Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 113337 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #1320
Zwarry used to organise catch ups at games.  I think I met Cookie, Bluesgirl and Enz at one game.

VFL games were good for catch ups too; I saw Baggers, Riverrat and Amers at Punt Road.

And you’re right G2C, we all saw the games differently 🙂

I remember that day at the G DJ. Quite a few years ago now.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #1321
I feel sorry for Crawf, top bloke, hasn't done much wrong, he would love to give live theatre a real crack.

But it appears the knives are out for him, and it's a lost cause he'll never get a fair hearing.

The arts terrorists have kyboshed his gig, despite some of the critics honestly reporting he was surprisingly good, in fact they reported far far better than they expected, the rest just want to kick an AFL footballer or open up a slot as a job for a mate, and Crawf doesn't fit the bill.

The footy supporting live arts community should blacklist the show, but Crawf wouldn't want that and it will only make things worse for him long term and hurt the rest of the crew that have worked so hard in rehearsals!

Some of these people happily tell the general public it's bigoted, homophobic or holds some other prejudice, and yet as they beg for inclusion with one hand they stab Crawf in the back with the other! What is it to be, inclusion or an eye for an eye?

Crawf probably needs to head interstate or OS to get a fair run at it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1322
From the the clips that I have seen he is terrible, he can't sing which is obviously a requirement. Perhaps they used him to promote the show to sell tickets and now they have flicked him to get a real performer.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #1323
I feel sorry for Crawf, top bloke, hasn't done much wrong, he would love to give live theatre a real crack.

But it appears the knives are out for him, and it's a lost cause he'll never get a fair hearing.

The arts terrorists have kyboshed his gig, despite some of the critics honestly reporting he was surprisingly good, in fact they reported far far better than they expected, the rest just want to kick an AFL footballer or open up a slot as a job for a mate, and Crawf doesn't fit the bill.

The footy supporting live arts community should blacklist the show, but Crawf wouldn't want that and it will only make things worse for him long term and hurt the rest of the crew that have worked so hard in rehearsals!

Some of these people happily tell the general public it's bigoted, homophobic or holds some other prejudice, and yet as they beg for inclusion with one hand they stab Crawf in the back with the other! What is it to be, inclusion or an eye for an eye?

Crawf probably needs to head interstate or OS to get a fair run at it!
I heard Crawf talk about the gig before it actually went 'live'.

He had MASSIVE reservations and didn't want to do it. He knows he "Can't sing" but they kept pumping him up to the point he said he'd at least give it a crack.

He said he was only going to do the Melbourne shows (and maybe.....Sydney(?)) and then reevaluate.

I've got no idea whereabouts he is within that run and if that remains true, but he certainly doesn't NEED to do it and is just giving it a crack for $h!ts and giggles.

Reply #1324
It's amazing how the dodgy Submarine deal done by Scomo has exposed the partisan nature of US Politics, we basically have two groups, one that is all for AUKUS sharing global power, policing and responsibility, and the other that is all for hoarding the resources.

Whether you are for or against AUKUS, one side of that debate is clearly untenable on a global scale!

Personally, I think Australia has no choice but to configure itself for it's own defence. Can you imagine relying on someone like Trump to come to your aid if he was positioned as the meat in a China / Australia sandwich? He'd sell you out faster than he could emit a COVID riddled sneeze. Australia being dependant on someone like Trump is not outside the realms of possibility!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1325
We are all at the mercy of the super powers.  If our interests run contrary to any others we are in trouble, unless we can do the enemy of enemy is my friend shuffle.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1326
We are all at the mercy of the super powers.  If our interests run contrary to any others we are in trouble, unless we can do the enemy of enemy is my friend shuffle.
There is a old Roman saying in Latin which when roughly translated says " If you want peace then prepare for War"........

Reply #1327
I read the Green Scum run City of Yarra Council took the day off despite opposition to Australia Day. Parasites and hypocrites all rolled into one.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1328
Hope you don't chastise Republicans for taking King's/Queens's bday, non-christians for taking Easter/Christmas, non-horseracing fans for Melbourne cup etc.

I don't give a rats about Australia day, never have, never will.  There is a jigoistic tone creeping into Australia and I am not a fan.  Got given tickets to the basketball the other day.  Phoenix v Wildcats.  The National anthem was sung - no idea why - it was just a h&a game.  Totally unnecessary.

I saw the start of the semi finals on TV - they were singing the National Anthem for a game of tennis.  I wondered why, but will give them grace as it is Australia day.  I'll be bemused if they play it before the semis tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong - we live in the a great country, I love it here, just don't need 'patriotism'.

Reply #1329
Thinly veiled redneckism.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #1330

Hope you don't chastise Republicans for taking King's/Queens's bday, non-christians for taking Easter/Christmas, non-horseracing fans for Melbourne cup etc.

I don't give a rats about Australia day, never have, never will.  There is a jigoistic tone creeping into Australia and I am not a fan.  Got given tickets to the basketball the other day.  Phoenix v Wildcats.  The National anthem was sung - no idea why - it was just a h&a game.  Totally unnecessary.

I saw the start of the semi finals on TV - they were singing the National Anthem for a game of tennis.  I wondered why, but will give them grace as it is Australia day.  I'll be bemused if they play it before the semis tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong - we live in the a great country, I love it here, just don't need 'patriotism'.

We are a great country but you hate everything about us.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #1331
I don't give a rats about Australia day, never have, never will.  There is a jigoistic tone creeping into Australia and I am not a fan. 

Like anything else, there are probably a whole lot of levels of 'patriotism.'
And like other things it is usually the extreme levels that get highlighted.

What I suspect is occurring, and why it may seem to be more prominent, is a bit of a 'kick-back' from folks who are resentful of their traditional values and opinions being challenged.

People rarely change those.
They're pretty much entrenched by life experiences...(or lack of)
Challenging them either drives them underground or they hit back with enhanced expressions of 'patriotism'

Real progress occurs through generational change.
I consider myself pretty much middle of the road on most issues.
I'm a little bit more patriotic and conservative on some issues, very liberal on others.
I'm much less conservative, than my parents and their generation...but my own children are much more liberal than myself.

Reply #1332
Not at all, NBB.  Am very lucky to have been born here.  If I hated it, I would go elsewhere.

Reply #1333
I understand where dodge is coming from. You can reach a tipping point with nationalism where it becomes an ugly force. Australia is hardly alone is promoting this kind of low brow self exhalation. All countries do it.

Reply #1334
I can't think of too many countries that don't do it for at least some day or time of the year.

In the year 2525 when there is no race, religion, or nations...well, we'll probably have a whole lot of other problems to deal with...on the new planet.