Skip to main content
Topic: One day squad..No Maxwell???? (Read 21028 times) previous topic - next topic

One day squad..No Maxwell????

The Aus selectors have confirmed Glen Maxwell is on the outer not through poor form on the field but poor form in the dressing room by leaving him out of the ODI squad.
They have to be kidding?..Chris Lynn is in but cant field properly due to injury, Maxwell is probably the best fielder in the country and has been in ok form in the Big Bash.
Steve Smith has said Maxwell has to train smarter....???........ok Smith and the inner circle dont like him but that doesnt mean he gets left out when his form warrants selection and then give a BS random excuse saying he has to train smarter....

Re: One day squad..No Maxwell????

Reply #1
An inexplicable decision ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2

It is indeed a strange decision.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #3

Maybe it's a team game and he doesn't want to do what he's told?
Let's face it, it ain't the first time he's had a kick in the bum.
At 29 you would think he would have pulled his head in

Reply #4

Far from inexplicable clearly. That we don't know the reason (exactly) doesn't make it inexplicable!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #5
Same problem as Peter Handscomb, Brad Hodge, Dean Jones etc etc. If you choose to play for Victoria you limit your chances of playing for Australia

Reply #6
There has to be more to this one than meets the eye of someone like me. Maxwell appears to be doing more of the right thing and certainly has runs on the board this year.

As for Chris Lynn, he was selected on last year's form as much as anything. He has been OK in the big bash, but his fielding is not up to standard. I understand why his fielding is ordinary, but it does look a little strange.

I don't know what Maxwell can do to get back in the good books when form with the bat is not the main criterion. Very interesting to see how he takes it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
Maybe it's a team game and he doesn't want to do what he's told?
Let's face it, it ain't the first time he's had a kick in the bum.
At 29 you would think he would have pulled his head in

Take your point about him being a lone wolf but I think its team Smith with Warner and crew not liking him, we had that incident with Wade when he was the incumbent keeper batting himself above Maxwell in the state game and Maxwell let everyone know he wasnt happy and Smith came out in support of Wade.
He isnt popular IMO but that shouldnt affect selection..Bradman didnt get on with OReilly, Fingleton etc but that didnt affect picking the best team.....Maxwell is one of the best one day cricketers in the country but isnt playing because Smith and crew dont like him IMO and thats wrong....

Reply #8
Take your point about him being a lone wolf but I think its team Smith with Warner and crew not liking him, we had that incident with Wade when he was the incumbent keeper batting himself above Maxwell in the state game and Maxwell let everyone know he wasnt happy and Smith came out in support of Wade.
He isnt popular IMO but that shouldnt affect selection..Bradman didnt get on with OReilly, Fingleton etc but that didnt affect picking the best team.....Maxwell is one of the best one day cricketers in the country but isnt playing because Smith and crew dont like him IMO and thats wrong....

Agree, potentially he is one of the best one day players, but we have a World Cup coming up and Australia need performance not potential.
He obviously has been asked to work on aspects of his game, and he hasn't or won't.
Team Smith and Warner are captain and vice captain and if maxwell thinks he is going to pull the strings he's kidding himself

Reply #9
Far from inexplicable clearly. That we don't know the reason (exactly) doesn't make it inexplicable!

Inexplicable = unable to be explained or accounted for.  I'd like to hear the selectors account for Maxwell's omission.  They may be able make something up but I don't believe they could provide a logical, defensible argument.

I wonder if they could do better than Smith's lame attempt at 'training smarter'. I don't think 'because he's a Victorian' will work.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
Inexplicable = unable to be explained or accounted for.  I'd like to hear the selectors account for Maxwell's omission.  They may be able make something up but I don't believe they could provide a logical, defensible argument.

I wonder if they could do better than Smith's lame attempt at 'training smarter'. I don't think 'because he's a Victorian' will work.

We seem to have a knack for breeding talented dickheads, or at the very least outspoken ones who won't toe the party line. If Maxwell was killing it in domestic cricket they'd have no choice but to pick him but alas his performances aren't at a level that will embarrass the selectors which is what Victorians need to do.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #12
If Maxwell needs to "work on his game" then Mitch Marsh can work on his inconsistent fielding abd lacklustre bowling.

Maxwell is a proven top line ODI player.  His omission is, in simple terms, bullish1t
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #13
If Maxwell needs to "work on his game" then Mitch Marsh can work on his inconsistent fielding abd lacklustre bowling.

Maxwell is a proven top line ODI player.  His omission is, in simple terms, bullish1t

I stick by "inexplicable" but "bullsh1t" would be an acceptable alternative  ;)

Imagine how much better our Australian cricket teams would perform if they were picked on merit rather than the arcane formula that our selectors have used for decades (I remember my father, who played cricket for Carlton) complaining that it was harder to get out of the Test team than to get in (and the same was true for Carlton's district team).  Selection was based on relationships rather than merit and it seems that nothing has changed.

Reply #14
I stick by "inexplicable" but "bullsh1t" would be an acceptable alternative  ;)

Imagine how much better our Australian cricket teams would perform if they were picked on merit rather than the arcane formula that our selectors have used for decades (I remember my father, who played cricket for Carlton) complaining that it was harder to get out of the Test team than to get in (and the same was true for Carlton's district team).  Selection was based on relationships rather than merit and it seems that nothing has changed.

Yep the selectors have had a shocking time this summer ????