Skip to main content
Topic: The Boomers and Opals at the 2020/21 Olympics (Read 5288 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Boomers and Opals at the 2020/21 Olympics

Reply #30
No I missed that GTC.. What was discussed?
It was brilliant and I couldn't help but draw parallels to Carlton. He spoke about:
- How they have built a Boomers culture from scratch. It involved setting the highest of standards ( the now)
- Connecting with previous Boomers and understanding what they went through (the past)
- With the culture in mind, looking the the future what that looks like.
- Understanding what representing your country as a Boomer truly means.
- This campaign is now the minimum standard expectation is high.
It was passionate, it was emotional, it was from the heart. I found it brilliant and the frauds running around in the Navy Blue jumper should watch it and learn.
The men who represented the Boomers played the game the way it should be played. I cant seem Ben Simmons fitting into that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
It was brilliant and I couldn't help but draw parallels to Carlton. He spoke about:
- How they have built a Boomers culture from scratch. It involved setting the highest of standards ( the now)
- Connecting with previous Boomers and understanding what they went through (the past)
- With the culture in mind, looking the the future what that looks like.
- Understanding what representing your country as a Boomer truly means.
- This campaign is now the minimum standard expectation is high.
It was passionate, it was emotional, it was from the heart. I found it brilliant and the frauds running around in the Navy Blue jumper should watch it and learn.
The men who represented the Boomers played the game the way it should be played. I cant seem Ben Simmons fitting into that.

Yes, Patty spoke very well - almost as well as he played! 

Brian Goorjian must take a lot of credit for the Boomers finally cracking it for a medal.. He is a great coach who understands the game and team culture/dynamics.  His teams always have a crack.

It was interesting to hear how the present team embraced past Boomers and were embraced by them in return.  I listened to Lindsay Gaze and Shane Heal on the wireless and they couldn't have been any prouder.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32

Brian Goorjian must take a lot of credit for the Boomers finally cracking it for a medal.. He is a great coach who understands the game and team culture/dynamics.  His teams always have a crack.

It was interesting to hear how the present team embraced past Boomers and were embraced by them in return.  I listened to Lindsay Gaze and Shane Heal on the wireless and they couldn't have been any prouder.
Brian Goorjian was on SEN this morning, WOW what a leader. Amazing to listen to, explained his role, how he delegates to all the assistants and only chimes in when he thinks its needed. Talked about giving the guys a bit of a serve after the US game to the effect of "this aint over, we still got work to do (bronze medal), pick your chin up off the ground and get on with it".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #33

Very decent person is Brian Goorjian, lot of loud energy about him but underneath all that he is a caring bloke and I was pleased
he played his part in such a milestone for Aus basketball.
I'm a Spurs fan but I'd like to see Patty get a ring with Brooklyn, been a real ambassador for the game and never put a foot wrong as a Spurs player and deserves the kudos he is getting.

Reply #34
BG on SEN this morning

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/09/the-story-behind-patty-mills-historic-bronze-medal-performance/

Well worth the 22 mins or so listening to him speak.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #35

Interestingly, the "Boomers Culture" has been around longer than Goorj.  It has always been pretty player-driven, with Andrew inheriting it from those previous to him, and then him passing it on to Hammer, Luc, Vlahof, and then in turn to Patty, Joe and Delly.   But then you have had the coaches that have helped nurture that culture (Lindsay, Adrian Hurley, Barry Barnes, Lemanis, Brett Brown and now Goorj).

Drawing parellels to the problems at Carlton - it does show that its not just the players and its not just the coaches - it is the 2 groups working together to set the culture.    We need to get BOTH right!!

Reply #36
Interestingly, the "Boomers Culture" has been around longer than Goorj.  It has always been pretty player-driven, with Andrew inheriting it from those previous to him, and then him passing it on to Hammer, Luc, Vlahof, and then in turn to Patty, Joe and Delly.   But then you have had the coaches that have helped nurture that culture (Lindsay, Adrian Hurley, Barry Barnes, Lemanis, Brett Brown and now Goorj).

Drawing parellels to the problems at Carlton - it does show that its not just the players and its not just the coaches - it is the 2 groups working together to set the culture.    We need to get BOTH right!!

Absolutely!

I think that all of the Boomers coaches have been good and Goorjian is probably lucky to have a very talented squad with more depth than we have had before.  I thought that losing Baynes would screw our chances but the coach and players made adjustments and got on with the job.  Hopefully, our club will learn to do the same.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #37
BG on SEN this morning

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/09/the-story-behind-patty-mills-historic-bronze-medal-performance/

Well worth the 22 mins or so listening to him speak.

Jeez that was a good listen!!!!  Love Goorj.  Love all the senior players.  Sounds like they have something really special!!

Reply #38
Jeez that was a good listen!!!!  Love Goorj.  Love all the senior players.  Sounds like they have something really special!!
Glad you enjoyed it, he's a ripper to listen to.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #39
Goorjian is 68 years old, yet in the AFL even 50 year old coaches are supposedly past it.

Reply #40
Goorjian is 68 years old, yet in the AFL even 50 year old coaches are supposedly past it.
I think that is a generalisation, age isn't really the issue, but being willing or unwilling to change in the shadow of altered game tactics and rules can be though!

Have the rules and tactics changed that much in basketball in recent decades? I realise the skills have change dramatically, 3-pts is mundane now, when I played it was a rarity and if you took more than one or two 3-pt shots a game and missed the coach would drag you! Now they will shoot 3-pts at 35%  in a qtr, and go at 70% the next qtr and be labelled a star!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
USA Olympic coach Greg Popovich is 72 and both coach and President of the San Antonio Spurs....

Reply #42
I think that is a generalisation, age isn't really the issue, but being willing or unwilling to change in the shadow of altered game tactics and rules can be though!

Have the rules and tactics changed that much in basketball in recent decades? I realise the skills have change dramatically, 3-pts is mundane now, when I played it was a rarity and if you took more than one or two 3-pt shots a game and missed the coach would drag you! Now they will shoot 3-pts at 35%  in a qtr, and go at 70% the next qtr and be labelled a star!
NBA is a TV game....its got to look good, have its heroes, big three pointers, dunks are all part of showtime. Individuals with immense one on one skills are whats required along with a few role players.
In Europe they play a different brand ,though even thats changing too, old fashioned defense, running of plays and its can get physical....not temper tantrums like you see in the NBA but hard close down defense.
In the NBA they let the stars travel, get the fouls called their way and it can be frustrating to watch, in Aus they used to teach the European way, emphasis on defense and running plays where the player in the best position took the shot.
But things have changed and you get NBA style shooting from the car park  ie Chris Goulding and we have a lot more imports from the USA who want to play as individuals.
I prefer the team based style but every kid wants to be Lebron or Durant now so its a game made for Shooters....

Reply #43
More Star treatment for Lebron......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic292UEORg8
Didnt like the hard block out on the foul shot from Pistons big man Stewart so clocked him with a backhander and left him with a decent gash that bloodied him up...Stewart went off his nut and tried to get to Lebron which was quite comical watching him mow down anything in his path as he made several attempts including a run around the players entrance tunnel network hoping to come out the other way.
Refs called it a flagrant 2 which got him an ejection but the media said it wasnt deliberate which was complete BS.....Stewart will get a holiday for sure but Lebron the superstar and perpetrator will be playing next Lakers game IMHO unless there is a huge outcry from the public that the NBA cant ignore but I doubt it...like the AFL the marquis players have their own set of rules to play by.