Skip to main content
Topic: CDC won't allow Djokovic into US to play at Indian Wells & Miami (Read 3605 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: CDC won't allow Djokovic into US to play at Indian Wells & Miami

Reply #15
The British Govt may be going a bit far now:
Medvedev will be banned from Wimbledon if he fails to denounce Putin, The Age.

Players compete as individuals and bans on Russian teams shouldn't apply. All that should be required is that they compete as neutrals and don't inflame tensions.

It doesn't look like there are any Putin-apologists amongst Russian tennis players anyway, but requiring players to denounce a dictator with a penchant for killing journalists and other critics is problematic. Fortunately, the more successful Russian tennis players have wealth that's not controlled by Putin and could probably avoid having to return to Russia. No doubt Russia's Oligarchs could only dream of that. But there's a difference between expecting players to avoid inflaming tensions and directly attacking their own country.

In any event, Medvedev, Rublev and Palyuchenkova have all done enough in my view to avoid any individual bans.

Reply #16
The British Govt may be going a bit far now:
Medvedev will be banned from Wimbledon if he fails to denounce Putin, The Age.

Players compete as individuals and bans on Russian teams shouldn't apply. All that should be required is that they compete as neutrals and don't inflame tensions.

It doesn't look like there are any Putin-apologists amongst Russian tennis players anyway, but requiring players to denounce a dictator with a penchant for killing journalists and other critics is problematic. Fortunately, the more successful Russian tennis players have wealth that's not controlled by Putin and could probably avoid having to return to Russia. No doubt Russia's Oligarchs could only dream of that. But there's a difference between expecting players to avoid inflaming tensions and directly attacking their own country.

In any event, Medvedev, Rublev and Palyuchenkova have all done enough in my view to avoid any individual bans.

I think that "denounce" was more media speculation than government intention.  Medvedev, Rublev and Palyuchenkova should be allowed to play as neutrals.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
At Wimbledon, the players are playing for themselves, not "their country". 

Representing your country only happens at the old Davis Cup/Fed Cup or Olympic comps.

In effect, at nearly every other competition every player is playing neutral.
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #18
The bad guys have been permitted to play at the French Open.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #19
Why are the Russian players "bad guys"? And Djokovic isn't a bad guy either: he's just an entitled twat. Not the same thing.

Reply #20
I think that "denounce" was more media speculation than government intention.  Medvedev, Rublev and Palyuchenkova should be allowed to play as neutrals.
Looks as though it's more than media speculation that Russian & Belarusian players will be required to denounce Putin before being allowed to enter the Wimbledon tournament: ‘Not an issue for Wimbledon’: All England club set to ban Medvedev, The Age.

The article notes Wimbledon is a tournament held by a private club, so it's immune from legal challenge, unlike other tournaments run by the ATP or WTA. Apparently, there's a desire to ensure Putin can't obtain obtain political capital out of a Medvedev win. As the article notes, it appears that the All England Club might require Russian and Belarusian players sign a written document denouncing Putin which would be unsafe for Medvedev or any other players to do.

Seems to be a step too far in an individual sport.  

Reply #22
Looks as though it's more than media speculation that Russian & Belarusian players will be required to denounce Putin before being allowed to enter the Wimbledon tournament: ‘Not an issue for Wimbledon’: All England club set to ban Medvedev, The Age.

The article notes Wimbledon is a tournament held by a private club, so it's immune from legal challenge, unlike other tournaments run by the ATP or WTA. Apparently, there's a desire to ensure Putin can't obtain obtain political capital out of a Medvedev win. As the article notes, it appears that the All England Club might require Russian and Belarusian players sign a written document denouncing Putin which would be unsafe for Medvedev or any other players to do.

Modern society started operating like this a little while ago, and it was shouted down by people who are very quick to point the finger at you for being too right wing.

What can you do?  The answer is, keep your thoughts private, and state what the status quo want you to, because any opposing thoughts are shutdown with very little discussion  and you must fear reprisal.

Being silent is apparently an act of compliance.  I learned that one when my non Greek wife somehow found fault with me, when my brother was being an ultra nationalist and only wants a Greek wife.  Of course, he has spoken like this my entire life, and it made little difference to me, but somehow I am responsible because I kept my mouth shut.  Starving that discussion of oxygen apparently isnt an appropriate strategy.

So now, I simply echo the chamber.  You cant say that stuff any more.  Its offensive.  Why though?  We all go through that in varying degrees.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
You quoted my post but for the life of me I can't see how it relates to your post.

Reply #24
You quoted my post but for the life of me I can't see how it relates to your post.

Your last sentences.

As the article notes, it appears that the All England Club might require Russian and Belarusian players sign a written document denouncing Putin which would be unsafe for Medvedev or any other players to do.

My post is about this.  I got glared at one day at work for refusing the rainbow ribbon. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25
Just need to suspend Medvedev for being Russian and then one of the good guys can be the best.
;D  ;D  ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26
Politics certainly seems to be at the heart of this as the British sports minister Nigel Huddleston seems to be driving this. While the All England Club might be immune from legal challenge, I guess like the AFL & Tennis Australia it depends on Govt funding and other support. Presumably, the All England Club would prefer to ensure the best players can play, just as the Australian Open was keen to have Djokovic play.

Reply #27
I got glared at one day at work for refusing the rainbow ribbon. 

You gotta be kiddin' ...but sadly, I know you're not.

Reply #28
"The ability for players of any nationality to enter tournaments based on merit, and without discrimination, is fundamental to our Tour," the ATP said in a statement.

"The decision by Wimbledon to ban Russian and Belarusian players from competing in the UK this summer undermines this principle and the integrity of the ATP Ranking system. It is also inconsistent with our Rankings agreement.

"Absent a change in circumstances, it is with great regret and reluctance that we see no option but to remove ATP Ranking points from Wimbledon for 2022."
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #29
Will this mean that some stars may choose not to compete at Wimbledon? I suppose the money would still be attractive.
Reality always wins in the end.