HB: Saad, Weitering, Williams
C: Hewett, Sam Walsh, Dow 
HF: J.Martin, C. Curnow, Fisher
F: Silvagni, McKay, E. Curnow
Foll: Pittonet Cripps Cerra
Int: De Koning, Young, McGovern, Newnes
Sub: Setterfield
Emerg: Plowman, Kemp, Honey, Owies
# Sam Docherty will return to the team when he is full healthy.

Crazy selections!  Who are your midfielders rotating off the bench? Setterfield ahead of Kemp? 

Re: Herald Sun 2022 Best 22

Reply #1

Herald Sun's Carlton best 22 in 22

B: Stocker Jones Newman
HB: Saad, Weitering, Williams
C: Hewett, Sam Walsh, Dow 
HF: J.Martin, C. Curnow, Fisher
F: Silvagni, McKay, E. Curnow
Foll: Pittonet Cripps Cerra
Int: De Koning, Young, McGovern, Newnes
Sub: Setterfield
Emerg: Plowman, Kemp, Honey, Owies
# Sam Docherty will return to the team when he is full healthy.

Crazy selections!  Who are your midfielders rotating off the bench? Setterfield ahead of Kemp?
Yes, a bit of a rubbish selection, it must be work experience week.

What AFL team has Pittonet, De Koning, Young, McGovern, Cripps, McKay, Charlie, Jones and Weitering all in the one line up! That would be the slowest most lopsided team ever sent on an AFL field is the games history, nine players in or around 200cm!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Kemp and Honey would be in my best 22...along with Durdin.
We have to progress and need our kids to step up and become regulars.
Can't play Pittonet and Young in the same team either unless Young is playing a KP role.
Jack and McGovern are also similar..Jack is my preference..

Reply #3
The backline is too short - no third tall defender (I’m assuming Young couldn’t play that role) so Plowman or Kemp would have to come in.

Ed Curnow has to start in the midfield in a run with role.  The only exception would be if we wanted to make a running defender accountable.

If that was a school assignment, the writer would be told to do it again and put some thought into it 🙄
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
I thought Young was to brought in as a 3rd tall down back.

I read somewhere else that Ed is going to be a pressure forward next year.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #5

From what I've seen, Young is a CHB/FB and not agile enough to match up with the players Plowman or Kemp usually get.  Could we play Weitering as the third tall?  He's good enough to stay with most forwards.

Haven't we tried Ed as a pressure forward before?

He's our best run with player and I think he should be used as such until Hewett takes over.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6

I would like to think Young may be able to do a lockdown job, allowing Weitering to become more of a Lever/Stewart/Haynes/Jonas quarterback role.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #7
From what I've seen, Young is a CHB/FB and not agile enough to match up with the players Plowman or Kemp usually get.  Could we play Weitering as the third tall?  He's good enough to stay with most forwards.

Haven't we tried Ed as a pressure forward before?

He's our best run with player and I think he should be used as such until Hewett takes over.
Our club is genuinely back to front, most club's let the old blokes play a role and let them do lockdowns roles in D50, like FB or the BP!

We get our oldest blokes and let them get smashed and run-off their feet inside our F50!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
I'd go with...

B   Nic Newman   Jacob Weitering   Zac Williams
HB   Mitch McGovern   Liam Jones   Adam Saad

M   George Hewett   Patrick Cripps   Zac Fisher

HF   Josh Honey   Charlie Curnow   Jack Martin
F   Tom De Koning   Harry McKay   Jack Silvagni

R   Marc Pittonet   Adam Cerra   Sam Walsh

I   Liam Stocker   Matthew Kennedy   Ed Curnow
   Paddy Dow   

Reply #9
I'd go with...

B Nic Newman Jacob Weitering Zac Williams
HB Mitch McGovern Liam Jones Adam Saad

M George Hewett Patrick Cripps Zac Fisher

HF Josh Honey Charlie Curnow Jack Martin
F Tom De Koning Harry McKay Jack Silvagni

R Marc Pittonet Adam Cerra Sam Walsh

I Liam Stocker Matthew Kennedy Ed Curnow
 Paddy Dow
I think that is still a bit too top heavy, a 1980s style line up, especially that FF line, you need a genuine small on that line, Owies, Fisher, Philp or Durdin type.

Also the interchange isn't functional, no chance Stocker isn't a starter after last season, more like Williams would be off the bench than Stocker. You probably start McGovern or De Koning on the bench as well, it's not a bad line up.

