Skip to main content
Topic: trudeau (Read 2389 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: trudeau

Reply #15
Be careful of trusting those polls, often the sponsors pre-determine the result by careful choice of both question and participant.

I quoted it ... I didn't participate LP.  Look at the US VP.  Another dead duck.

Reply #16
Maybe I'm sheltered, but it appears to me you have to be within certain circles to even see or stumble across these sorts of reports, that may well be a tell that they are a tad partisan.

There seems to be a lot of self-fertilization going around!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
Interesting.  Without context, the line between being a nazi and actively fighting what one perceives as one seems to be a very, very fine line. 

Some of the comments about government authoritarianism is quite shocking.

People have the right to protest against what they're witnessing is a government disservice.

Here we see people advocating for frozen bank accounts, loss of livelihoods and potentially lives.

When I watch a movie like the pianist, which action resembles a Jewish person being ostracised?  Is it right to do that, and if you're advocating for government action resembling this, then careful you aren't standing on the wrong side of history later.  Most government actions are not fully understood whilst injustice is being done until much later and I see people almost advocating for gulags to become the way to deal with recalcitrant citizens.

Very interesting to see the psychology at work.

Yes, there’s no doubt that people have the right to peaceful protest in liberal democracies.  However, there’s a difference between peaceful protests and gatherings that use force, disruption of other folks’ lives and livelihood and/or threats to promote a particular belief or beliefs.

People can carry placards, hire skywriters, perform street theatre, march through the streets (within reason), flood social media, call talkback radio, place ads in the media, write to politicians, vote against the government, stand for parliament, etc, etc.  Blockading streets and/or denying others the use of infrastructure, public places or the freedom to go about one’s legitimate interests is going too far.

It doesn’t matter whether it’s freedumbers, anti-vaxxers, extinction rebellion, or the folk who don’t like what’s happening at the Collingwood children’s farm; protest all you like but comply with the law.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
Maybe I'm sheltered, but it appears to me you have to be within certain circles to even see or stumble across these sorts of reports, that may well be a tell that they are a tad partisan.

There seems to be a lot of self-fertilization going around!

Pardon?

Reply #19
This Is Why Conservatives Love The Canadian Truckers, Huffpost.

When Black Lives Matter or other liberal protest groups block a road for an evening, there is no shortage of calls for violence. Right-wing legislators hastily pass laws that would make it legal to run over protesters, and conservative pundits flood the airwaves and social media to decry the unspeakable horror of holding up traffic for a few hours.

But now that a very loud but ultimately small group of white people in Canada have disrupted the flow of goods and people for weeks, their tone is, predictably, different. Black people and their allies protesting police brutality is an affront to the American project. But fighting for the liberty to contract an infectious disease and give it to your neighbor? That’s called freedom, baby.

It’s no coincidence that the BLM protests — large and diverse in nature — are treated differently than a small minority of white people protesting public health measures. The protests, which have altered significant parts of daily Canadian life, are providing American conservatives a taste of what they’ve been dreaming of for so long: white minority rule.

Conservative news media and other supporters of the Canadian truckers have made it a point to prioritize the feelings and wants of a perpetually aggrieved white minority who believe their so-called freedoms are more important than the health and livelihood of the majority of Canadians.

Reply #20
I quoted it ... I didn't participate LP.  Look at the US VP.  Another dead duck.

So what’s Kamala Harris got to do with Trudeau’s alleged drop in popularity?  Is this a “look over there” moment?

Like Trudeau, Harris has only just won an election and has ample time to turn poor opinion polls into another election win.  Of course, Canadians are not like the folk south of the border with their rusted on loyalty to Democrats or Republicans and swinging voters are a thing. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
With these future elections...surely it will boil down to who Putin wants to win. ;)

Reply #22
With these future elections...surely it will boil down to who Putin wants to win. ;)

Don’t forget Xi Jinping Lods; his operatives are hard at work.

Reply #23
I've contacts in Canada, they tell me the effect of the transport blockade was particularly bad in regional areas, there they basically found empty shelves in supermarkets, no fuel for heating, a shortage of critical medicines.

The media focussed on the impact the blockade had on the commercial world, a shortage of supplies for car makers, etc., and completely ignored the human cost. Just another sign of how sick the media has become.

What alarms me is how quickly things deteriorated, not unlike our great bog roll shortage of 2020, imagine that applying to pretty much everything! :o

The other thing that is alarming is how little disruption is required to send things into a spin, I heard one estimate the road blockade reduce supply by less than 20%, yet still having 80% of what is normally available had a massive impact. But I suppose the tell is in the impact of regional areas. It's not that they all get 20% less universally, the problem is that 80% of people are basically not affected, and 20% might get nothing at all, it is not linear. If you are at the end of the supply chain, bad luck for you!

That happened here too *still is happening* thanks to COVID impacting supply chains, workers, etc, and we didnt cop the case load numbers anywhere near as badly as we could have.

Its very interesting that the blockade is blamed for something that we witnessed here in Aus, with minimal cases by contrast.  Couldnt get sliced bread some weeks, rice and pasta vanished from shelves.  The blockaded stopped the supply chain...  Maybe it did, maybe it didnt.  Maybe, there is a lot more to all of it, and people are being manipulated.

I see a lot of comments about Right wing vs Left wing, when the reality is as follows.  If you lose your humanity, trying to act in humanities best interests, the answer is you lost when you started.

You will notice I am deliberately not taking a side.  The people on here should review what they think should happen to people they dont agree with.  This isnt a joke, and I take all of this very seriously.  Humanity has no hope, if we cannot act humanely. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
Anyone who urged a humane response to the BLM protests has a reasonable standing to urge a humane response to dealing with breaches of Covid rules. But those who railed against the BLM protesters and wanted to see a crackdown by the police or were outraged by the police being called out would be a wee bit hypocritical if they took that tack.

This is the reason we like to say the rule of law applies in our country. The alternative is rule by fiat or the whims of those with power. If rules need to be followed by others but they should be flexible when they apply to us, then there's no rule of law. And this also applies to the making of the law too. If only conservatives are allowed to pass laws and right-wingers consider that they are entitled to ignore laws passed by leftwing governments, then we don't have the rule of law. That's a recipe for subjective value judgements and the one-way view of rights: I have the right to do what I want and I also have the right to stop others from doing what they want to do.

As pointed out in the article I posted, Tucker Carlson and the FoxNews crew were quite happy to call for a crackdown on BLM protests and yet they were outraged that the Canadian government would break up the trucker blockade which lasted much longer. Hypoocrisy much?