Skip to main content
Topic: Meatloaf Dead.. (Read 2535 times) previous topic - next topic

Meatloaf Dead..

I know he copped a bad rap after the Grand Final fiasco, but Bat Out Of Hell is still one of the all time great albums, and his tour of Australia on the strength of that album was bloody good!  The Meat is dead , but the music will definitely live on!!

Re: Meatloaf Dead..

Reply #1
His name was Robert Paulson...

RIP
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
His name was Robert Paulson...

RIP
Born Marvin Lee Aday
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_Loaf
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
"Bat out of Hell" was one of our wedding songs. ;D
Farewell Mr Loaf
RIP :(

Reply #5
Very sad news, RIP.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #7
Australia’s biggest selling album ever is Meat Loaf’s “Bat Out Of Hell” selling nearly 2 million copies here. 

It’s the 4th biggest selling album in the world.

That’s a lot of Meat Loaf…!!  RIP
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #9
Joining his writing mate, Jim Steinman who also passed not long ago. 

Reply #10
Very sad news, RIP.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #11
Australia’s biggest selling album ever is Meat Loaf’s “Bat Out Of Hell” selling nearly 2 million copies here.

I've always felt those stats are a bit dubious, because it seems to depend heavily on the source of the data and a certain level of continuity in management/ownership.

Do you know how they work the cut off for these figures, or how they are calculated?

The thing that alerted me to an anomaly a few years back was an interview I watched with Elton John. He thanked Australia for buying over 1 million copies of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, yet when I looked it up official sales were only 200,000, but that 200,000 was an "at the time" of release figure and there seems to be no update after many decades ago!

I've also heard recent attributes of bands like Cold Chisel, Australian Crawl and Skyhooks selling close to 1 million of their hit albums in Australia but they never seem to appear in official figures.

The "Bat out of Hell" figures seems to be accumulative, as are many others in that list!

btw, I'm not disputing the figures, I'm just curious that there seems to be such a massive differential from some other obviously huge and very commonly found albums.

Years ago when I worked for the newspapers, one of my mates at work was the editor for the music reviews, back then it was a big part of the weekend papers, he'd claim back then which was in the 80s/90s nobody else's sales even came close to ABBA's sales!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12

I've always felt those stats are a bit dubious, because it seems to depend heavily on the source of the data and a certain level of continuity in management/ownership.

Do you know how they work the cut off for these figures, or how they are calculated?

The thing that alerted me to an anomaly a few years back was an interview I watched with Elton John. He thanked Australia for buying over 1 million copies of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, yet when I looked it up official sales were only 200,000, but that 200,000 was an "at the time" of release figure and there seems to be no update after many decades ago!

I've also heard recent attributes of bands like Cold Chisel, Australian Crawl and Skyhooks selling close to 1 million of their hit albums in Australia but they never seem to appear in official figures.

The "Bat out of Hell" figures seems to be accumulative, as are many others in that list!

btw, I'm not disputing the figures, I'm just curious that there seems to be such a massive differential from some other obviously huge and very commonly found albums.

Years ago when I worked for the newspapers, one of my mates at work was the editor for the music reviews, back then it was a big part of the weekend papers, he'd claim back then which was in the 80s/90s nobody else's sales even came close to ABBA's sales!

Who knows for sure.
I have 'Bat out of Hell'...but I also have two ABBA albums.
At the time the Meatloaf thing was pretty big...as was Meatloaf. ;D

Reply #13

I know what you mean, but I have written two books on this type of music trivia.  I always try to fine two independant sources or quotes before including it.  A lot of figures are based on charts and records from America, England  Australia.  The difficulty happened when Asia built a pirate black market which blew out figures.  I don't include those...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #14
I know what you mean, but I have written two books on this type of music trivia.  I always try to fine two independant sources or quotes before including it.  A lot of figures are based on charts and records from America, England  Australia.  The difficulty happened when Asia built a pirate black market which blew out figures.  I don't include those...
Thanks @Wet Willie‍ , I'm glad that suspicion is not just my paranoia setting in.
The Force Awakens!