Skip to main content
Topic: Jordan Mailata & the Philly Eagles (Read 2969 times) previous topic - next topic

Jordan Mailata & the Philly Eagles

Looks like Jordan Mailata is entrenched now at the Philadelphia Eagles at Left Tackle. And the Philly Eagles, after a poor start, are now in the hunt for a wild card spot for the playoffs. At least 1 poster on this site won't want them to succeed. To make the playoffs, Philly needs to take the spot currently occupied by Minnesota Vikings. The stats site 538 crunched the numbers and gives Philly a 38% chance of doing just that.

Jordan Mailata is a former Rugby player from Sydney who participated in the NFL's International Player Pathway (which entailed being on a TV documentary following around the contenders). He ended up being drafted in the 7th round of the 2018 draft by Philly. At 203 cm and 165 kg, he was at least the right size for the job. Injuries and a lack of experience meant he didn't get much of a look-in until last year but he showed enough that Philly gave him an $US80m contract just before the start of this season,  $US40.25m of which was guaranteed. They also gave him the LT spot (made famous by the movie "The Blind Side") instead of their 2019 1st round pick Andre Dillard. His performances have driven some commentators to say that Philly got a steal, saying they'd have to pay twice as much if they hadn't signed him up early. As 1 guy put it:
The 24-year-old Mailata was a seventh-round pick in the 2018 NFL draft who now routinely dominates first-round defensive ends, linebackers and edge rushers. His overall PFF grade of 82.8 puts him in the top 10 among offensive tackles this season.

Over 719 snaps in 2021 (a Week 15 game not yet included), Mailata has surrendered just two sacks and one QB hit. He has surrendered 18 pressures but seven of those came during an off-game in Week 7 against the Las Vegas Raiders (he also surrendered a sack and a QB hit in that game).
ProFootballFocus.com actually graded Mailata as the 4th best Tackle in the NFL.

He has also impressed fans with his ability to run through opponents. Early in the season, he pancaked a cornerback to free up a touchdown run and he put NY Giant Darnay Holmes in hospital with broken ribs when he hit him at speed: see the video of that hit at
https://twitter.com/i/status/1465025423973261312

As time has gone on, the offence has clicked into gear despite trading away Tight End Zach Ertz to the Cardinals. Their running back has now set a record by running more than 200 yards in 5 games this season. And the most recent game against Washington saw an interesting rugby play that utilises Mailata's size and power. The Quarterback, Jaelen Hurts, rushed 2 touchdowns in goal line stands where the offensive line pushed forward like a rugby scrum allowing Hurts to jump over the left side of the offensive line. Mailata might find it harder to stop an edge-rusher with dancing feet and spin moves, but he has no trouble bulldozing his opponent in a tight line.

The only downside is that it looks like he's battling an ankle injury in a bid to take on the Giants on 27 December.

Re: Jordan Mailata & the Philly Eagles

Reply #1
Looks like Jordan Mailata is entrenched now at the Philadelphia Eagles at Left Tackle. And the Philly Eagles, after a poor start, are now in the hunt for a wild card spot for the playoffs. At least 1 poster on this site won't want them to succeed. To make the playoffs, Philly needs to take the spot currently occupied by Minnesota Vikings. The stats site 538 crunched the numbers and gives Philly a 38% chance of doing just that.

After MNF the stats had the vikings (after winning) only a 39% chance of taking the spot.

We (vikings) play the 10-4 rams this week and will have to do it without at least our star running back who is on the Covid list. Thankfully, his backup Mattison, will be coming back into the lineup from the covid list. We've been hit by a quite a few players going onto the covid list of late. We also play the NFC leading Packers again (although we beat them first time round) this time @ lambeau though.

Eagles have an easier draw, but i think its the Saints who might pip all the above as they have an even easier draw.

Don't know much Mailata TBH.

Reply #2
Philly has the advantage against Saints as they beat them the only time they've played. On the other hand, Vikings have the advantage over Philly.

Philly's only real obstacle is Dallas in the last week. They should beat Giants and Washington as they've beaten both before (although Washington had a problem with the Covid protocols, including losing their QB & going with a 3rd stringer).

The Covid protocols are the great randomiser. The odds on every game might swing wildly depending on who has problems.

EDIT: The Giants beat the Eagles a few weeks back.

Reply #3
Saints lost to Dolphins and Vikings lost to Rams, so now 538 estimates there's a 68% chance of Philly making the playoffs. A win next week against Washington would just about seal the deal.

