Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 11: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 15925 times) previous topic - next topic

Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 11: Carlton vs West Coast

Well, here we go ...
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 11: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #1
Haven't got much to say about the game today.

But i said this in the pre-game....
I think people have forgotten how good a fit fisher can be. Its understandable as he's been injured/coming back from injury for years.

His best is very good.....we just haven't seen it for a LONG time.

Proved plenty of people wrong today.

Unfortunately we lost Martin early and basically had our 2nds forwardline in (missing Curnow, McKay, McGovern, Silvagni, Cuningham).

On to next week.

Reply #2
Good contested effort by most players, WC have a much stronger team physically and we looked spent in the 3rd quarter..
DeKoning and Cottrell did some nice things and deserve to play next week, who ever played on Sheed doesnt deserve a game, no one picked him up and he hurt us badly.
Jones was good at FB on Kennedy and it was probably the big body of Darling that gave us the most problems down forward , thought Cripps was injured and he pulled up short in that marking contest which wasnt a good look but everyone has a moment like that. Our own Kennedy and Setterfield were handy, the former took some very good marks under real pressure.....Nicnat won the ruck duels but didnt do much else IMO. Kelly got a lot of ball and hurt us late as did Shuey but to half time we had them contained.
SPS had a shocker....the 1st holding the ball was rubbish but he got caught again in front of goal and froze for a second or two and the way the umpires are now you dont get long sometimes. Then he had another bad moment in the last quarter where he needed to attack the ball better, not sure we can keep playing him down back especially vs bigger bodied teams like the WC.
Losing Charlie, Harry and then McGovern didnt give us much forward structure and allowed WC to double up on Levi or make him lead wide and we didnt have any alternative avenues to goal other than crumbing work of Fisher who was excellent taking his opportunities for 4 goals..
Eddie did some nice things early then faded and losing Martin robbed us of some smarts and forward pressure, Duggan seemed to get a lot of uncontested ball along with Hurn and we needed Martin to keep them honest.
Umpiring was carp and the holding the ball rule remains a lottery....

Reply #3
Can't win in those circumstances.

We panicked a bit after 1/2-time, then we struggled against bigger heavier bodies.

Cripps is his own worst enemy, needs some serious handball practice, gave it directly to opponents 4 or 5 times then he doesn't have the pace to get back into the chain of play. If he's going to be dishing it off he needs to make sure he hits team-mates not opposition.

But on top of that, Wet Toast defenders (and mids) pick up the footy, try to break two or three tackles then fail to correctly dispose for a play on, Carlton defender inside D50 picks it up clean, blind tackled instantly from behind, holding the ball.

Nic Nat basically throws it away at ground level, sooked it up against De Konig because he couldn't get his way against a baby.

Kelly stone cold dropped it twice when tackled, inside the Wet Toast F50 and directly in front of the umpire, play on goal Wet Toast!

Great taster from The King, needs another 5 ~ 10kg and he'll be good to go long term. Cottrell not bad either, cooler than some of our older heads. Both will be better for the run.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4

On to next week.

Very low key post there Kruddler.  I have a feeling what is to follow will be a tad more emotional and vitriolic.

And the content will be, in order:

1. Umpiring.
2. Lead surrendered.
3. Lack of physicality.
4-10. Various mistakes by players.

I, for one, am too irrational to post right now.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #5
Fair effort against a premiership side and their #22 glow worm groupie. His calls were appalling at crucial moments. Said that once they were gifted several shots at goal, the swing would follow. It did.

I thought we'd lose by 5-6. In all, some great signs from: 🐟👑, Willo, Kennedy, Setters, Walsh, Samo, Weiters, Plowman, and Blueboy Cottrell 👏

The usual contributions from Captains, Simo, Levi, Ed kept us in it for 3q. Not quite enough in the end though. We're lacking that strength in the middle. Still. How fortunate that an AA quality mid finds his way into a Premiership side. Their midfield with Nic are top shelf. We're nowhere near that yet, but didn't let them run all over us. Injuries and depleted bench didn't help our cause.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #6
Fair effort against a premiership side and their #22 glow worm groupie. His calls were appalling at crucial moments.
Who the feck is that umpire, and how the feck does he get away with that rubbish?

That rubbish would not even cut it at VFL Reserves level!

Listening to our guys, Plowman in particular, sounds like we were worded up not to argue, probably makes them worse!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Very low key post there Kruddler.  I have a feeling what is to follow will be a tad more emotional and vitriolic.

1. Umpiring.
2. Lead surrendered.
3. Lack of physicality.

Forget umpiring, not interested. I thought we were more than physical enough against a team of monsters. Mistakes, usual suspects but put that aside also, WC made mistakes too so thats swings and roundabouts. Another 5 goal unanswered streak? Thats unacceptable and it comes down to on field leadership and match day coaching.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #8

1. Umpiring.
2. Lead surrendered.
3. Lack of physicality.

And thats one reason why i haven't got much to say about it.

Its clear as day what the issues are, and its not necessarily us.

I'm tired of it.

FFS, Plowman agreeing with the umpire for that initial SPS decision was laughable. I'm not even sure the umpire who paid it agreed with it that much. But, give him a pat on the back, fix your hair, and wait for the next one.  ::)

Reply #9

But i said this in the pre-game....
Proved plenty of people wrong today.

Unfortunately we lost Martin early and basically had our 2nds forwardline in (missing Curnow, McKay, McGovern, Silvagni, Cuningham).

On to next week.
And if he does SFA next week? No one doubts his talent, its lack of consistency and being injury prone that is an issue with too many of our blokes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #10
Plowman should be dropped for agreeing with that umpire. We had two up the other end where they picked the ball up and tried to fend off.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #11
Great in patches but few and far between.  Some nice cameos though.

And yes, Seton MUST be taken out of defence, Cripps MUST give off more and Teague MUST effect more changes

This one will put me on the outer, but dump the orange socks.  Once was enough.  We are navy blue.  Wear a bloody armband if you must but don't change the damn uniform.

Reply #12
Some positives today:
Fish - keep going son
TDK - Will be special, keep playing him
Matched it with a top team again
Disappointed we didnt win a game that we played very well in for a large portion of but hey, I expect WC and PA to play in the GF so if anything, we had a good close look at what it takes to be a contender.  Just to fix the 9-3 I50 mark differential.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #13
re: Murphy....I'd be more concerned about SPS...

Reply #14
Cripps is still not right, I suppose that will be his story for 2020.
The Force Awakens!