Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 113425 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #1680
Many of our Melbourne residents will have seen the tobacco shop fire bombings reported on the news services over the last few months. Here's a tip for the Victoria Police, if you want to catch the purps in the act, sit yourselves covertly across the road from tobacco shops that haven't been firebombed yet and you'll get your man/men. It can't be that hard can it?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1681
As much as I agree gi2c, here is the issue.  Cost benefit analysis.

The cost of staking out a joint every day, until it gets hit, outweighs the benefit of doing so.

At least that's how government departments do things.  They will simply point to insurance companies paying out as a reason why not to do it, and they also will have a fair idea whom is behind it anyway.  These won't be random acts of violence but targeted organised crime.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theage.com.au/national/victoria/tobacco-shop-set-ablaze-in-another-suspicious-fire-in-melbourne-s-north-20231025-p5ees8.html
A tobacco store in Melbourne’s north has been set ablaze for a second time as police continue to probe a spate of targeted arson attacks linked to organised crime wars over the illicit tobacco trade.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1682
As much as I agree gi2c, here is the issue.  Cost benefit analysis.

The cost of staking out a joint every day, until it gets hit, outweighs the benefit of doing so.

At least that's how government departments do things.  They will simply point to insurance companies paying out as a reason why not to do it, and they also will have a fair idea whom is behind it anyway.  These won't be random acts of violence but targeted organised crime.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theage.com.au/national/victoria/tobacco-shop-set-ablaze-in-another-suspicious-fire-in-melbourne-s-north-20231025-p5ees8.html
A tobacco store in Melbourne’s north has been set ablaze for a second time as police continue to probe a spate of targeted arson attacks linked to organised crime wars over the illicit tobacco trade.

Agree, its all about resources vs results in policing from what I have been told by friends and relo's in the job, and unfortunately there isnt enough money/staff to throw at every crime on mass and they have to think what the end results look like and what the priorities are at the minute.

Reply #1683
It's a bit strange that with the world 'on the brink' that that the lead story on the news is the death of a 1990s sitcom actor. ???

Reply #1684
Not sure that it is, Lods.

Perry entertained a whole heap of people and had his struggles - a lot of these people 'knew' him as the characters that he played and have a connection.

Armed conflict sucks.  There is a hopelessness and despair attached to it - there becomes a point where we need a break from it being the lead item for 15 mins everyday.  It is still reported and covered but off the front page for a short while.  It won't disappear - although the Ukraine/Russia conflict isn't as prominently reported even though it is still quite active.  That may because it is 18 months in.

Reply #1685
It's a bit strange that with the world 'on the brink' that that the lead story on the news is the death of a 1990s sitcom actor. ???

Sad reality Matthew Perry's death impacts people on a personal level that the other conflicts don't.

Most people wouldnt have a concept of the places, or the people impacted by war.  The world is war weary, weve been hearing about a conflict in the "middle east" ever since I can remember, and whilst the names of the nations involved changed, the world keeps spinning.

Perry's story is tragic.  From all reports he struggled with substance abuse, and depression a lot of the time he was filming friends.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1686
I'm actually a 'Friends' fan.
I've watched it from the beginning to the final episode.

I'm aware of Perry's stuggles, but I've also thought since I watched him on that reunion show and read a bit more about his struggles that this was probably an inevitable ending.

I also understand the 'war weariness' aspect where folks would rather not hear about what's happening in Ukraine and the Middle East.

We're mostly not directly affected.
The media understand that, so they go with the more relevant to the viewer/reader.
We'll be more concerned with Bushfires for the next day or two.

It's understandable, but just a little strange.

Reply #1687
I'm actually a 'Friends' fan.
I've watched it from the beginning to the final episode.

I'm aware of Perry's stuggles, but I've also thought since I watched him on that reunion show and read a bit more about his struggles that this was probably an inevitable ending.

I also understand the 'war weariness' aspect where folks would rather not hear about what's happening in Ukraine and the Middle East.

We're mostly not directly affected.
The media understand that, so they go with the more relevant to the viewer/reader.
We'll be more concerned with Bushfires for the next day or two.

It's understandable, but just a little strange.

Its stupid what people find 'newsworthy'.

