Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 87325 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #1305
South Africa with proper funding and management would be a force in world cricket but are in danger of being owned by India and becoming an irrelevant cricket colony.
The old cricket boys club is alive and well with its HQ in NSW, as people have always said its hard to get into the inner sanctum but once you get in its even harder to get pushed out.
I caught the tail end of an interview with Kim Hughes on SEN this arvo, the bloke was absolutely furious over the promotion of Smith to open as well as the non selection of highest domestic run makers like Bancroft.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1306
I caught the tail end of an interview with Kim Hughes on SEN this arvo, the bloke was absolutely furious over the promotion of Smith to open as well as the non selection of highest domestic run makers like Bancroft.
GTC...Its a bit of WA vs Cricket Australia at the moment, in the old days form and runs in Shield cricket got you selected but now its about who the inner sanctum want in the team as much as anything else and its clear that Bancroft isnt wanted even though he has been the leading run getter for the last two seasons.
Smith will probably make it look a good move vs the hapless Windies who are struggling vs some no name team in their tour game and Bailey will get the kudos but long term its not a good move and we should be introducing younger players for the future.

Reply #1307
Had a look through the West Indies line-up and recent Aus XI game. This is my take on their 1st Test line-up for Adelaide:

01.Kraigg Brathwaite
02.Joshua Da Silva
03.Tagenarine Chanderpaul
04.Alick Athanaze
05.Kirk McKenzie
06.Kavem Hodge
07.Justin Greaves
08.Kemar Roach
09.Alzarri Joseph
10.Gudakesh Motie
11.Shamar Joseph

They experimented with Da Silva opening and I like the look of them more with Chanderpaul at number 3 (given the choices).

Reply #1308
Not a lot of experience in the West Indies line-up, but unknowns can catch the unwary unprepared. There hasn't been a lot of talk from the players and those close to them, but thinking they're going to walk over teams is the way to suffering ignominy. I'd rather see us have our homework done and preparations complete to prepare for a battle.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1309
Had a look through the West Indies line-up and recent Aus XI game. This is my take on their 1st Test line-up for Adelaide:

01.Kraigg Brathwaite
02.Joshua Da Silva
03.Tagenarine Chanderpaul
04.Alick Athanaze
05.Kirk McKenzie
06.Kavem Hodge
07.Justin Greaves
08.Kemar Roach
09.Alzarri Joseph
10.Gudakesh Motie
11.Shamar Joseph

They experimented with Da Silva opening and I like the look of them more with Chanderpaul at number 3 (given the choices).
They will get flogged, get more opposition from the Netherlands....

Reply #1310
GTC...Its a bit of WA vs Cricket Australia at the moment, in the old days form and runs in Shield cricket got you selected but now its about who the inner sanctum want in the team as much as anything else and its clear that Bancroft isnt wanted even though he has been the leading run getter for the last two seasons.
Smith will probably make it look a good move vs the hapless Windies who are struggling vs some no name team in their tour game and Bailey will get the kudos but long term its not a good move and we should be introducing younger players for the future.

This WA against the rest stuff is pretty funny, when you see Bancroft was overlooked for Cam Green (WA)!!!   

I know they are upset that Renshaw is in the 13, but really he is a concussion sub, and prob seen as a better replacement for anyone in the top 6 - do you really get this upset over someone being picked as a drinks carrier over someone from your state

Reply #1311
This WA against the rest stuff is pretty funny, when you see Bancroft was overlooked for Cam Green (WA)!!!   

I know they are upset that Renshaw is in the 13, but really he is a concussion sub, and prob seen as a better replacement for anyone in the top 6 - do you really get this upset over someone being picked as a drinks carrier over someone from your state
I think the main issue remains that Bancroft is perceived by many as the scapegoat for the evils of Warner and Smith who have barely suffered an interruption to their careers! ;)

I had to laugh when some CA Insiders claimed Bancroft isn't good enough, despite topping the Sheffield Shield runs tables which as far as I know remains the top indicator for Test Cricket success. It's hypocritical of CA because when blokes get dropped from the Test squad, or can't get in, they usually tell them to go back to Shield and make heaps of runs.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1312

Green is a good mate of Nathan Lyon and might as well be a NSW player given he hardly every plays for WA. He lost his place to fellow WA allrounder in Mitch Marsh and should have been dropped out of the squad because his form isnt that great.
His only decent test innings was on the flattest track of all time in India where both teams made big scores, his record isnt as good as Shane Watson who averaged more with the bat and had a lower bowling average and also had a greater degree of difficulty having to open the innings on many occasions.
Renshaw is averaging 31 in Shield cricket this season...if we are talking batsman in form and who can roll their arm over you would be picking Beau Webster who is averaging 71 or Nathan McSweeney with 45.
The selection process is skewed to who the inner sanctum want in the team and has nothing to do with form or stats it seems...

