Skip to main content
Topic: T20 - Is it a mirage? (Read 1900 times) previous topic - next topic

T20 - Is it a mirage?

I've got to make this observation about T20 cricket.

I'm not a huge fan but I do appreciate some of the skills, yet I can see that the plasticity in the rules means it's not very useful for measuring cricket talent.

One thing I've noted, the effectiveness of a bowler seems geared to their level of exposure to the batsmen. The more a batsmen becomes familiar with a bowler the greater the toll the batsmen takes on any overs bowled. What this means is that often the newbie bowler, in yesterday's case Ellis bowling for Sydney Thunder, often has the best economy rate.

It's not primarily the bowler's skill that has them perform well, but also the batsmen's ignorance.
The Force Awakens!

Re: T20 - Is it a mirage?

Reply #1
I've got to make this observation about T20 cricket.

I'm not a huge fan but I do appreciate some of the skills, yet I can see that the plasticity in the rules means it's not very useful for measuring cricket talent.

One thing I've noted, the effectiveness of a bowler seems geared to their level of exposure to the batsmen. The more a batsmen becomes familiar with a bowler the greater the toll the batsmen takes on any overs bowled. What this means is that often the newbie bowler, in yesterday's case Ellis bowling for Sydney Thunder, often has the best economy rate.

It's not primarily the bowler's skill that has them perform well, but also the batsmen's ignorance.

20/20 cricket is all about the batting, bowlers are of secondary importance. There is a fine line in beating the bat with a slower ball and having it still go for six given the short boundaries. if you bowl 3ft wide of off stump and go for 30 off your 4 overs you are a champ in this format of cricket.
It has really messed with test cricket/techniques etc and the Indian IPL has a lot to answer for....South Africa are a rabble due to quotas but also due to good players being tempted by Kolpak offers from county teams who play so much short format games now.
Chris Gayle sent the message to all West Indian kids to forget about test cricket and play the short formats and get yourself a Palace to live in and a Hummer to drive around Jamaica..beats a baggy red cap and your name on a cricket ground honor roll.