Skip to main content
Topic: The classic/fave car thread (Read 13703 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The classic/fave car thread

Reply #75
As much as I love V8's and cubic centimeters, I've got say I see it hard to compete with AWD / IWD vehicles of the future.

I suspect some of these IWDs could pin you to the seat even if they were departing on a teflon runway!

But for heart-breaking love, nothing beats a 2" single system bolted onto 5.0L of unbreakable cast iron. My family could detect me coming home from the vibrations in the floor long before they could hear anything. :D Back in the day I referred to my babies as mobile whale communications systems, and I didn't need some tosser sub-woofer! The unfortunate part of all that, you could watch the fuel gauge falling as fast as the scenery went by! :(
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
I've always been a Golf fan the R-Series are supreme cars, a lot of the performance end Euro cars stack up well, I even had a toss up between an R-Series Arteon and a 3.0 L 407 (Renault Engine) a few years back, both around 230kW(300bhp). Pity they are both about 2000kg.

But I've got to say, you need a lot of combustion engine to match the torque these new hybrids can deliver. I've driven a few hybrids recently and I'm shocked by the get up and go they have given the low fuel consumption, I can't see any option for the likes of Golf or Renault but to head down that hybrid road.
Some of the Tesla cars run 9 second qtr miles, they aren't hanging around.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #77
Thank you, GTC old son. We compiled a short-list a little while ago... and there was the R in the top 3!

And valuable comments, EB1, fortunately we have a terrific mechanic well versed in Euro cars with all the appropriate diagnostic equipment... he recommended the Golfs!
Baggers they also offer Car Care now, 5 years of services all included. I dont have that but  I have commented on other threads that I have found their services costs more than reasonable compared to others, their customer service is brilliant.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #78
I am eagerly awaiting announcements on pricing and release dates for the new 7th Gen Mustang Dark Horse. I didn't like the new shape when it first came out but it has since grown on me. The Dark House looks mega and with 500HP on tap and lots of other       goodies on board, it would be a fun car to drive.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #79
I am eagerly awaiting announcements on pricing and release dates for the new 7th Gen Mustang Dark Horse. I didn't like the new shape when it first came out but it has since grown on me. The Dark House looks mega and with 500HP on tap and lots of other       goodies on board, it would be a fun car to drive.

Assuming there are 8 cylinders growling away under the bonnet.

You can drive all manner of technologically enhanced 4s and 6s and but nothing can match that sensation of 8 angry cylinders demanding a heavy foot from its driver. It's a motor that just seems p1ssed off when idling... grumbling and gurgling and wobbling about at the lights! But when those 8 cylinders come into harmony under strong acceleration... ah, bliss!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #80
Assuming there are 8 cylinders growling away under the bonnet.

You can drive all manner of technologically enhanced 4s and 6s and but nothing can match that sensation of 8 angry cylinders demanding a heavy foot from its driver. It's a motor that just seems p1ssed off when idling... grumbling and gurgling and wobbling about at the lights! But when those 8 cylinders come into harmony under strong acceleration... ah, bliss!
Baggers there are some videos online of it (the US version), sounds amazing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #81
My 79 Series powering over a dune on the Madigan Line, northern Simpson Desert, May 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCDAV5PQwZs

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #82
My 79 Series powering over a dune on the Madigan Line, northern Simpson Desert, May 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCDAV5PQwZs

love it
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #83
Baggers there are some videos online of it (the US version), sounds amazing.

Just... wow! Now that's a growl...

Reply #84
A mate of mine has a 60's (forget which year) mustang that he tinkers with.  You know when he's coming or going, and looks amazing.

Reply #85
E Type Jaguar V12
Is there a sexier looking car?
Lucky enough to go for a cruise in the Adelaide Hills in one that was fully restored and ooooh the noise.  O:-)
The interior was superb and the cigarette lighter was labeled 'Cigar'. Just classic.
Dream Car.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #86
A mate of mine has a 60's (forget which year) mustang that he tinkers with.  You know when he's coming or going, and looks amazing.

The first item on the Tattslotto win list... '66 or '67 Mustang, second item... GTHO Phase III. Third item... payout mortgage. Priorities.

Reply #87
The first item on the Tattslotto win list... '66 or '67 Mustang, second item... GTHO Phase III. Third item... payout mortgage. Priorities.
I love the old GT350H (ex Hertz rentals) fastback. Rare as hens teeth, there is one for sale nudging $500K.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1966-ford-mustang-manual/SSE-AD-13440723/?Cr=0
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #88
My non favourite car firm Volkswagen are back to their old form of being one of the most despicable car companies on the planet.
If its not creating sneaky software trying to defeat emission testers  then its little java monkeys in a VW beetle, I'll let you google that story....cartoons and all.
Now we have the latest....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/volkswagen-slammed-for-refusing-to-hand-over-gps-data-to-track-down-stolen-car-%E2%80%93-with-baby-inside/ar-AA1839xg
A kids life isnt worth $150....?.....Corporate Policy?........WTF.......

I couldnt buy a car off VW , I know they have their fans including my own family members but they wont be getting my money ever..

Reply #89
My non favourite car firm Volkswagen are back to their old form of being one of the most despicable car companies on the planet.
If its not creating sneaky software trying to defeat emission testers  then its little java monkeys in a VW beetle, I'll let you google that story....cartoons and all.
Now we have the latest....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/volkswagen-slammed-for-refusing-to-hand-over-gps-data-to-track-down-stolen-car-%E2%80%93-with-baby-inside/ar-AA1839xg
A kids life isnt worth $150....?.....Corporate Policy?........WTF.......

I couldnt buy a car off VW , I know they have their fans including my own family members but they wont be getting my money ever..

I feel the same way about VW EB. Last one I owned was a Beetle 1500 back in the 70s. Was not sorry to see that go and the emmissions scandal was the final straw, ensuring I will never buy VW again. What do you think of the Lexus UX?
Reality always wins in the end.