Skip to main content
Topic: Formula 1 (Read 95965 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Formula 1

Reply #180
You'd think Toto is a dead man walking, at that level despite all the success you have had those sort of mistakes are not tolerated, and he's had 2 or 3 of the same this season alone, but none as costly!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #181
Found it amusing.  Especially since that global warming hypocrite Hamilton lost.

Reply #182
A reminder of why I stopped watching the sport years ago.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #184
The Duckworth-Lewis system in 50 over cricket matches isn't perfect, but at least both sides know what will happen if the match has to be shortened. The race marshall basically made it up as he went along. It's equivalent in 50 over cricket would be letting the host broadcaster nominate whatever target seems to be a good idea at the time.

Reply #185
You'd think Toto is a dead man walking, at that level despite all the success you have had those sort of mistakes are not tolerated, and he's had 2 or 3 of the same this season alone, but none as costly!

What mistakes did he make?
None today/last night.

Reply #186
A reminder of why I stopped watching the sport years ago.
The Duckworth-Lewis system in 50 over cricket matches isn't perfect, but at least both sides know what will happen if the match has to be shortened. The race marshall basically made it up as he went along. It's equivalent in 50 over cricket would be letting the host broadcaster nominate whatever target seems to be a good idea at the time.

Not sure if you guys watched the post race breakdown but it was made relatively clear why everything happened the way it did. When you hear the reasons behind it all, it's hard to argue.

Basically safety was #1 and letting them race was #2 (and not letting penalties decide the winner)

Hamilton was not penalised at the start.
Verstappen got a bit of luck at the end.
3 different world champions all said there are some issues, but they were allowed to race and both were helped/hindered equally throughout the race 1-1 in decisions. They wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Reply #189
It was Toto that fecked up, all the complaints are just covering his ar5e!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #190
It was Toto that fecked up, all the complaints are just covering his ar5e!
Again, I ask why did he feck up?

Strategy wise he did what was right at the time.

In a race where all you have to do is beat one guy, the only thing that matters is staying in front of one guy. Had he done anything else, he would've given up track position and fallen behind that one guy.
Red bull were brilliant with their strategy, but realistically, all they had to do was do the opposite of Mercedes. The best thing red bull did was pit for the softs at the end. Had they not made that pit (which they could've stayed out) Max's tyres may not have been good enough for that last lap pass.
The other thing that red bull did that was gold was using perez to back Hamilton up. How perez managed to hold him up and get about 7 seconds of the gap gone in a few laps was master-class. "He's an animal"

Reply #191
Toto's missed pit calls several times this season costing Hamilton probably enough points to have come into the last round with an unassailable lead, and he should have pitted Hamilton last night and didn't.

Calling up Masi demanding for no safety car just moments after a significant crash isn't tactical management, it is begging.

Red Bull acted, Toto fiddled while Hamilton burned!

It will be interesting to see if Toto survives, if he does it's a concession Japan has bettered Germany in the engine technology race.

I don't think there is much separating those two drivers, mostly politics.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #192
Toto's missed pit calls several times this season costing Hamilton probably enough points to have come into the last round with an unassailable lead, and he should have pitted Hamilton last night and didn't.

Calling up Masi demanding for no safety car just moments after a significant crash isn't tactical management, it is begging.

Red Bull acted, Toto fiddled while Hamilton burned!
Forget about what happened prior to the last race.
From last night, he did nothing wrong.

If he pits Lewis at any other point, Max gets track position by not pitting. The latifi incident at the end is a 1 / 100 chance of happening the way it did. That one chance occurred last night. Play that race again and 99 other times lewis wins because latifi doesn't crash then and Lewis is still leading.

Yes Toto begging was average, but horner was doing it a lap earlier begging for lapped cars to be let through.
Toto could see however many millions been 'taken from him and his company and he is right to get emotional.

Damon Hill, Jensen Button and Nico Rosberg all said that Lewis should've been penalised at the start and that ultimately letting them race at the end was the right thing to do.

The only grey area is 'only' letting the 5 cars passed, but reality is, letting the other cars passed has no bearing on their individual races, but could ultimately mean the safety car is required for another lap (while they jnlap themselves) and hands the title to Lewis under yellows.
I think common sense was at play there, even if there was no real scope for that decision in the rule book.

For the record, I don't feel strongly one way or the other for Lewis and Max. Either way its a good story, and either way an arrogant prick wins it.

I appreciated the spectacle of it. The last 2 races,  including qualifying, have been some of the best races I've ever seen.
Martin Brundle said its the best championship he's seen in his 25 years commentating.

How people were turned off by that I don't understand.

Reply #193
I doubt we will agree on this, Toto is no beginner, and they would have planned in advance for events unfolding like they did, they missed the opportunity to pit Hamilton and then began to cry as a strategy, it's not the first time, because they have learnt that whingers are winners.

Then when the safety car came out and it looked like heading in they complained wanting the race finished under it. Masi did exactly what fans want to see, delivered a race, Mercedes wanted a finish under parade laps, some may say celebrating the first turn theft!

fwiw, I've seen Hamilton using the whinging tactics all season by default now. Whenever someone has a car on the day capable of taking the inside line he just drives on and complains "He ran me off the road!", all the while not slowing anywhere near enough to actual take the corner even if there was no opponent there, it is a deliberate pre-planned choice as is the almost instantaneous follow up complaint!

They all do it, in various race conditions, but this is the first season I've seen it used repeatedly as a tactic. The authorities are powerless, because it's actually part of the rule book, it's just a loophole Mercedes exploit. As for Hamilton returning the time gain, hardly, another smokescreen!

Verstappen is no better, or at least Red Bull acting on his behalf, it's making the sport a joke.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #194
I doubt we will agree on this, Toto is no beginner, and they would have planned in advance for events unfolding like they did, they missed the opportunity to pit Hamilton and then began to cry as a strategy, it's not the first time, because they have learnt that whingers are winners.
I think you are misremembering the events of the race.

Whatever Toto and Mercedes did, Red Bull would've done the opposite.
If Hamilton pits, Red bull do not.
Hamilton didn't, so red bull did.

Toto's hands were tied and i reckon he'd do the same thing again next time, and if i was him, i would too. There was no opportunity to pit Hamilton that wouldn't have put him behind the only person he couldn't afford to be behind.

Its perfectly summed up by Christian Horners comments with 10 laps to go. "we need a miracle for Max to win this" and after the race "We got our miracle"

Mercedes got lucky with the 'no call' at the start of the race, and didn't put a foot wrong from there. They were simply unlucky courtesy of the 'latifi miracle'.

Then when the safety car came out and it looked like heading in they complained wanting the race finished under it. Masi did exactly what fans want to see, delivered a race, Mercedes wanted a finish under parade laps, some may say celebrating the first turn theft!

fwiw, I've seen Hamilton using the whinging tactics all season by default now. Whenever someone has a car on the day capable of taking the inside line he just drives on and complains "He ran me off the road!", all the while not slowing anywhere near enough to actual take the corner even if there was no opponent there, it is a deliberate pre-planned choice as is the almost instantaneous follow up complaint!

They all do it, in various race conditions, but this is the first season I've seen it used repeatedly as a tactic. The authorities are powerless, because it's actually part of the rule book, it's just a loophole Mercedes exploit. As for Hamilton returning the time gain, hardly, another smokescreen!

Verstappen is no better, or at least Red Bull acting on his behalf, it's making the sport a joke.
All of this is a comment about the sport and the way its raced/run currently. Everyone is in the same boat equally, and is not really relevant to the result.