Skip to main content
Topic: The Music Thread (Read 2958 times) previous topic - next topic

The Music Thread

Might be time to resurrect our 'music' thread....if it's on this version of the site. ;)

I couldn’t find a music thread so here’s a new one  :)

Love to join in that as I have thousands of 33s / 45s, many mint and rare.  CDs also top the 1000 mark

Go for it!

I might start with a plug for Gil Matthews’ Aztec Records:

https://www.aztecrecords.com.au/

Check it out for original, rare and re-issues of the best Aussie Rock and Jazz music (and some foreign stuff) that you regret not buying at the time.  I recently bought CDs by Kush, Carson and Wendy Saddington  8)

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: The Music Thread

Reply #1
Aztec records,  a very important label as far as Aus releases (and re releases). They put out some great material, well worth a look for those of us that still buy records/CDs

Reply #2
Raven Records as well ... tremendous stuff as well.  Unique CDs but now sadly out of business :(

Reply #3
I partook in one of those top ten albums that influenced your life things on facebook (must have been a weak moment):
Ain't Misbehavin' - Fats Waller
Sgt Peppers - Beatles (had to choose one!)
Mozart Horn Concertos - from my horn playing days - one day get back into it
Hallowed Ground - Violent Femmes
The Queen is Dead - The Smiths
Swordfishtrombones - Tom Waits (plenty to choose from)
Goin Back to New Orleans - Dr John
Unltimate Blues Collection - put out by Castle Records?
Wrecking Ball - Emmylou Harris
Blues Brothers - Soundtrack

I added a few more - Nick Cave, Radiohead, John COltrane, The Pogues, Pulp FIction soundtrack, Buddha Bar, Air, St Germain.

Reply #4
Raven Records as well ... tremendous stuff as well.  Unique CDs but now sadly out of business :(

Yes, I agree Mike. Good get. They did a great release of the entire Saints studio recordings called Wild About You, in 2000 I think. Great care and effort in the research and packaging.

Reply #5
I partook in one of those top ten albums that influenced your life things on facebook (must have been a weak moment):
Ain't Misbehavin' - Fats Waller
Sgt Peppers - Beatles (had to choose one!)
Mozart Horn Concertos - from my horn playing days - one day get back into it
Hallowed Ground - Violent Femmes
The Queen is Dead - The Smiths
Swordfishtrombones - Tom Waits (plenty to choose from)
Goin Back to New Orleans - Dr John
Unltimate Blues Collection - put out by Castle Records?
Wrecking Ball - Emmylou Harris
Blues Brothers - Soundtrack

I added a few more - Nick Cave, Radiohead, John COltrane, The Pogues, Pulp FIction soundtrack, Buddha Bar, Air, St Germain.

Good to see very broad and diverse musical tastes.

Reply #6
Another plug, this time for my mate Craig Horne.

Craig is a blues singer with his band ‘the Hornets’, sometimes “Hornets Trio’.  Previous bands include ‘Attila and the Panel Beaters’ and ‘Cracker Horne and the Fats’.

Anyway, apart from his musical talents, Craig is an author and his books include ‘Daddy Who? The Rise and Demise of Australia's Greatest Rock Band’ and ‘Roots: How Melbourne became the live music capital of the world’.  I can recommend both if you have an interest in Australian music and the Melbourne music scene.

Craig’s latest work ‘I'll Be Gone: Mike Rudd, Spectrum and How One Song Captured a Generation’ will be launched on 16 November via Zoom.

‘I’ll Be Gone’ holds a special place in the music of my life.  In 1970-71, I lived in a share house in North Melbourne.  The bloke in the next room, Grubby Al, had the single on repeat on his record player and ‘I’ll Be Gone’ was a constant companion during my waking hours in that house, and I still play it regularly.  I often give Mike Rudd a rest and play a version by the Mud Crab Trio (Lucky Oceans and Alan and Stephen Pigram).  The Kimberley accent gives it a different feel.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
Hope you don't mind me adding to this thread...
I have written a couple of books on music & Australian pop culture.  If you like this stuff, they are worth checking out.
"For The Record Vol 1: Australian Pop Culture 1964-2017" was written using the notes I used to build Australia's biggest syndicated radio show "My Generation" hosted by Jono Coleman.  Everything from music, movies, TV shows to who sang at the Grand Final each year is here...!!
"For The Record Vol 2: Classic Hits & Urban Myths" is music trivia based on the uncredited superstars who appear on other star's hits.  Over 700 artists and nearly 3000 stories.
www.fortherecordbook.com.au
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #8
Another plug, this time for my mate Craig Horne.

Craig is a blues singer with his band ‘the Hornets’, sometimes “Hornets Trio’.  Previous bands include ‘Attila and the Panel Beaters’ and ‘Cracker Horne and the Fats’.

Anyway, apart from his musical talents, Craig is an author and his books include ‘Daddy Who? The Rise and Demise of Australia's Greatest Rock Band’ and ‘Roots: How Melbourne became the live music capital of the world’.  I can recommend both if you have an interest in Australian music and the Melbourne music scene.

Craig’s latest work ‘I'll Be Gone: Mike Rudd, Spectrum and How One Song Captured a Generation’ will be launched on 16 November via Zoom.

‘I’ll Be Gone’ holds a special place in the music of my life.  In 1970-71, I lived in a share house in North Melbourne.  The bloke in the next room, Grubby Al, had the single on repeat on his record player and ‘I’ll Be Gone’ was a constant companion during my waking hours in that house, and I still play it regularly.  I often give Mike Rudd a rest and play a version by the Mud Crab Trio (Lucky Oceans and Alan and Stephen Pigram).  The Kimberley accent gives it a different feel.

What a classic.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #9
Hope you don't mind me adding to this thread...
I have written a couple of books on music & Australian pop culture.  If you like this stuff, they are worth checking out.
"For The Record Vol 1: Australian Pop Culture 1964-2017" was written using the notes I used to build Australia's biggest syndicated radio show "My Generation" hosted by Jono Coleman.  Everything from music, movies, TV shows to who sang at the Grand Final each year is here...!!
"For The Record Vol 2: Classic Hits & Urban Myths" is music trivia based on the uncredited superstars who appear on other star's hits.  Over 700 artists and nearly 3000 stories.
www.fortherecordbook.com.au

I have 'For The Record Vol 1: Australian Pop Culture 1964-2017' Willie and it has provided hours of entertainment and not a few surprises  :)

Reply #10
Great to hear DJC!  Really pleased that you are enjoying it!
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #11
ABC iview has an OZ music month

Really good shows on the Easybeats_-"Friday on my mind" (now seems to have disappeared) and "Blood and Thunder-The Sound of Alberts"

Highlights the importance of Alberts and the influence of the Easybeats -(Stevie Wright and the work of Harry Vanda and George Young) ....and the extension into George Young's brothers Malcolm and Angus....and AC/DC

Reply #12
The world needed this girl in the COVID era, and plenty more like her!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1TQRJWLZ3s
'He' is the Carlton Footy club, going back to it's old ways, it's old safe bet!

She is every heartbroken, burnt and broken fan!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Bump

Topics in the General Discussion thread often get swamped by other subjects and the discussion is lost.
Over the last month or two we've lost some iconic music figures.
Elton John has had his send-off concerts.
Time to resurect the 'Music' thread.
The place to talk about your favourite artists, albums or videos.

Reply #14
Yep, I should have posted about the Remastering of Floyd's Pulse concert here, the highlights are pretty much every song.
The Force Awakens!