Reply #1313
The selection process is skewed to who the inner sanctum want in the team and has nothing to do with form or stats it seems...
Years ago this was rammed home to me a Unders level, I had a couple of mates with sons in the U17 Australian Tour team, it's a big deal as it is basically the scouting ground for mens 1st Class. One of the lads was a talented batsmen and could have been anything but lost the desire, the other was a talented batsmen and a keeper who wanted to be a test player.

In Unders the keeper was being talked about as the next Gilly, but a better keeper than Mr Gilly. Anyway, after a very successful tour of the UK the kid returned home to basically be badgered and threatened by the NSW Cricket Mafia that he had to go and play for some spud NSW suburban team or his Australian career was over. He didn't go and they kept their word, he was a Victorian but never selected for representative cricket again and in the end gave away the dream to become a chippy. I'd normally question the validity of this story, except before it all played out I was shown the text messages that the kid was being sent by B-grade NSW cricket coaches.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1314
Green is a good mate of Nathan Lyon and might as well be a NSW player given he hardly every plays for WA. He lost his place to fellow WA allrounder in Mitch Marsh and should have been dropped out of the squad because his form isnt that great.
His only decent test innings was on the flattest track of all time in India where both teams made big scores, his record isnt as good as Shane Watson who averaged more with the bat and had a lower bowling average and also had a greater degree of difficulty having to open the innings on many occasions.
Renshaw is averaging 31 in Shield cricket this season...if we are talking batsman in form and who can roll their arm over you would be picking Beau Webster who is averaging 71 or Nathan McSweeney with 45.

Green's record in Shield cricket is pretty good, when he plays.  If you are looking for the next best batsman, from the Shield, based on records, then it is either Bancroft or Green

Reply #1315
Absolutely annoys me the narcissm in cricket and footy.

LP - from the book of faces - 1991 one day comp.  NSW 9 Aus players, WA- 8 Aus players and 1 who ended up playing for the English.

NSW made 193.  Rolled WA for 130.

NSW       WA
Taylor      Marsh
S Small    Moody
Waugh    Lavender
Waugh    Zoehrer
Bevan     Martyn
Bayliss    Andrews W
Mathews Wood
Emery     MacLeay
Lawson   Julian
Whitney McCague
Holdsworth Reid

Reply #1316
Green's record in Shield cricket is pretty good, when he plays.  If you are looking for the next best batsman, from the Shield, based on records, then it is either Bancroft or Green
Dont disagree that Green performs well in Shield cricket when he does play but I think you have to reward the player who plays well over the season and plays the majority of the games. I know Green is seen as a developing talent and gets leeway from the potential/development angle but Marsh has essentially taken his spot and Green needs to go back to Shield cricket imo and continue to earn his place in the squad and not be seen as an automatic selection.
Not sure that 3 million IPL contract has done much for his technique or test career either.

Reply #1317
It's hard to get a read on the Windies, at the moment they have a "surprise" aspect to the match in that our lot aren't exposed to them that much.

There was a lot of chest thumping from some Aussie support sectors after the Day 1 bowling performance, but now it's looking like that was a par effort given the situation we are in against at best an OK attack. Maybe I'm not given the Windies bowlers credit where credit is due.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1318
It's hard to get a read on the Windies, at the moment they have a "surprise" aspect to the match in that our lot aren't exposed to them that much.

There was a lot of chest thumping from some Aussie support sectors after the Day 1 bowling performance, but now it's looking like that was a par effort given the situation we are in against at best an OK attack. Maybe I'm not given the Windies bowlers credit where credit is due.
5 for 50 odd are the Windies and will be lucky to overtake the deficit.
Only surprise is why we are playing them and Pakistan together for this summer given the gap between them and the No 1 team in the world.

Reply #1319
Green hasn't done enough to get, or hold a place in the test side, but that's my opinion, which isn't worth #### on this site.  You don't develop players cat test level.

My old chestnut has to continued under the radar bowling ineffectively.  I'd be giving Morris a go very soon.

Selection "integrity" (as it is euphemistically called) has always been an issue in Australian cricket, at different levels.  Maybe the spotlight should be turned on them and whatever their "processes" are
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?