Skip to main content
Topic: Spy Drones et. al? (Read 17711 times) previous topic - next topic

Spy Drones et. al?

OK, just an off topic rumor.

Some of you may have read or viewed reports of Chinese made "spy chips" being embedded in devices like iPhones, Android Phones, tablets and laptops, etc., etc..

It now seems certain to be true without much doubt on many devices a small surplus serial communications chip about the size of a pinhead was added to many electronic boards manufactured under sub-contract in China.

How that works is unclear but it seems with the right process an electronics or software engineer can access a stream of unencrypted data off your device by accessing/addressing this device remotely.

More disturbingly, especially for those of you who perhaps consider gadgets like this toys, those chips are now being found embedded in devices like drones, Smart TVs, Sportcams, Webcams and even Light Bulbs!

While in the past these may have been the domain of a government, as a foreign agency secret back door. It seems now having been altered to the presence of those chips hackers have worked their way into accessing them, and the hackers activities are expected to be far more malicious. Ads have already appeared on the Dark Web selling access to hoards of devices for nefarious purposes by making sue of the said chip. FWIW, there is a good chance those Ads them-self are bogus and a scam, but you never know!

I don't know what state this leaves everybody's devices in, but it pays to be vigilant when technology is being used. You at least want to make sure your home networks and devices are updated and secured, not sure if it helps but what else can you do?

Maybe it's back to the pen and cheque book! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Re: Spy Drones et. al?

Reply #1
I'm really tolerant of scammers.

Skinned alive and nailed to a fence post in the hot sun is as merciful as I'd get.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #2
Apparently Public Transport Victoria is using drones to monitor crowds and meet demand over the Spring races.  They are also used to detect faults, vandalism, etc and they have PA systems.

I’d love the opportunity to control one of those drones. “Hey! You in the blue shirt. Stop picking your nose!”
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Hey you taggers mooching around the rail yards spray painting and smashing stuff... Have a short burst of caseless 20 mm.

Reply #4
Hey you taggers mooching around the rail yards spray painting and smashing stuff... Have a short burst of caseless 20 mm.

All we'd need then is for the drones to be autonomous.....was watching The Terminator the other night too  !

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #5
So much for the plans of Vicrail or the State Government, those drones will be grounded in these weather conditions, hit tech disappointments! ;D

FFS, this is a typical geek fail, technology that can fly high speed acrobatics through a tropical forest but are grounded in the rain!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
Technology.... Schmectology....the rain kept the boats off the bay, the 2" of rain was painful and caused the sounder to pack it in but the 68 CM red was worth it.

I'd post photos but the rain killed the camera. Snapper steaks aren't photographic.

Reply #7
I have an interesting drone video in my Dropbox - can any tell me how to link/post it here??
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5parb2200sby3d/2017-12-12-VIDEO-000000291.mp4?dl=0

This link may work.
FMD is that for real?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #10
Nice, very black and white, as you would expect from the Yanks. Who decides which side are the goodies and baddies ?

Worldwide, we are spending around $55-$60K per second on weapons.

This is where the left hemisphere, patriarchal reptilian brain has got us.

Do a google search for "v90 vulture AI."

https://futureoflife.org/2017/11/14/ai-researchers-create-video-call-autonomous-weapons-ban-un/

Reply #13
I'm pretty sure the video isn't real, but the potential certainly is.

Fake video but you can be sure the Yanks, Ruskies, Chinese etc are all working on it.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #14
Fake video but you can be sure the Yanks, Ruskies, Chinese etc are all working on it.

Recent advances in AI apparently have been huge and not to the advantage of ordinary citizens you can be sure.
Reality always wins in the end.