Skip to main content
Topic: The Barty Party (Read 14100 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Barty Party

Reply #75
Not a big fan of tennis in general but I don't mind watching closely matched top seeds as long as there is little grunting.

We may be brothers, Spotted One. Exactly the same here. If the grunting starts, the channel is changed or the teev is muted.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #76
What a great final, either would have been worthy winners.

Barty is pure professional, one of the best I've ever seen, a lot of men should be taking notes!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #77
Collins would have been a worthy winner?  Wasn't she 5 - 1 up in the second set?  Barty killed her.

Reply #78
What a great final, either would have been worthy winners.

Barty is pure professional, one of the best I've ever seen, a lot of men should be taking notes!

Yep, ripper final. That fight back from the Barty was sensational. Both their media speeches post game were all class... Collins admitted she'd have to add more variety to her game, which she acknowledged that the Barty has. Nice touch from TA having Yvonne ready to present... they were due to get something right ;)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #79
Yep, ripper final. That fight back from the Barty was sensational. Both their media speeches post game were all class... Collins admitted she'd have to add more variety to her game, which she acknowledged that the Barty has. Nice touch from TA having Yvonne ready to present... they were due to get something right ;)
@Baggers Yes it's funny, watching I could almost sense Collins learning on the run, she knew what she needed to do to compete but seemed resigned to not being able to implement it on the fly, yet she never gave up. With good fortune she probably has a long career and retires with a brace of titles, most do not realise it was Collins first ever grand slam final.

At one stage it looked like Collins had overcome, but Courier and Dokic kept telling us momentum would swing, but it was hard for non-tennis fans to see that happening in the moment. But the experts were right, you can't beat the math and all things return to baseline sooner or later. Courier asserted the test wouldn't be if it happened, but if when it happened could Barty take advantage. Could she take it, she slayed it!

At the very end we momentarily saw the inner beast, watching the footage Barty said "That's not me!", but it is and it sort of explains why she is different now to when she first played.

For me, Barty is uber professional, she exhibits the best traits of her various opponents and reminds me of Borg and a mature Fedora. For a Sci Fi reference, maybe without being an evil version she is Women's tennis version of "The Borg", learning from every opponent and returning fire!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #80
Barty's ability to recognise, adapt and counter her opponent's strengths is outstanding.  Collins dug deep to get back in the contest but Barty took it in her stride and methodically dismantled Collins's game.  Well done Ash, a very worthy champion ... and what a humble, respectful, gracious and loyal person she is!

A couple of years ago I gave up on Nick Kyrgios and vowed never to support him.  He is now the voice of reason and one of the tennis players who understand that the game needs to involve the spectators.  Purcell and Ebden would have been worthy winners but the Special Ks were just too good.

Well done Nick and Thanasi 👏

And not a grunt to be heard from any of the six players on court :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #81
Superb Rafael ... no wonder he likes Australia.

Reply #83
Helps when we kicked the best player in the world out of the country for him.
When did we boot Federer?

As an aside, can Medvedev ever be No.1? I didn't watch all the Mens final, but I heard at one stage Medvedev was complaining about the ball boys, is that serious, is that bullying, and did he cry when he didn't get his way?

In some way the men's final must have mirrored the women's, with what I've read this morning an ultimate professional unpicking a limited trick pony.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #85

As an aside, can Medvedev ever be No.1? I didn't watch all the Mens final, but I heard at one stage Medvedev was complaining about the ball boys, is that serious, is that bullying, and did he cry when he didn't get his way?

In some way the men's final must have mirrored the women's, with what I've read this morning an ultimate professional unpicking a limited trick pony.

Federer is ranked 17 and might not play again.

Medvedev is a gun but the pressure, the crowd and the 2nd or 3rd best player of all time did him in.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #86

Medvedev can certainly reach #1 - he's only 25, and with Federer gone, Nadal on borrowed time, and Djokovic 34 yo and likely to be banned from other tournaments because of his vax stance, Medvedev looks like the next most likely to win a slew of Slam titles.  Thiem and Zverev are others in the conversation to step up, with Tsitsipas is a step or two behind them.

He does need to learn how to keep his cool - as soon as he started mouthing off last night, his concentration dropped and the unforced errors multiplied.  And stirring up the crowd only poured fuel on the fire. 
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #87
Abusing ball boys is hardly a great start to win over the local crowd.   :P

Reply #88
Abusing ball boys is hardly a great start to win over the local crowd.   :P
To be fair, all he did was request that the boys at the end of the court have an equal number of balls each when he was serving - he didn't abuse them.  Medvedev was bemused that they had to run to each other and hand the balls over, not throw them.  But it was another example of a clumsy approach to a simple request.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #89
Is there an asterix on Barty's win given Serena was unable to compete because of injury? Of course not. Same goes for Nadal's win: Djokovic was absent for medical reasons too, although in his case he could have easily avoided them by getting the damn jab. The only way there should be an asterix next to Nadal's achievement is as a reminder of what a dickhead Novax is.