Quick digression....
Taylor Swift is (apparantly) one of the biggest singers in the world with a huge following. She is currently dating one of the NFL, Kansas City Chiefs, players - Travis Kelce. They won the superbowl last year and did 3 years ago as well. They are the best team in the league.

During a recent broadcast, they provided a stat on how many yards said player would get into "When Taylor Swift was at the game" and "When she wasn't".
That was deemed newsworthy.....her attendence and the 'effect' it had on his performance. Not only was it highlighted during the game. That stat has gone viral. You'd have a hard time working out if they won or lost the game, but 'Taylor Swift stats....'  ::)

News, and newsworthyness, as we know it is far different to what it was in decades past.

Reply #1688
I was flicking channels last night and flicked passed that puss of a show where mums and dads go on to find a matching partner whilst their kids watch and control things. I saw a familiar face amongst the kids, JGM. His mum is one of the contestants but watching 5 mins of it I thought why would anyone put themselves on such a putrid show? I dont mind some of the reality TV shows but that one and things like Love Island, Married at First Sight are utter garbage. I just dont understand how they survive the light of day. As a society, are we that dumb that we feed off crap like that? Its any wonder many of us have alternative TV options such as Foxtel, Netflix, Stand etc.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #1689
People still watch TV?

I haven't even got an antenna point at my place.

Everything is streamed. You van stream your regular channels of there is something younmustvwatch on there, but a year or so and ove only found the need maybe twice.

Vote with your eye balls

Reply #1690
I was flicking channels last night and flicked passed that puss of a show where mums and dads go on to find a matching partner whilst their kids watch and control things. I saw a familiar face amongst the kids, JGM. His mum is one of the contestants but watching 5 mins of it I thought why would anyone put themselves on such a putrid show? I dont mind some of the reality TV shows but that one and things like Love Island, Married at First Sight are utter garbage. I just dont understand how they survive the light of day. As a society, are we that dumb that we feed off crap like that? Its any wonder many of us have alternative TV options such as Foxtel, Netflix, Stand etc.

A lot of the people who appear on those shows would describe their careers as 'influencers'.
They operate these social media channels, and by appearing on the shows they seek to increase their number of followers.
They have views on everything, usually with limited knowledge of the topic.
They're true empty vessels...but apparently some of these platforms provide some financial  incentive to have as many subscribers as possible.

Obviously there is some benefit for the stations in these shows, probably tied to mandated Australian content...and of course the advertising that follows the more popular of these shows.
I suspect they cost a little less to produce than a drama series, not requiring things like writers.

But it's still a bit bizarre they have an audience.
I can perhaps see some appeal in a building or cooking show....but "I Married a Bachelor at First Sight on Love Island with Big Brother as  Best Man" is probably a bit of a mystery.

Reply #1691
Agree...absolute rubbish non reality TV and I couldnt watch " Friends" either, just more American crapola  along with Seinfeld.... 

Reply #1692
Agree...absolute rubbish non reality TV and I couldnt watch " Friends" either, just more American crapola  along with Seinfeld.... 
Didnt mind Seinfeld, I found the concept of a show about nothing and the the characters pretty funny. Thats different sort of TV though, you can at least see how some people could find it funny. The mindless, trash you mentioned prior is a sad reflection of society, the contestants have no self respect what so ever. They never would but if one of my daughters slutted around on a TV show like that Love Island, I'd doubt we could ever be in the same room again.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #1693
Mushroom Lady has been charged with 3 counts of murder and 5 counts of attempted murder.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #1694
For some reason I felt compelled to catch up on the Higgins Lehrmann case today, partly I suppose because media outlets have made Wilkinson front page as is their want.

But that trial has not caught my attention as much as some of the statements from Wilkinson and other media types, it's alarming to say the least.

In the old days, media knew exactly what it was, and the investigative power it held, it took that power very very seriously.

What is shocking is that some of the current behaviour documented in this case seems to assert that the media still knows about the impact it can have, but no longer blinks at misuse of that power. In effect the media have moved away from being serious investigator to become wilfully trivial judge and executioner, it's a disturbing trend and one everybody should be worried about!
The Force Awakens!