Skip to main content
Topic: AAMI Community Match vs Melbourne (Read 5282 times) previous topic - next topic

AAMI Community Match vs Melbourne

AAMI Community Series team

Backs:    Lewis Young    Oscar McDonald     Zac Williams

Half-backs:    Nic Newman    Mitch McGovern      Adam Saad

Centreline:    Will Setterfield     Patrick Cripps       Lochie O'Brien

Half-forwards:    Matthew Owies    Jack Silvagni   Zac Fisher

Forwards:     Corey Durdin     Harry McKay     Tom De Koning

Followers:    Marc Pittonet     George Hewett     Adam Cerra

Interchange:   Jordan Boyd   Matthew Cottrell    Ed Curnow   Matthew Kennedy   Jack Martin   Luke Parks   Lachie Plowman
Tom Williamson

No Paddy Dow again!  The coach sees something he doesn't like?!?!

Re: AAMI Community Match vs Melbourne

Reply #1
No Paddy Dow again!  The coach sees something he doesn't like?!?!

Perhaps Dow's already pencilled in for Round 1  :-\

A few fringe players made it to the interchange bench but Fogarty's cameo wasn't enough to get him a game.

Lewis Young gets a chance to press for selection in Round 1.  At this stage he's third banana behind Weitering and McDonald.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
re Dow...
Vossy said in an interview, specifically about him, that there is only so many people you can play in the team at once....and only so many positions a player can play.
Dow is clearly a mid.
We have plenty of other mids who need time in the middle - Cerra, Hewitt, Cripps as starters (with Walsh out) and with Kennedy, Ed (who didn't play last week) and a few others basically fighting for the same spot.

I think Dow needs another string to his bow, so we can rest him forward (or back) when he isn't used in the middle.

Reply #3
re Dow...
Vossy said in an interview, specifically about him, that there is only so many people you can play in the team at once....and only so many positions a player can play.
Dow is clearly a mid.
We have plenty of other mids who need time in the middle - Cerra, Hewitt, Cripps as starters (with Walsh out) and with Kennedy, Ed (who didn't play last week) and a few others basically fighting for the same spot.

I think Dow needs another string to his bow, so we can rest him forward (or back) when he isn't used in the middle.

We do need some outside run and none of those above give us breakaway pace. For that reason I think it’s a mistake not investing more time in Dow.

Reply #4
Given Young has experience as a ruckman, he might be able to pull double-duty as the tall defender taking boundary throw-ins inside D50. Some teams will have their power forward taking those stoppages and throwing a non-rucking KPD into those contests is risky. Giving away frees in that part of the ground is disastrous and you don't want to allow guys like Hawkins to rip the ball out of the air and have a ping at goal. That'll allow Pittonet & TDK to limit their area of operations.

Reply #5
Given Young has experience as a ruckman, he might be able to pull double-duty as the tall defender taking boundary throw-ins inside D50.
Maybe, not sure that is fair for Young when he is in as a Weiter's substitute, although in the absence of English I believe he did that very role for the Dogs at stages last season!

Personally, I'd be more inclined to let Pitto camp on the defensive side after the bounce, and let Young and De Koning get on their bike pushing forward both kids have reasonable wheels and should be capable of matching Gawn on the run.

PS; I've heard Gawn might be a late out or on reduced game time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
Does anyone know if the VFL game will be televised anywhere, think it is on before the AFL game? Would love to see Doc's take the field.

Reply #7
Young has mainly been a tall defender and was thrown into the ruck last year as English was needed to replace Josh Bruce up forward and Stefan Martin was injured. The consensus seems to be that he was monstered by the big ruckmen and when Martin came back from injury he lost his spot to him in the PF & GF. That resulted in his request for a trade at the start of Trade Week. I'd imagine he's hoping to carve out a spot in defence rather than as a 2nd string ruck with us. But his experience in the ruck and his height give him a point of difference that might help him do this.

Reply #8
Does anyone know if the VFL game will be televised anywhere, think it is on before the AFL game? Would love to see Doc's take the field.
It isn't on Fox Footy, I can tell you that. Unless Kayo is doing it, you'd have to scour the internet to see if there's any app for VFL matches, but it's unlikely there'll be any coverage of VFL practice matches.

Reply #9
Can anyone confirm who sits on the current MC?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Can anyone confirm who sits on the current MC?

I’m still trying to find out who was on last season’s MC 🤔

I’m hoping that few, if any, of last year’s lot kept their gigs.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13

According to the Twitter feed:

... today's game will not be live-streamed. But full highlights will be available on the Carlton website post-match.

Reply #14
I gather things are not going well given the Carlton Twitter feed has slowed to a crawl!

Oops; Spoke too soon, but assumption was correct, 9 - 54 in a 1/2 of footy! :o

Those of us old enough to have lived through the golden era won't be worried, back then we would get smashed in pre-season games, then when the real stuff started we were the mustard!
The Force Awakens!