Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 87695 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #1215
Interesting to see the Netherlands defeat South Africa! The Saffies were flying, and now they've been grounded.
The Saffies have been highly variable at best in recent seasons, it's why nobody rates them.

Based on recent form some might claim the game against us was the outlier not losing to Netherland.

Quotas bring a whole new level of mediocrity, stick that in your Voice and smoke it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1216
The Saffies have been highly variable at best in recent seasons, it's why nobody rates them.

Based on recent form some might claim the game against us was the outlier not losing to Netherland.

Quotas bring a whole new level of mediocrity, stick that in your Voice and smoke it!
They have a talented team, the coaching hasnt been great, as you say the selection policy is flawed due to quota's and they dont have the money to run a decent domestic comp unlike back in the old days when they had the Currie Cup and Rhodesia was part of that comp giving the Saffies access to more talent given Rhodesia is now Zimbabwe.
I'd hate to include South Africa in the same league as Pakistan, India etc when it comes to betting issues but given Hanse Cronje was as bent as an S Pipe I would never place a bet on a Saffies team even if they were playing Mont Albert 3rds....

Reply #1217
England's Bazball Heroes have turned into a puddle of muck.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1218
Hasn't stopped the whinging fat ginga f.... From gobbing off.  Again. 

He might end up with 150 tests and whatever to his name, but over here he'll only be remembered as a dopey flog.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1219
Waiting to hear the outrage over last night's run out of Rashid...

Reply #1220
Waiting to hear the outrage over last night's run out of Rashid...
Actually, I thought that should be not out.

The reason being the keeper's first movement was to walking away from the stumps to throw the ball to the field, then he turns his head and sees the non-striker out of the crease before throwing the ball, in my day that would have been ruled a dead ball.

I doubt the rules have changed, the stumping or runout attempt is supposed to be your first action, you can't fake the batsmen into leaving the crease, and the keeper can't toss the ball to a slip or other fielder and have them then decide to runout the batsmen.

England are lost, they won't and can't complain in the Sub-Continent because nobody is listening!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1221
I agree LP.  I was surprised at the commentary.

I think they have updated the rules so that you can't deceive the batsman with where the ball is (eg pretend to mis-field, batsmen run and get run out because fielder had the ball).

There was definitely lag and disinterest in the play by the keeper.

Reply #1222
12 off the first over from the pie chucker, followed by utter rubbish from Hazelwood.  Time to give others a go.

Reply #1223
NZ worked out that taking the pace off the ball worked brilliantly on this deck but the three stooges from NSW are clueless.

Reply #1224
Not sure if it matters too much tonight.

Reply #1225
Just take the pie chucker off.
Check the betting slips....there's something stinky about this game.

Reply #1226
Interesting to see how things can change in cricket. Between 2015 and 2019 the Poms put a a lot of work into their white ball programs and reaped the rewards with the 2019 1-day title and the most recent 20-20 title. However, since then, they have supposedly concentrated on red ball cricket. They are now stone cold motherless last and would be no certainty to beat Bangladesh.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1227
Interesting to see how things can change in cricket. Between 2015 and 2019 the Poms put a a lot of work into their white ball programs and reaped the rewards with the 2019 1-day title and the most recent 20-20 title. However, since then, they have supposedly concentrated on red ball cricket. They are now stone cold motherless last and would be no certainty to beat Bangladesh.
Money has helped their decline, Stokes won't sign a long term test cricket deal because he wants the extra dough white ball cricket offers in particular the IPL and the Hundred. A lot of them are getting older and this will be a pattern that will hold England back, bazball produces short format players not test cricketers..

Reply #1228
Money has helped their decline, Stokes won't sign a long term test cricket deal because he wants the extra dough white ball cricket offers in particular the IPL and the Hundred. A lot of them are getting older and this will be a pattern that will hold England back, bazball produces short format players not test cricketers..

Indeed. Not a lot of new blood there. Mind you, we also appear very light on for good young players.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1229
Bangladesh - what a way to kill cricket - you dheads.