Skip to main content
Topic: Tokyo 2021 (Read 4666 times) previous topic - next topic

Tokyo 2021

It’s probably time to kick off a thread, but the normal enthusiasm for the Olympics just isn’t there. My personal opinion is that they shouldn’t go ahead, but that’s balanced a bit by the realization that many athletes have worked extremely hard to be in their best possible shape for the upcoming games. To time it just right is a tricky task and they’ve already had the disappointment of last year’s postponement.
Normally at this time there are usually some great lead -up performances as teams are finalised. I’m a big track and field fan so that’s where my main interest will be. It may just be because we’ve had a bit of a starvation of competition over the last eighteen months but I’m actually a bit surprised that lead up performances are so good considering the lack of training opportunities and competition. We’ve seen a few world records.
It’s probably not good to be too sceptical, but when it comes to athletic records, some of us have become a bit cynical. I’m wondering whether testing regimes have been quite as tight during this period, or have a few folks taken the opportunity to add an extra ‘weetbix’ to their brekkie.

Re: Tokyo 2021

Reply #1
Cancel it ... if only just to annoy pampered palace chook have her jollies

Reply #2
Only interested in the Basketball at the Olympics but I have my doubts it will even go ahead or be a very cut down form.
The Japanese people dont want it if you go by the polls and I'd be calling it off..

Reply #3
It’s not really up to the Japanese or Tokyo. They’ve signed a contract with the IOC and the IOC has them by the short and curlies.

Reply #4
This is really a no win scenario, the question becomes how much pain are you prepared to wear whether you proceed or halt.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
It’s not really up to the Japanese or Tokyo. They’ve signed a contract with the IOC and the IOC has them by the short and curlies.

The IOC has no authority (and never will) that exceeds the national interest of any country awarded the games. 

Reply #7
It’s similar to the issues over Sovereign Risk, for instance when the Andrews Government was considering whether to legislate away the deal that the outgoing Bailieu Government made with private contractors to build the East-West link. Yes, the Victorian parliament could just have passed a law terminating that contract without compensation but this would have led to sovereign risk fears. Investors would fear that the government could walk away from other deals.

Sure, Japan can refuse to hold the Games, but it would be very wary of doing so without the IOC agreeing to discharge the contract. And unlike the Victorian Government it has no way to pass legislation to terminate the contract without compensation. As noted in the article in Paul’s link, the contract allows the IOC to make its claim in Switzerland and I doubt if Japan would thumb its nose at any judgment made against it.

Reply #9
?

They get to sue in their own backyard (as the IOC is based in Lausanne, Switzerland). Switzerland is very protective of its corporations. And the Japanese don't blow off legal obligations like Trump or China. They don't want to lose face. 

Reply #10
*if* the games go ahead, it'll be interesting to see how the athletes go without a massive crowd and the electric atmosphere and noise spectators bring.

I'd anticipate performances to be at or below previous record olympic record levels given the scheduling delays and lack of crowd support to egg the athletes on that little bit more...

Reply #11
And if (say) two major countries pulled out tomorrow citing safety concerns?  The IOC are legal nobodies with zero comeback.

Reply #12
The Japanese have stopped a Tokyo Olympics before, and I don't mean last years. ;)

Reply #13
Sweden really laying on the big bad bully Aussie angle against the girls, 2-2 at 55min
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
Sweden up 3-2, 63mins
The Force Awakens!