Skip to main content
Topic: 5th Test vs England in Sydney (Read 7119 times) previous topic - next topic

5th Test vs England in Sydney

The forecast is for showers in Sydney. The pitch traditionally is slow and spins early. If it has any bounce, our bowlers should do OK, but that is a low probability event. 2 spinners for the Poms? Mmmm.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 5th Test vs England in Sydney

Reply #1
I assume you're referring to Crane and Malan

Reply #3
I dont mind the bumper barrage, but every ball loses any element of surprise.  Poor, dumb session Australia.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #4
I dont mind the bumper barrage, but every ball loses any element of surprise.  Poor, dumb session Australia.

I agree. Set them up by all means then bowl the full one once they're on the back foot. They gave away alot more runs than they should. 2 of the most pathetic dropped catches imaginable didn't help either.l

Reply #5
Bancrofts technical deficiencies laid bare as well.  Needs work, quickly.

Reply #6

Been over done and lost its impact, Broad isnt defending anymore and has been instructed to hit out and thats when he
is dangerous as a tailender....Curran also looks like he has a bit of attitude and while not comfortable is prepared to throw the bat.
Michael Slater was also suggesting its ok to try the bouncer stuff early but then go back to regulation tactics if it isnt working, they probably got 50 extra runs
due to Smith over doing it. You also look at Cummins work load and I'd be thinking he needs a break from the enforcer stuff and be sharing the workload more...

Reply #7
Been over done and lost its impact, Broad isnt defending anymore and has been instructed to hit out and thats when he
is dangerous as a tailender....Curran also looks like he has a bit of attitude and while not comfortable is prepared to throw the bat.
Michael Slater was also suggesting its ok to try the bouncer stuff early but then go back to regulation tactics if it isnt working, they probably got 50 extra runs
due to Smith over doing it. You also look at Cummins work load and I'd be thinking he needs a break from the enforcer stuff and be sharing the workload more...

Watching the ease with which our blokes wound up the Poms last innings I don't think the short ball has lost its impact at all.
The poms certainly didn't like it.

Cummins? Well , the best quick bowler of the series.

Congratulions to the selectors too.
I, like everyone else on here, thought the Marsh bros. were not up to it. How wrong we all were.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #8
Watching the ease with which our blokes wound up the Poms last innings I don't think the short ball has lost its impact at all.

I, like everyone else on here, thought the Marsh bros. were not up to it. How wrong we all were.

Credit where its due re M Marsh's Batting ( he was brought in as bowling back up and went wicket less but nailed the batting spot )

Lets see how he goes against SA.... The Poms were pretty ordinary - gonna be a lot harder over there for all batsmen including Smith.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #9

Agree overall the bouncer been a weapon this series but I thought it was over done at times.....Think the bowling has been a team effort, as much as people like to bag Starc when he was
missing we came back to the field a bit IMO....Cummins was been a workhorse and did a lot of the monkey work on those Roads...
The Marsh bros have done well but I remain unconvinced due to the opposition being so poor, this is the worst English team I have ever seen.....

Reply #10
I was really impressed how the poms stuck at it for almost 200 overs in that heat, showed ticker if nothing else.

Been following the saffies.... I'm very worried for our blokes....  Their batting is so good with de Kock at six that they played four pacemen plus a spinner.... Rabada et al are scary under any conditions.

Our fielding needs to improve 1000% as well.

Reply #11
I was really impressed how the poms stuck at it for almost 200 overs in that heat, showed ticker if nothing else.

Been following the saffies.... I'm very worried for our blokes....  Their batting is so good with de Kock at six that they played four pacemen plus a spinner.... Rabada et al are scary under any conditions.

Our fielding needs to improve 1000% as well.

Actually, outside a few batsmen their batting isn't that strong. I reckon ours overall is better. They had no idea against the moving ball last night and that was against India's pacemen. Admittedly the pitch was juiced up just for India but their batting put themselves in a position where they could lose the Test Match. Our very aggressive bowling would kill their batting line up on those pitches as well if they juiced it up like they did for this Test again India. We always go well in SA, no reason it won't happen again. SA's not that good. They lost in England 2-1.

Yes, our catching during the series wasn't good. Dropped some shockers. You could make an argument that Smith's dropped catches in Melbourne, when Cook was just 66, cost us a 5-0 result.

Reply #12
Actually, outside a few batsmen their batting isn't that strong. I reckon ours overall is better. They had no idea against the moving ball last night and that was against India's pacemen. Admittedly the pitch was juiced up just for India but their batting put themselves in a position where they could lose the Test Match. Our very aggressive bowling would kill their batting line up on those pitches as well if they juiced it up like they did for this Test again India. We always go well in SA, no reason it won't happen again. SA's not that good. They lost in England 2-1.

Yes, our catching during the series wasn't good. Dropped some shockers. You could make an argument that Smith's dropped catches in Melbourne, when Cook was just 66, cost us a 5-0 result.

I think we will start favourites...as you say I think their batting overall isnt as strong but they have a couple of standouts, I'm not as bullish on our batting though and I have noticed Steyn is back bowling which makes their attack better. The only edge I see them having is being at home and they are always a good fielding team with good catchers...I'd take Renshaw for his slip work, cant be any be any worse than Bancroft with the bat either....two lefties opening might also work better vs the Saffies with Steyn and Rabada who bowl outswing.
I wouldnt expect many road like pitches either, reckon they will green up the wickets and back their own bowlers...

Reply #13
I think we will start favourites...as you say I think their batting overall isnt as strong but they have a couple of standouts, I'm not as bullish on our batting though and I have noticed Steyn is back bowling which makes their attack better. The only edge I see them having is being at home and they are always a good fielding team with good catchers...I'd take Renshaw for his slip work, cant be any be any worse than Bancroft with the bat either....two lefties opening might also work better vs the Saffies with Steyn and Rabada who bowl outswing.
I wouldnt expect many road like pitches either, reckon they will green up the wickets and back their own bowlers...

Steyn is injured.
Did a foot I think.
Will be out for 4-6 weeks.