Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Open 2018 (Read 14725 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Open 2018

Reply #60
Why he is the GOAT on and off the field IMO. He is indeed all class.

Roger Federer’s beautiful gesture to family of former coach who tragically passed away in 2002
The Daily Telegraph
January 29, 2018 12:13pm
ROGER Federer shows once again he’s just as much of a champion off the court with a heartwarming gesture to the family of his former coach who tragically passed away in 2002.

After lifting Australian Open title No.6 on Sunday night, a tearful Federer paid tribute to former Australian coach Peter Carter, who was tragically died in a car crash in South Africa in 2002.

“Peter Carter had the biggest impact on me in terms of my technique. That’s what so many people talk about,” Federer said.

“When they talk about my effortless style and technique, I guess. I was able to perfect in later in my life, but he [Carter] set the foundation and that’s why I’m so happy that his parents were at the finals yesterday and saw me win.

Carter’s parents Bob and Diana have been Federer’s guests of honour at every Australian Open since their son passed away 16 years ago, with the Swiss ace emailing them every December with flight details, accommodation bookings, a courtesy car and tickets for the tournament.

In an interview with The Australian in 2012, Bob said: ‘Every year we go at his cost, it’s just amazing, plane fares and courtesy cars. He really looks after us.”

“I hope he knows how much we appreciate that. He used to have us there for two weeks, but we were stuffed! It was so tiring we could hardly get home. We just go for the finals now.”

All class, Roger!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: Australian Open 2018

Reply #61
Yes, agree. Honorable gesture on RF's part.