Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Contracted or uncontracted? (Read 29274 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW - Contracted or uncontracted?

Reply #60
Callinan sounds like a good signing to the coaches department, there is always something a bit edgy about little people who make it to the highest level, they often have to work harder to an opportunity. I suspect it is why so often back pockets make great coaches.

We are moving house at the moment, and the little ones will be moving school.
Went for a tour of the new school and was chaperoned around by the principal. He seemed nice enough, school seemed nice enough.
Fast forward a week and that same principal is now an AFLW assistant coach at the doggies.
Apparantly even the coaching department need to have 2 jobs to survive as well.
Name didn't ring a bell, so not sure of his history, but i'd be interested to see how he goes. 

Reply #61
I see the Suns are trying to trade Courtney Jones back to Vic, any interest?

I was never fully across why Jones left us in the first place, it felt like just as she was getting over a bad run of injuries and developing some form she was gone.

AFLW is a very very different environment to AFL, it's pretty rare for an AFL player end up back where they started, but I suspect it'll be quite common in AFLW simply because of the rules.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
There are a few quirks.  I expect the northern states are going to struggle with AFL W and the players egos will be a factor.  As it is, the AFL men barely rate a mention up north.   Imagine being a girl expecting to forge a professional career and having no profile to discuss.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #63
I see the Suns are trying to trade Courtney Jones back to Vic, any interest?

I was never fully across why Jones left us in the first place, it felt like just as she was getting over a bad run of injuries and developing some form she was gone.

AFLW is a very very different environment to AFL, it's pretty rare for an AFL player end up back where they started, but I suspect it'll be quite common in AFLW simply because of the rules.

Jones was on our list for 3 years.
2 years she didn't get a game.
3rd year she was actually very good.
Then she left for Gold Coast.

Why? Not really sure, probably just more money.

I'd take her back. We need more forward marking options having lost Harris and Stevens (as well as Jones) in the past 2 seasons leaving us with not much apart from a very raw Milford and a passed her used by date McWilliams.

Reply #64
Jones was on our list for 3 years.
2 years she didn't get a game.
I thought she had multiple injuries in those early years, I think I can recall the team celebrating her getting back on the park?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
I thought she had multiple injuries in those early years, I think I can recall the team celebrating her getting back on the park?

I'm sure she would've been injured for at least part of that.

When the list is 30, and 21 run out every week, that leaves only 9 that didn't. Half of the 9 that don't play are usually because of injury.
If you are part of the half of the 9 that isn't injured and still don't play, then you basically get flicked at the end of the year.

Reply #66
Mimi Hill signs an extension to be on our list until the end of 2024 (the only one to be signed up on a new 2 year deal starting now).

Plenty of other signings coming up soon as we have plenty of players out of contract, and a few who deserve an extention too.

If only we had a coach......

Reply #67
Club has announced signings of Kez Peterson and Bri Moody.

Now, with Hill, they made a point of saying 2024.
They did not do that with Peterson and Moody which makes me think its just for 2023.

Now, based on my records, they were already signed on for 2023.

So either the club is trying to churn out some good news stories by telling little white lies (they were already signed) or the club needs to work on their communication skills by pointing out its for an additional year......or i got it wrong initially, which i don't think is the case as i only update it when i get a confirmation from the club.

Curious.

Reply #68
Now, with Hill, they made a point of saying 2024.
They did not do that with Peterson and Moody which makes me think its just for 2023.
I heard a coach interviewed about Peterson and they said it was for 2023, maybe 2023 was a contract option that has been triggered.

Yes, it's a bit ducks and drakes, not many drakes in AFLW! :o

The bigger issue for me is head coach who?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
I heard a coach interviewed about Peterson and they said it was for 2023, maybe 2023 was a contract option that has been triggered.

Yes, it's a bit ducks and drakes, not many drakes in AFLW! :o

The bigger issue for me is head coach who?

So.....should i send the club a please explain??

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1140481/captain-kerryn-recommits-for-two-more
Kerryn Peterson has put pen to paper and signed on for another two seasons with the Game Changers.

By Carlton Media on Jun 8, 2022, 4:55pm

That was in the middle of the year, between the 2 seasons of 2022.
So that includes the 2nd season of 2022 and 2023.

I reckon i could find similar for Moody and a few others if i looked.

As i said, i don't update the thread unless its confirmed from the club

Reply #70
Interesting wording in the two recent articles.  Contract extensions aren't mentioned, just Kerryn and Brea committing or re-committing for 2023.  I guess they're just making it clear that they aren't looking for a trade  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #71
Interesting wording in the two recent articles.  Contract extensions aren't mentioned, just Kerryn and Brea committing or re-committing for 2023.  I guess they're just making it clear that they aren't looking for a trade  :-\

Yep.

The club is putting on a front saying 'all is well' when in reality, people are jumping ship, we STILL don't have a coach and there is more pain ahead.

If they wanted to highlight the fact that the girls are staying and are 'carlton for life' etc, then do that. Don't pretend like its something it isn't.

Of course if they REALLY wanted to do that, then extend their contract to 2024 like they did with Mimi Hill.

Poor PR spin from the club.

Reply #72
Guerin, Sherar and Vickers extend til end of 2024 season.

Reply #73
Brooke Walker jumps to Bombers for Pick 9.

She hasn't lived up to the hype of late, but f*** me, we could still use her.

Talent is getting VERY THIN.

Reply #74
Mass exodus.
How do the club expect supporters to get behind this debacle,?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.