Skip to main content
Topic: Formula 1 (Read 95651 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Formula 1

Reply #210
It will be a long long season for Aussie F1 fans, Ricciardo was stitched up by McLaren which naturally favours it's home boy Norris, but Ricciardo was able to make some progress simply because of his record.

Piastri has nothing to offer McLaren in the short term, no traction, no gravitas, and pretty much everything to lose if the team fail to support him. I have some business associates who attended Bahrain and the word is McLaren were using terms like disappointing in regards to Piastri's testing and performance, it shows how cut-throat F1 really is, most of those whispers will be coming from the management of other drivers.

Yet it looks very much to me like it's the car and not the drivers that are the problem. They may have pandered to Norris a bit too much and have as a result formulated a spud of a car, a car that is tuned to Norris's unique skills and flaws but is in effect a dead-end as far as being competitive is concerned.

Norris is going to have to lift McLaren out of the mire, if he can't then white anting Ricciardo might have been the worst decision of his career!

In the meantime, over at RBR they are reaping the benefits from having Ricciardo back in the Testing / R&D train.

McLarens issue has always been the car.
Norris was favoured because he doesn't know any different and has always driven the car. If he went somewhere else, he'd have to relearn how to drive.
Ricciardo had to relearn how to drive and it went against his instincts and you need to rely on your instincts at that level.

Piastri is a good driver with a lot to learn and a lemon to learn it in. Good luck. Mark Webber should hand back a large portion of his wages for such a poor advisement re joining McLaren.

Zac Brown has to be a dead man walking. Has had all the money and resources and top drivers to boot and somehow manages to underperform on a regular basis. Start getting your things in order, because you be looking for a new job in 2024....if not before.

Reply #211
Oh Mr Hart, what a mess!

Said to the family at the second last re-start (2 laps to go) that there will be chaos and three or four cars will go out and another red flag will happen. 

Other than that, thought it was a pretty good race, with a bit more passing than usual and a little more unpredictable with the grid how it was.  Perez, Alonso, dare I say Stroll, Gasly, Norris, Sainz all did well.  Piastri drove well too - lucky to be in the points, but there are plenty of times you don't get luck in F1, so take them.

Reply #212
Oh Mr Hart, what a mess!

Said to the family at the second last re-start (2 laps to go) that there will be chaos and three or four cars will go out and another red flag will happen. 

Other than that, thought it was a pretty good race, with a bit more passing than usual and a little more unpredictable with the grid how it was.  Perez, Alonso, dare I say Stroll, Gasly, Norris, Sainz all did well.  Piastri drove well too - lucky to be in the points, but there are plenty of times you don't get luck in F1, so take them.

I thought a couple of the red flags were rediculous. The first one surely they could have swept the road with the safety car. It ruined Russell's and Sainz tyre advantage.
The second one to clear debris? Really? Are they going to red flag a race every time there is a bit of carbon fibre on the track now? Thats a crap call.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #213
While I suspect Ricciardo's demise was long on the cards, it's looking more and more like McLaren is pretty much the poison chalice of F1.

Pretty much everyone except Norris has struggled in the cars, I get the feeling Norris while being unreliably quick might be the root cause of the problems, being given and being told what he wants and not what he needs. This is the problem when F1 teams become dependant on the money drivers bring in, and less dependant on the drivers knowledge, skill or ability.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #214
So Eccelstone pockets $750M, buying shares, properties, earning some interest at worst for years and years, money pocketed for decades!

He gets out of a $750M fraud charge by paying back $1B.

Have I missed something here?

There are rules for the rich and rules for the rest of us, if this was a $750M art heist let's say a war crime, the perpetrator would be going to the wall!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #215
Lewis breaks the internet. Every driver wants to drive for the oldest and most prestigious team in F1. Will be ironic if he can jag no 8 in red and break Schueys record. Good move by Ferrari, with Rory Byrne back also overseeing the F1 program the less Italians in key positions the better.
#Ferrari_is_F1
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #216
It would seem the Karma Bus is a couple of blocks away from Horner's house and he's about to step onto the curb. Low life, cocky  a-hole about to get his comeuppance (I hope).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #217
The bloke earned $15+million a year, is the best in the world at what he does, is married to a spice girl and gets to travel the world watching the fastest cars in the world go round from the best seat in the house every 2nd weekend.

I think he's got.every right to be arrogant.

Reply #218
It seems the full story is not as cut and dry as the media make out, why am I not surprised!

The hard left fascist media feminists want to paint the bloke as a misogynist multi-millionaire who steps on people for a living.

The reality is he sits at the top of a brutal sport, you can't just be good to survive, you have to be the best of the best.

It seems behind the scenes, and well before the complaints were made, issues had been raised about the performance of the complainant. In effect for being warned to pull up their socks and keep to their boundaries instead of lifting their game they responded with assertions of bullying. This is a modern phenomena, something quite foreign to people over 40, but at epidemic levels in the 20 to 30 age group.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #219
It seems the full story is not as cut and dry as the media make out, why am I not surprised!

