Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2021 Rd 15: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 7781 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2021 Rd 15: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #60
Winners win because they win, losers lose because they lose. We really need to learn how to win. Harry needs to kick those big goals. Three matches in a row he has let the team down in the last quarter with simple misses on goal. Using Jack as the second ruck is an interesting innovation and gives us more flexibility around the contest. He will need to learn the craft but using his leap against tall opponents is a good strategy. Cripps has always been handy in boundary line throw ins and him doing the forward half ruck duties also gives us flexibility.
Finally eight minutes of brilliance. There is nothing worse than doing something well because after that, everyone knows you can do it and there are no more excuses. I think the fear of winning and the consequence of losing crippled us a bit after half time. However it was good to see Dow use his pace, SPS use his foot skills and Kennedy use his strength in the contest. Just need to get Setterfield and O'Brien up and running.
Rendell spoke on the age demographic of our list and how we don't have enough experience. It is imperative for our team to succeed that our senior players perform well. This happened yesterday. Williams, Cripps, Jones, Docherty, Plowman, Martin, Betts, Newman. Curnow, Newnes and Saad all made contributions yesterday. This takes a lot of pressure off the younger players and allows them just to play football.
Once again we had twelve players unavailable. Not having McGovern, Marchbank, Fisher, Pittonet, Cuningham, Curnow, Gibbons, Setterfield and Casboult available to choose from shows we do have depth in our squad. We also have Cottrell, Honey, Ramsay, Philps, Carrol, Durdin and Parks developing, and I still have hope on O'Brien. That second quarter showed us what could be. Now we just have to get there.

Reply #61
Football 101
Topic 9: Umpires
Section a) Appropriate responses to dodgy decisions.

Do not make goggle eyes at the umpire. You might get him next week.
The correct response is "Good decision sir, I saw it the same way myself."  ;)  :D  :D

Reply #62
What do we need to do in order to get a fair run from the umps? The Cripps holding call, the Curnow decision, I don't even know what they called after he tackled a bloke and he threw it out, the Walsh 'sling' which was one single motion. I feel like the club  needs to say something it's beyond a joke.
The H free 10m out directly in front.....only it wasnt and they somehow ended up with a free??

Reply #63
Yep, he sure did. But cameos won't cut the mustard if we're to be a top side.
Agree, there is a reason StK delisted him. Unfortunately there is no one pushing up from the twos so he serves a purpose in the short term. Honey maybe depending on roles? Carroll and Durdin are off the pace still as is Kemp. In a couple of weeks we need to make room for Charlie so that will be interesting.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #64
I noticed when they were singing the song after the  game that Eddie didn't link arms with the players either side of  him. Plowman on one side made a couple of attempts to engage him but Eddie just gave him a tap and a nod.

Maybe he's protective of his personal space ;D ...or did he hurt himself (shoulder perhaps) in one of the contests (maybe the high flying landing). He was a bit sore after taking a mark at one stage and came off for a while but that looked more a hip or groin.

Just on Eddie
We're all expecting him to finish up at the end of the year.
Maybe he's not influential in every game.
But it looks like he still has a good spring, and his pace hasn't dropped off a great deal.
And you could probably argue that without Eddie, yesterday's second quarter burst doesn't happen.
I would give him another year at this rate although I dont think the club will.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #65
What do we need to do in order to get a fair run from the umps? The Cripps holding call, the Curnow decision, I don't even know what they called after he tackled a bloke and he threw it out, the Walsh 'sling' which was one single motion. I feel like the club  needs to say something it's beyond a joke.
Even the Plowman 50 (that he got, and we kicked a goal from), looked like an ump determined not to give us something.  Im going to hold him down for way too long after the free (nope, no 50),  Ok, then I'll trip him as he goes back on the mark (nope, no 50), Ok, then i'll give him a huge shove in the chest (oh, gee, i didnt want to do this, but, there - 50)

Reply #66
Fev would be handy in educating Harry.  His dependency on those stupid "side spin" kicks does him no good.

Reply #67
Not a word from the commentators either.

Come on, thats not fair - DWAAAAAyne definitely commented on a couple of the shockers "maybe a little in the back" every time we were mauled. and "oh grabbed without it" every time there was a slight free adelaide's way.....

Reply #68
I thought there were a few shockers, the umpires didn't have a good day, especially early it looked like they were penalising players just for thinking about an infringement. The Cripps 30m run was pretty bad.

But I thought the worst decision all weekend was in the VFL, one of our blokes got throat fended Dusty style and had a free kick paid against them for high contact! I believe something similar happened to Walsh, someone shoved him in the throat and was awarded a free kick because Walsh's arm hit / went over their shoulder as part of trying to fend away the choker hold.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
I thought there were a few shockers, the umpires didn't have a good day, especially early it looked like they were penalising players just for thinking about an infringement. The Cripps 30m run was pretty bad.

But I thought the worst decision all weekend was in the VFL, one of our blokes got throat fended Dusty style and had a free kick paid against them for high contact!

The same thing happened to Sam Walsh; a high fend-off resulted in a free to the offender.  Sam's attempted tackle may have slipped upwards but only because the Adelaide player's hand was forcing Sam's head backwards  >:(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #70
The same thing happened to Sam Walsh; a high fend-off resulted in a free to the offender.  Sam's attempted tackle may have slipped upwards but only because the Adelaide player's hand was forcing Sam's head backwards  >:(
 Sorry got me still editing! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
Seedsman and Sholl aren't exactly kids and the Adelaide midfield did OK when they beat St Kilda in their last game.

But, you're right, it was a gutsy win against another struggling, inconsistent team and we're a long way from having everything fixed.  I'll be a lot happier if we can get a win over the Dockers next week ... COVID permitting.
Sholl is only 21....but is a decent player and both he and Seedsman were among the Crows best, of course its a bit strange seeing the Crows with out a Crouch in the team and I actually forgot about Brad leaving and Matt being injured. The latter would have been a nuisance had he played..Pleasing for us was the consistent overall contribution from our mids, everyone did something including Newnes who I know some dont rate but I think he is a contributor most games he plays.

Reply #72
One of the worst "non-decisions" for me was when SPS had taken a mark about 45 out in that last quarter and the Adelaide player (no 38) comes in on his left side into the "exclusion" zone. You watch it. 4:58 left on the clock. He wasn't following an opponent. Why wasn't that a 50??

Reply #73
Come on, thats not fair - DWAAAAAyne definitely commented on a couple of the shockers "maybe a little in the back" every time we were mauled. and "oh grabbed without it" every time there was a slight free adelaide's way.....
:D Listed to the first half in the car on the way home and had to endure Kane Cornes' commentary, then got home and had the pleasure of Dwayne's company.....thank god the result went our way.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #74
Just watched the replay. A few observations:

SOS set the tone early with a strong tackle (not paid)
DeKonig held his own for the most part
Walsh is a superlative player
Saad is the speed & dare we need. He kick started our best q since 2012
We have 5 deadly indigenous players
Samo is a smart natural mid. Keep him there
Williams responded to his critics
Eddie's having fun and teaching at the same time
Dow's starting to understand his role and looks like he belongs. Keep him there
The Jones & Weiters Show is on repeat
Crippa's back
Stocker's development is a credit to him & his coaches
Loved the attitude and off the ball team first efforts
Set shots should be a priority
Given the umpiring misfortune and Murphy's early injury, our perseverance  was pleasing

The Win will help galvanize our group with a helping hand from Captain Cripps

Enjoy Bluebaggers

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.