is some value and reason to be very optimistic about his future.

Thanks EB1, be great if he comes good. Sounds like it won't be from the want of trying :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #26
For me - out Thomas and in Polson this week.

Reply #27
Exactly!

In the context of our last game, we should have had one advantage call revoked and Ablett's goal should have been disallowed and the ball brought back for a free kick.

Why, oh why is it so hard ?  The advantage rule is implemented perfectly in Soccer & Rugby Union, there is no whistle until the ref sees that there is no advantage in the follow up play...then the ball is brought back for the free.  But, I guess that would be too much of a stop to the AFLs rabid obsession with the frenetic play on at all costs game that they seem intent on manufacturing.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #28
Hearing Polson a definite in this week BUT
 Crippa Kruez and Weiters struggling to be fit  for this week.
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #29
Cripps and Weitering both need a rest.
Weitering has spent a fair bit of time on the sidelines this season due to knocks in games.
We don't know for sure because we're not him, but at times last week his body language suggested he'd just about had enough of the constant battering.
He looks like a player not enjoying his football. His confidence appears to be down and where last season he'd approach the ball with a surety and back himself this year he appears to be tentative.
Give him a week or two off and he may show the benefits of that in the second half of the season.
On balance I'm not sure the forward experiment is giving us the benefit we lose by having him not playing down back. Are we that much better with him as our key forward target?