Skip to main content
Topic: Vale Eddie Van Halen  (Read 1846 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Vale Eddie Van Halen

Reply #1
One of my favourite guitarists. Vale and RIP.

Reply #2
Gutted, my hero as a kid.   Gonna go plug my 67 LP  into the tweed,  put new batteries in the Phase 90 and crank it to 12.  I can't play his stuff but the attitude is ......rock.!
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #3
Very few musicians actually change rock music forever - Eddie did... The sounds and guitar tones he created, rebooted rock music from Van Halen's first single "You Really Got Me" - has there ever been a better cover version of a song?  Kiss' Gene Simmons discovered Van Halen and produced their demo to score their first record contract.  Eddie went on to play the solo on Michael Jackson's "Beat It" (in two takes) and was uncredited on Nicolette Larsen's debut album (much to David Lee Roth's annoyance).  Eddie had been suffering from throat cancer for ten years.
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #4
I think he did all the thriller album while VH was in hiatus between Panama and 5150?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #5
No, he just did the solo in Beat it and was unpaid for it.  The rest of Thriller was basically Toto on backing tracks.  It's all in my books www.fortherecordbook.com.au
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004

Reply #6

Im a big Gary Moore fan and considered him the best guitarist I have seen but EddieV was
probably the most influential with his different inventive techniques.
RIP..

Reply #8
Toto was used on so many top level recordings.  It's the biggest kept secret of the music industry...!!

Reply #10
Sad news. RIP.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #11
Oh damn! Just gone way to soon.

Reply #12
Sad news indeed,  RIP.

Also just heard that Johnny Nash also has died, aged 80. Was one of my old favorites.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #13
Liked this quote -  "He's known as a virtuoso, but guitar virtuosos rarely make records that are so much damn fun. The first six Van Halen LPs are about as joyous as hard rock gets."