Skip to main content
Topic: Paralympics  (Read 1704 times) previous topic - next topic

Paralympics

Has anyone been watching?

These athletes are just so amazing, courageous, strong willed and minded!

Have been so impressed with their attitudes and frankly their athleticism! Just extraordinary.

Re: Paralympics

Reply #1
Has anyone been watching?

These athletes are just so amazing, courageous, strong willed and minded!

Have been so impressed with their attitudes and frankly their athleticism! Just extraordinary.
I did watch a few events and agree they are amazing how they deal with their disabilities and compete with such positive attitudes.

Reply #2
They are sensational and inspirational.
I've coached a couple of athletes with vision and motor issues.
Their dedication and love of the sport is on a par with any able-bodied athlete.

The one thing I wonder about is this...
Within any disability group there can be wide range of effect of that disability.
The class grouping overcomes that to a large extent but at either end of that class there can be a wide range of difference as to how restricted the athlete can be.
It's why, for example, you often see much bigger margins in track events at the paralympics  than you would see in the Olympics.

I guess you can make the same argument for able bodied athletes.
Factors other than disability come into play.
Can an athlete from a poor country have the same opportunities to develop their skills as someone from a richer country.
It's not really a level playing field there either.

In any case, the paralympics are well worth the watch for the stories and the performances. They are dedicated highly trained athletes.

Reply #3
^ that's true, for sure.

Cannot believe the Feds give the Olympians $20/$15/$10k for gold/silver/bronze but ZERO to the paralympians!

I watched one guy race, his nickname is White Tiger i think - he came 5th and was so down, said that his funding will now be cut too because he didnt make it to the podium.  For a rich country like ours, you'd think there'd be better support.

Harvey Norman & others has the audacity to sponsor the games and then hold onto Jobkeeper until they couldnt anymore due to whatever reason - even then they only gave less than a 3rd back.  And they don't see the hypocrisy when these athletes, who they put on the front of their catalogues, get f all funding.  Terrible.

But back to the athletes - boy they are amazing.  Their attitudes are just unreal, great sportsmanship. Brilliant games :)

Reply #4
Cannot believe the Feds give the Olympians $20/$15/$10k for gold/silver/bronze but ZERO to the paralympians!
True.

But for most Olympians funding ends at the finish line, those who qualify for the Para-Olympics are already long term beneficiaries of welfare, welfare that will continue when they come home!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Athletes are now able to generate income via their social media pages now....which was something that was not allowed only a couple months ago i believe.

If true, paralympians could do similar if they do it right.

FWIW, the 20k per gold here is an example of 'good' compared to the paralympians, however compared to other places in the world its a meagre payment. Some countries offering 1mil for a gold.

Reply #6
Their courage is incredible, their efforts amazing.  Proud of them.  Some able bodied wimps in society should feel ashamed