The hard left fascist media feminists want to paint the bloke as a misogynist multi-millionaire who steps on people for a living.

The reality is he sits at the top of a brutal sport, you can't just be good to survive, you have to be the best of the best.

It seems behind the scenes, and well before the complaints were made, issues had been raised about the performance of the complainant. In effect for being warned to pull up their socks and keep to their boundaries instead of lifting their game they responded with assertions of bullying. This is a modern phenomena, something quite foreign to people over 40, but at epidemic levels in the 20 to 30 age group.

I've heard 2 versions, with the above being the most common.

The other is unsolicited 'pics' sent from Horners phone.

I'm not sure if the latter version is part of a smear campaign from her side, or even a rivals side (or rival fan), but if it is the option listed above, then we should expect a lot more of this in the future from the 'woke' generation.

Reply #220
The other is unsolicited 'pics' sent from Horners phone.
With AI and Phone Spoofing software none of that can be trusted anymore, they can create a fake image and have it sent to any phone number from any other phone number, and if the complaints to the carrier aren't made early enough the trace records are long gone.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #221
Interesting to hear the legal claims from Massa regarding 2008, not much F1 could have done at the time, but certainly in hindsight he's got a very good case following the revelations the Piquet Singapore crash was deliberate.

In my opinion, the fact that the FIA later banned a number of Renault managers and technicians, leaves the FIA with little ground to stand on.

Massa deserves compensation as a minimum, and quite possibly the 2008 world title.

I suspect the FIA defence will assert Ecclestone has dementia or is otherwise losing his 93 year old marbles.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #222
Interesting to hear the legal claims from Massa regarding 2008, not much F1 could have done at the time, but certainly in hindsight he's got a very good case following the revelations the Piquet Singapore crash was deliberate.

In my opinion, the fact that the FIA later banned a number of Renault managers and technicians, leaves the FIA with little ground to stand on.

Massa deserves compensation as a minimum, and quite possibly the 2008 world title.

I suspect the FIA defence will assert Ecclestone has dementia or is otherwise losing his 93 year old marbles.

There is no way that the world championship will get reallocated to Massa.
Not sure what his game is, but he needs to let it go.

If this goes through then pandoras box get its lid completely blown off.

Any sport that has had some kind of insider better would be open to have the result changed and the knockons from all of that.
Of course Hamilton would lose his title, and then immediatly start up his own lawsuit on the one he lost to verstappen because of the broken rules by Massi.
There was talk about Alonso been given a 20second penalty and then having it overturned late last year so he could get his 100th podium was the result of corruption and potentially betting as well.

The tour de france would have its winner changed every year everytime there is a new retrospective drug bust there.
etc

THEN you have the people complaining about their bets not being honoured at the time, even though 2-10-30 years later a result is changed to what they had at the time.
Then class action lawsuits start of the back of that....

So no.
It won't be changed.

Reply #223
So no.
It won't be changed.
Regardless, I think he is a significant chance for some sort of payout, even if it's just to drop the lawsuit, because reality is when Renault directed Piquet to crash to bring Alonso back into contention it was deliberate. None of that can be debated because they have all since confessed, and it looks like in old age Eccelstone has disclosed they knew that at the time not just retrospectively.

Whether it was in or out of the rules of the time might be debated, deliberately crashing into barriers wasn't explicitly written in at that time as far as I know, but the FIA banned the Renault people so it must have thought it was crook.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #224
Regardless, I think he is a significant chance for some sort of payout, even if it's just to drop the lawsuit, because reality is when Renault directed Piquet to crash to bring Alonso back into contention it was deliberate. None of that can be debated because they have all since confessed, and it looks like in old age Eccelstone has disclosed they knew that at the time not just retrospectively.

Whether it was in or out of the rules of the time might be debated, deliberately crashing into barriers wasn't explicitly written in at that time as far as I know, but the FIA banned the Renault people so it must have thought it was crook.

So if Wayne Harmes said, yep, 100% the ball was out. Do we owe something to Collingwood? If the (then) VFL officials said, we knew it was out, and didn't say anything, do we hand them the flag?

I remember the GP, i remember Martin Brundle at the time saying that is a VERY UNUSUAL place for someone to crash and it doesn't make sense. He called it live.
With the amount of telemetry they have available, ,it doesn't take much for them to work out the excess throttle, or steering was applied on that lap and none other before it, causing the 'accident'. So knowing about it, is one thing. Being against the rules is another.

In the last race, every man and his dog knew that Magnussen was backing up cars behind him so that Hulkenberg could get a pit-stop gap between him and everyone else.

It worked. Haas got their point. Everyone else sooked it up behind. It is not against the rules. So it stands.

Deliberately crashing is not against the rules. So whatever happens from there is irrelevent.