Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 86714 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #675
Excessively sporting declaration Pat,  we'd be the only country dumb enough to do this.     Again Australia makes the running only for others to cash in.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #676
Excessively sporting declaration Pat,  we'd be the only country dumb enough to do this.     Again Australia makes the running only for others to cash in.

Agree 100% ... far too early

Reply #677
They better hope the reverse starts fairly early.  278 on a still good track is more than gettable.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #678
Smith has probably dropped the test again, that is two in a row, they need to get him out of slips. He'll take the ones you do not expect to be taken, and drop the ones you expect nobody to miss!

I'd be slipping Green for the spinners.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #679
Ali was given not out by the umpire after sweeping the ball only to see it hit his pad and loop to Steve Smith. Australia called for a DRS review believing he hit it onto the pad and "snicko" had a very small heartbeat as the ball passed the bat. The weird thing was that, to my eye, there was a deflection evident in both the down-the-wicket replay and the side-on replay. None of the commentators seemed to see it, so maybe I'm seeing things. Anyway, the decision was reversed and Ali was given out, much to his annoyance.

Reply #680
What a good win, and how appropriate that Cummins spreadeagled the stumps for the last wicket!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #681
....and the whole nation breathes a sigh of relief.   Lyon picks up a bag on the final day. 

Reply #682
Agree 100% ... far too early
I know nothing about cricket, I heard a commentator on SEN today say that Cummins picked that time to give them enough to chase and be daring with the bat but also expecting the pitch to rough up and suit Lyon. Lyon took 5, masterstroke.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #683
Pat Cummins may end up being the best Australian captain ever.  Like Ash Barty, ultra-competitive (with a smile), and a true diplomat off the ground.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #684
I realise it's only an ODI, but Zampa is a class above our country's other leg break spin options.

How this bloke fails to get a Test gig is beyond me, he has the required accuracy and control, can lock down an end and takes wickets when the situation suits. He is basically the leg break version of Lyon and I could easily see those two bowl in tandem for extended periods and frustrate opponents, or lock down an end while Cummins, Starc or others go to work at the other end.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #685
Control is the key LP.   If you can't put the ball where you want it then you can't have plans.   Process goes out the window.

Reply #686
I realise it's only an ODI, but Zampa is a class above our country's other leg break spin options.

How this bloke fails to get a Test gig is beyond me, he has the required accuracy and control, can lock down an end and takes wickets when the situation suits. He is basically the leg break version of Lyon and I could easily see those two bowl in tandem for extended periods and frustrate opponents, or lock down an end while Cummins, Starc or others go to work at the other end.

He's great in the short forms, because of his accuracy, but he doesn't have the penetration for Test cricket.  His first-class bowling average (Sheffield Shield) is 48.  He gets wickets in T20 and ODI because they go after him, but he couldn't clean up an International team on a 5th day wicket.

And besides, he would be making too much money as a gun T20 player who is sought all over the world.

Reply #687
Big difference between test and short format bowling, especially spinners.   In shorter format they tend to go after you a bit more,  so batters attack balls they wouldn't normally,  so they hit a few up and create chances.   Longer format they can wait and sweat on bad balls with low scoring risk.   The batsmen don't need to force the issue.  So you need to bowl very tidily for extended periods to build pressure plus the odd jaffa to create chances against defensive-first minded players.

Reply #688
Andrew Symonds - RIP  :'(   Fine player

Reply #689
Andrew Symonds - RIP  :'(   Fine player
Talented striker of the ball and interesting commentator who didn't mind saying what he really thought.
Probably underachieved given his talent and a sad way for his life to end.