Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Bombers poaching Velcro - Maddy P and Georgia G set to flee (Read 6043 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW - Bombers poaching Velcro - Maddy P and Georgia G set to flee

Reply #60
Carlton did attract them, but they didn't stay!

Seems there’s a bit is a pattern here don’t you think? Has any other side lost 2 club captains?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #61
That's true...which is why we shouldn't let the movement get us down too much.

Give it five years and we may have a stable team we can start to get behind and get a bit emotional about.
Sadly many of those few players who have stuck with the team probably won't be around to see that.
Fair enough, however if it were me in charge of the AFLW, I would have put rules in place such as new teams can only poach one player from any one club.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
Fair enough, however if it were me in charge of the AFLW, I would have put rules in place such as new teams can only poach one player from any one club.

That’s way too reasonable and sensible
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #63
For a quick fix...
They should void all the contracts.
Get the players to nominate if they want to be part of the competition.
Set a salary cap...and away we go. ;D

Fresh start...even playing field  ;)

Reply #64
For a quick fix...
They should void all the contracts.
Get the players to nominate if they want to be part of the competition.
Set a salary cap...and away we go. ;D

Fresh start...even playing field  ;)

Not sure that would work. Most of Adelaide, who have the biggest gerrymander in their favour, would probably stick together because they're winning premierships.
Certainly, it would make a difference to the Victorian clubs. After all, the playing field is not close to equal here either.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #65
Not sure that would work. Most of Adelaide, who have the biggest gerrymander in their favour, would probably stick together because they're winning premierships.
Certainly, it would make a difference to the Victorian clubs. After all, the playing field is not close to equal here either.

It was kind of a tongue in cheek suggestion...
but if they did stick together it would be on a pretty average wage.
The salary cap would mean that some of the players would need to take less than they could get elsewhere.
It won't happen but if such system came in the competition would even itself out fairly quickly.

The inequality and loss of players at the moment is largely because we haven't gone to a full representation of teams up until now.
Once that settles and we should see a stability amongst playing groups...and salary restrictions and opportunities will determine movement.

Reply #66
If we lose Moody, Prespakis, Gee, Stevens and Egan, we may as well sell of the rest of the list while we are at it.

Moody, Prespakis, Gee and Egan was our starting midfield at the start of the year before we got Hill back.
F*** me.

Egan to Richmond

Riley Beveridge
@RileyBev
·
42m
Carlton midfielder Grace Egan is set to return to Richmond during the sign and trade period, having initially been recruited from its VFLW program.

She informed the Blues of her decision last night. More on
@AFLcomau

Reply #67
Well, sad to see Greg go but after the InstaDebacle this was probably inevitable.

We'll get another media lecture from apologist norbits like Peter Ryan, claiming that it's not the player's fault, but I suspect these girls might get a dose of fan reality next time we play.

You can't put out your hand for the big dollars and expect to be applauded, the idea that can happen is just some weirdos fantasy!

This one probably hurts a bit more because it's not even an expansion club this time around, we can't even blame money!

There is a bit of an air of instability, perhaps a bit of white-anting going on, bitter former employees / lovers!

I hope the club and Harf hold their line, squash the white-ants or even better expose them in the process, and make the club a destination for players who actually want to be there.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
No great loss and not unexpected after the Essendon theme song fiasco.

At least I won't have to worry about 'deer in the headlights' holding the ball frees next season  :)

Good luck Greg, but don't let the door hit your butt on the way out!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #69
No great loss ...................
Can't really agree with that, ................... but if they want out then they have to go there is no bet each way in professional sport or any team sport for that matter, you are either 100% committed or you aren't, oddly that will always be binary.

I've have to ponder that perhaps this apparent players desire to have a bet each way is a symptom of a wider AFLW psyche, I suppose I'll get lambasted for that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70
Greg is/was a real character.

She was one of my favourites behind Gee based on what she does on the field and what she is like off it.

Has the odd brain fade (and her reactions to it during are pretty funny) but oozes skill and hunger.

Won't be easily replaced.

Moody was rumoured to be chased by a few clubs too, if she does end up going, thats our starting midfield from the start of the year gone in 1 off-season.

Reply #71
A few years back Liverpool women's faced a similar exodus and everyone thought they'd take ages to recover.  Fast forward a couple of years and they are a dominant force in the WEPL (i dont know what they call it). 

Let the ones who don't want to be here go.  We won't miss them.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #72
We'll be OK if we get compensated, but we'll be shafted going by history.

The feeling of a few disenfranchised fans may come out as serious booing next year.  I hope those players are ready for it.   I fear it might get nasty. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #73
We'll be OK if we get compensated, but we'll be shafted going by history.

The feeling of a few disenfranchised fans may come out as serious booing next year.  I hope those players are ready for it.   I fear it might get nasty. 
There is the big question. I somehow doubt what we get will be what as good as what we lose, but I hope I'm wrong.

As for the traitors, the AFLW hasn't seen that level of feeling before. But, if it is to happen, they'll probably be the targets.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #74
There is the big question. I somehow doubt what we get will be what as good as what we lose, but I hope I'm wrong.

As for the traitors, the AFLW hasn't seen that level of feeling before. But, if it is to happen, they'll probably be the targets.
I don't possibly know how we could be compensated accordingly.
If we got the first 2 picks in the draft, then we'd come close, but still probably fall short. Chance of that happening are less likely than the mens going undefeated from here and winning the next 3 flags.