Perhaps you don't have Pittonet, Walsh, Cripps and Cerra all in the midfield as once, that is a bit of a slow mix. You probably need to swapped one out for a Dow, Williams or Saad, or flip the rucks around and have De Koning with the slow mix and Pittonet with the runners.

Cunningham seems to be a forgotten entity with fans, how quickly some seem to move on! :o If he is ready to go I'm not sure Kennedy and Ed get a start in 2022!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Why would Cuningham be a replacement for Ed and/or Kennedy ? I see him more as a pacy, outside finisher than an inside grunt mid.

Reply #11
Why would Cuningham be a replacement for Ed and/or Kennedy ? I see him more as a pacy, outside finisher than an inside grunt mid.
If you already have Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and perhaps even Hewett in the grunt midfield mix rotations, you need complimentary pace in there. Starting with too many slows in the mid at once dooms you to losing momentum. So we need to find a way to keep some pace in their along side players like Cripps and Walsh.

Kennedy and Ed might be better as rotations with Cripps and Walsh, not in rotations with the running types that surround them.

How you then do that, off the bench or out of the FP or BP is up to the coaches to manage, but at least commit to being competitive or holding ground in all rotations so the momentum doesn't swing violently.

While I was all for Teague's game style, one of my big criticisms of his setup last year was that too often we ended up with all slows or all skinnies in the midfield. It can't happen, it makes it too easy for opponents to counter our tactics.

Some examples, Nic Nat or Blicavs ruck against De Koning, both are heavier and stronger than De Koning. We have Cripps, Walsh and Ed at ground level around De Koning. Nic Nat or Blicavs can win the ruck and still beat Cripps, Walsh and Ed to the footy over 10m! Ignoring that we won, in the 3rd Qtr against Freo Sean Darcy cleans up our ruck and takes out Fogarty and Dow, leaving Freo with the numbers, Mundy, Brayshaw and Cerra get an armchair ride basically against Cripps on his lonesome! All this comes because of an imbalance in the rotations. Getting it right is critical, they have to be on the park, in the right spot, at the right time!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
If you already have Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and perhaps even Hewett in the grunt midfield mix, you need pace in there. Starting with too many slows in the mid at once dooms you to losing momentum. So we need to find a way to keep some pace in their along side players like Cripps and Walsh.

Kennedy and Ed might be better as rotations with Cripps and Walsh, not in rotations with the running types that surround them.

How you then do that, off the bench or out of the FP or BP is up to the coaches to manage, but at least commit to being competitive or holding ground in all rotations so the momentum doesn't swing violently.

Right, but that's more about list balance, as opposed to three players competing for the same spot ? Clearly you need a mix of players who defend and those who attack, a mix of talls and smalls, a mix of inside and outside etc. ? IMO, Kennedy and Ed would be kept out of the side by Cripps, Hewett etc., and not Cuningham.

Reply #13
If you already have Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and perhaps even Hewett in the grunt midfield mix rotations, you need complimentary pace in there. Starting with too many slows in the mid at once dooms you to losing momentum. So we need to find a way to keep some pace in their along side players like Cripps and Walsh.

While I was all for Teague's game style, one of my big criticisms of his setup last year was that too often we ended up with all slows or all skinnies in the midfield. It can't happen, it makes it too easy for opponents to counter our tactics.

Some examples, Nic Nat or Blicavs ruck against De Koning, both are heavier and stronger than De Koning. We have Cripps, Walsh and Ed at ground level around De Koning. Nic Nat or Blicavs can win the ruck and still beat Cripps, Walsh and Ed to the footy over 10m!

The midfield will be rotated no doubt. But we have a LOT of slow midfielders. They will all need to be given time in there. I just hope Stocker is given plenty of time in the midfield.

Reply #14
Right, but that's more about list balance, as opposed to three players competing for the same spot ? Clearly you need a mix of players who defend and those who attack, a mix of talls and smalls, a mix of inside and outside etc. ? IMO, Kennedy and Ed would be kept out of the side by Cripps, Hewett etc., and not Cuningham.
I disagree, and I think in the weeks after Barker got kyboshed we saw a positive change under Power's guidance, things were far better balanced even if it was left up to some more erratic players in Dow and Kennedy.

I think based on what we saw early last season, if he is ready to go, Cunnigham will be comfortably in the side and rightly so, and he'll be in there at the expense of a slower Mid, not at the expense of a zippy SF or HB!

Anyway, I realise my position on this is based on some list philosophy that some will find uncomfortable, as we have already debated.
The Force Awakens!