Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 87544 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #1275
Fair point , I don't want any political messages, banners, speeches, knees etc at cricket games and I don't want that stuff in my country outside Parliament house or clogging my main streets or have to read or see it on players boots, bats, hats whatever.
Cricket has always transcended politics, skin colour, religious differences etc and that's how it needs to remain.

Remind me why south africa was banned for so long?

Reply #1276
How did that workout how's South African cricket going? It's new sponsors/owners are the same who own the IPL...politics destroyed the game over there. The local  white business owners won't invest in the game ....see Graeme Smiths views on the game.

Reply #1277

"Cricket diplomacy" is the use of cricket to strengthen or weaken the relationships between cricket playing nations and has been used constantly since international cricket matches began.

There are myriad examples apart from South Africa's apartheid ban; the omission of Basil D’Oliveira from a South African tour after the SA PM threatened to ban the England team, the inclusion of Afghanistan, the boycott of Afghanistan by Australian cricketers earlier this year, the cancellation of Zimbabwe's 2009 tour of England, India-Pakistan matches, Narendra Modi hosting Albo at the former's stadium, the Indian team wearing army caps, "taking the knee", Moeen Ali wearing a "save Gaza" wristband in 2014, Henry Olonga and Andy Flower's protest against Mugabe, South African players walking off in protest against apartheid, Pat Cummins calling for UN aid for Sri Lanka, and many more ...
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1278
How did that workout how's South African cricket going? It's new sponsors/owners are the same who own the IPL...politics destroyed the game over there. The local  white business owners won't invest in the game ....see Graeme Smiths views on the game.

Cricket has always transcended politics, skin colour, religious differences etc and that's how it needs to remain.
Simply, bollocks.

Don't care about the latest stuff that kicked off this discussion. But your statement is flat out wrong.
DJC providing some other examples, but i think the South African ban is about as obvious an exception in the history of world sports.

Reply #1279
Hey Candice, he can't even slog .... shush!
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1280
The commentary keep talking Starc up like he's bowling grenades, but Pak are 8/246 and Starc is o/62, then we hear over and over he's the top dollar in the IPL.

In the meantime we keep watching him bowl left and right wide of the stumps while the tail end belt him around the ground, so the team complain about the ball. No such problems for Cummins or Hazelwood.

We'll good luck to the IPL, let's give the next kid a chance while the likes of Starc and Warner build a pension fund at India's expense!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1281
Starc is bowling like crap - and has for some time.  I'd be playing Morris next test because Starc's not contributing enough.  Seriously, Paddy can't bowl him versus the tail, he's too expensive.

Reply #1282
Starc is great in his match winning moments, but in-between he is too costly, when things aren't in his favour he struggles.

I was pleasantly surprised in India, he seemed more focussed, but back here at home he is back to his old ways. We should be crushing this Pakistan team, instead Starc was keeping them in the game every time Cummins or Hazelwood tired. I said to some mates yesterday they would have been better off bowling Marsh or Head, and that really says something.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1283
This game could be over by tea.

All playing these has-beens has done is teach Pakistan that if they maintain the effort we'll collapse like a house of cards, now we see the true cost of those cheap runs that Starc gives up!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1284
This game could be over by tea.

All playing these has-beens has done is teach Pakistan that if they maintain the effort we'll collapse like a house of cards, now we see the true cost of those cheap runs that Starc gives up!
Don't count your chickens.

Sure, its a very poor start, but have you known an Australian side to roll over and give up? Pakis will be batting last, chasing our 2nd innings total + 50-odd, plenty to happen from here.

Reply #1285
And I'm over Ponting thrashing the Pakis, Aamir came on a leaked runs and Ponting flogged him for letting the pressure off, didn't Ponting watch Starc?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1286
Can't bag a sacred cow LP.  But apparently it's the best attack since whenever.

Reply #1287
Time to break up the NSW bowling quartet....Cummins and Lyon can't carry the other two forever. 

Reply #1288
Not a bad effort from Pat Cummins; a tenfa!

I sometimes think that his captaincy is lacklustre and/or unimaginative but that was a captain’s bowling performance.

The much-maligned Mitchell Starc did OK too.  I don’t really understand the criticism he cops.  Wasn’t he the Australian player of the recent Ashes series?

It was interesting to read that he was unhappy with his action in the Perth Test and had a net session after play to sort it out. 

If the Pakistanis held a couple of catches, it could have been a very different game …
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1289
Not a bad effort from Pat Cummins; a tenfa!

I sometimes think that his captaincy is lacklustre and/or unimaginative but that was a captain’s bowling performance.

The much-maligned Mitchell Starc did OK too.  I don’t really understand the criticism he cops.  Wasn’t he the Australian player of the recent Ashes series?

It was interesting to read that he was unhappy with his action in the Perth Test and had a net session after play to sort it out. 

If the Pakistanis held a couple of catches, it could have been a very different game …
From an absolute layman's point of view (which I am), it seems to me the Aussies manage to win games using a "whole of team" mentality. One or two bowlers or one batsmen don't dominate, others seem to pick up the slack when needed or hold up an end. It's weird to me but they just seem to find a way. Cummins may well be a very underrated captain and some of the blokes who don't seem to do much actually do plenty.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time