Reply #4
Here's some NFL trivia questions:

1. What State(s) have the most NFL teams?

2. What team plays its home games in Washington?

3. What team(s) play their home games in New York State?

Reply #5
Here's some NFL trivia questions:

1. What State(s) have the most NFL teams?

2. What team plays its home games in Washington?

3. What team(s) play their home games in New York State?

With no thought whatsoever...

1. Texas + California?
2. Seattle
3. Nobody?

Reply #6
1. Florida (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars, & Miami Dolphins) & New York State (NY Jets, NY Giants, & Buffalo Bills). California used to have 3 but lost the Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas. Texas has 2 as well. EDIT: I failed my own trivia question! California does indeed have 3 teams: LA Chargers, SF 49ers & LA Rams. D'oh! Also, some wouldn't give the Jets & Giants to NY State, but they're based there in the same way that Washington FC is based in Washington DC.

2. Good get. Most would have guessed the obvious: the Washington FC. But they play home games at FedEx Field in neighbouring Maryland. 

3. Again, good get that you didn't include NY Jets & Giants as they share a stadium in neighbouring New Jersey, not very far from New York City. But Buffalo Bills play their home games in Buffalo which is in NY State.

Reply #7
1. Florida (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars, & Miami Dolphins) & New York State (NY Jets, NY Giants, & Buffalo Bills). California used to have 3 but lost the Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas. Texas has 2 as well. EDIT: I failed my own trivia question! California does indeed have 3 teams: LA Chargers, SF 49ers & LA Rams. D'oh! Also, some wouldn't give the Jets & Giants to NY State, but they're based there in the same way that Washington FC is based in Washington DC.

2. Good get. Most would have guessed the obvious: the Washington FC. But they play home games at FedEx Field in neighbouring Maryland. 

3. Again, good get that you didn't include NY Jets & Giants as they share a stadium in neighbouring New Jersey, not very far from New York City. But Buffalo Bills play their home games in Buffalo which is in NY State.

I always forget about Buffalo.

I wouldn't include New York in Q1 as you said (and i knew) Jets and Giants play out of New Jersey.
So i'd say California and Florida would be the correct answers. (FWIW, i couldn't tell you where jacksonville is which is why i didn't think of Florida....insignificant in so many ways)
re Texas, they have 3 NBA teams (out of 30) but only 2 NFL teams out of 32

Reply #9
I read articles a while back about him as kid. I thought I posted about it but maybe that was on a previous incarnation of this site. The articles noted how he posed an issue for parents of opposing players in rugby where teams were simply divided by age. As a youngster, he was so huge it was like letting an adult play in the U12s etc. Good to see him picking on guys his own size now (or nearer to his own size at least)!

Reply #12
Saints lost to Dolphins and Vikings lost to Rams, so now 538 estimates there's a 68% chance of Philly making the playoffs. A win next week against Washington would just about seal the deal.

As i said earlier, vikings are very little chance having to come up against Green Bay #Lambeau.

Just to emphasis this, Kirk Cousins has been put on the covid list and we've had to sign a QB to cover.
Already with a few other key injuries means this game could get ugly.....quick.
Thankfully our defense is largely healthy, but i have no faith in our offense to put points on the board.

Philly are in.

Reply #13
There's still a couple of days for things to go belly up for Philly as well.

Let me guess: the Vikings didn't sign Colin Kaepernick to fill in. That's one of the reasons I can't fully embrace the NFL. It's racist to the core. It's not just clowns like Gruden who are the issue. The rich white dudes who own the various franchises form a cartel in conjunction with the NFL. It's pretty hard to ignore the fact that I've got more chance of filling in at QB than Kaepernick.

Reply #14
There's still a couple of days for things to go belly up for Philly as well.

Let me guess: the Vikings didn't sign Colin Kaepernick to fill in. That's one of the reasons I can't fully embrace the NFL. It's racist to the core. It's not just clowns like Gruden who are the issue. The rich white dudes who own the various franchises form a cartel in conjunction with the NFL. It's pretty hard to ignore the fact that I've got more chance of filling in at QB than Kaepernick.
Not quite so political.

Brought back Sean Mannion who has been on the vikings list previously, and practiced with our guys.
He will jump on the list and straight into starting QB, despite having 2 other less experienced options available.

re Philly...
It all depends on this round.
The last round, all of the contenders should win (from memory) but its this round that will cause the dramas. Some, unfavoured, teams get up in unlikely matches (like say vikings over packers) and the whole thing is turned on its head.
After this round, the final round almost becomes irrelevent.