Skip to main content
Topic: Doc on RSN Breakfast Club last Thursday  (Read 6430 times) previous topic - next topic

Doc on RSN Breakfast Club last Thursday

Do yourself a favour and track down the podcast

He was on for 20 mins and soooooo impressive. A really good listen about his current situation with rehab and coaching, the state of the team and some stuff around tactics I had never heard before

Much better than the usual 3 min media cliche fest from most players

Re: Doc on RSN Breakfast Club last Thursday

Reply #1
Do yourself a favour and track down the podcast

He was on for 20 mins and soooooo impressive. A really good listen about his current situation with rehab and coaching, the state of the team and some stuff around tactics I had never heard before

Much better than the usual 3 min media cliche fest from most players

The word I have is, despite fan preferences, the club have this bloke well ahead of Cripps in the next captain stakes.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=192185

Mil, I assume you mean this one.

OK, so we are yet to work out what game plan best suits us balancing all out attack vs an ultra defensive mindset. We are working our way through this and trying to find a balance that works with this group, pretty difficult given the inconsistencies that come with such a young group. Will be a bumpy road which hopefully will yield a win in the short term otherwise it's gonna be a long year for all concerned.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #4
OK, so we are yet to work out what game plan best suits us balancing all out attack vs an ultra defensive mindset. We are working our way through this and trying to find a balance that works with this group, pretty difficult given the inconsistencies that come with such a young group. Will be a bumpy road which hopefully will yield a win in the short term otherwise it's gonna be a long year for all concerned.

Not just the inconsistencies of youth either. It's also the inconsistency of personnel caused by injury.
It would be extremely hard to settle on a plan when your team looks different every week.
We criticise  the match committee /coaching group at times for persisting with certain players but it may be about creating some form of stability.

That was a really good interview...I was a "Docherty for Captain" man already. That just confirmed it for me. The guys not only a 'football talent but a 'football brain' as well.
We'd have an on-field Captain-Coach

Reply #5
That was a really good interview...I was a "Docherty for Captain" man already. That just confirmed it for me. The guys not only a 'football talent but a 'football brain' as well.

Exactly!

I'd suggest that captaining running off the HBF is 1000% easier than trying to captain from inside a stoppage!

As an inside on-baller, with so many stoppages per game, when do you ever get that moment just to scan around the ground and survey the terrain?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
Not just the inconsistencies of youth either. It's also the inconsistency of personnel caused by injury.
It would be extremely hard to settle on a plan when your team looks different every week.
We criticise  the match committee /coaching group at times for persisting with certain players but it may be about creating some form of stability.

Well said. It was captivating listening, especially in terms of helping listeners to understand the game... and as far as the CFC goes, what our blokes are going through.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
Well said. It was captivating listening, especially in terms of helping listeners to understand the game... and as far as the CFC goes, what our blokes are going through.

I was glad to hear Doc mentioning the chook running of youth which is the reality.

Not the common suggestion that so many draftees are unfit, but that the reality is they burn themselves out through worthless activities.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
I was glad to hear Doc mentioning the chook running of youth which is the reality.

Not the common suggestion that so many draftees are unfit, but that the reality is they burn themselves out through worthless activities.

It may also explain why some draftees come in and average 20ods touches from game one but then fizzle out (Daniel rich, Rhys Palmer etc) - if their coaches are just saying - do what you did at tac level and just hunt the footy. Whereas it sounds like bolts has our kids trying to run the right “patterns” and ensure they are always in the right position for the team.  Less glamorous in the stat sheet, but hopefully will benefit them long term???

Reply #10
It may also explain why some draftees come in and average 20ods touches from game one but then fizzle out (Daniel rich, Rhys Palmer etc) - if their coaches are just saying - do what you did at tac level and just hunt the footy. Whereas it sounds like bolts has our kids trying to run the right “patterns” and ensure they are always in the right position for the team.  Less glamorous in the stat sheet, but hopefully will benefit them long term???

Yep
...and the point Docherty was making was that it takes a little while to learn those patterns.

Reply #11
Doc is a gun and it's great to have 2 quality candidates.... but you'd have to be high to go past Cripps.

Just my opinion.

Reply #12
Doc is a gun and it's great to have 2 quality candidates.... but you'd have to be high to go past Cripps.

Just my opinion.

Maybe we have 3......
There's been much said about Weiters as future captain material.
Lots of it was on here in fact. Remember ?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #14
Maybe we have 3......
There's been much said about Weiters as future captain material.
Lots of it was on here in fact. Remember ?

Noticed Weiters doing a lot of directing in the NBs game but I would think he'd be a tidy distance beind Cripps and the Doc for the gig atm.
Reality always wins in the end.