Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Bombers poaching Velcro - Maddy P and Georgia G set to flee (Read 6054 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW - Bombers poaching Velcro - Maddy P and Georgia G set to flee

Reply #75
A few years back Liverpool women's faced a similar exodus and everyone thought they'd take ages to recover.  Fast forward a couple of years and they are a dominant force in the WEPL (i dont know what they call it). 

Let the ones who don't want to be here go.  We won't miss them.

I hardly watch the AFLW but haven't we underperformed the last couple of years?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #76
I hardly watch the AFLW but haven't we underperformed the last couple of years?

2020 we were in the grand final with a good chance to win and then covid struck.  Wheels have fallen off since then.

Liverpool were pretty similar.  Not bad but not the best, and then had a few walk out in sensational circumstances potting the club on the way out the door.

Beyond that, the women's EPL is a different beast. 

I have to say that having seen gaggles of girls though life, team sport's seems a bit antithesis for them, but I suppose in an all girls comp that struggle is universal.  I suspect the movement will be a bit of a constant in that competition though.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #77
At least we are not the only ones hit.

Erin Phillips is going across town to Port Adelaide.

If they get anything close to the compensation we get for Maddy P, the system is a sham.
Maddy is 10+ years younger (ditto Gee) and has her best years ahead of her at her new club. Phillips will most likely have 1 and done.

Reply #78
At least we are not the only ones hit.

Erin Phillips is going across town to Port Adelaide.

If they get anything close to the compensation we get for Maddy P, the system is a sham.
Maddy is 10+ years younger (ditto Gee) and has her best years ahead of her at her new club. Phillips will most likely have 1 and done.

I'm not really up with the compensation aspect but with all these new teams coming into the competition can we expect any compensation, and if so will it have a lot of value given that you would expect any draft to heavily favour the new sides.

Reply #79
I'm not really up with the compensation aspect but with all these new teams coming into the competition can we expect any compensation, and if so will it have a lot of value given that you would expect any draft to heavily favour the new sides.
Short version, nobody knows what we can expect, if anything, but prev I ously it's been 'something'.

1000% we will be a lot weaker and compensation won't scratch the surface on what we lost....if it's anything at all.

It's more secretive than the secret herbs and spices in KFC.

Reply #80
Short version, nobody knows what we can expect, if anything, but prev I ously it's been 'something'.

1000% we will be a lot weaker and compensation won't scratch the surface on what we lost....if it's anything at all.

It's more secretive than the secret herbs and spices in KFC.

If nothing is set in stone I doubt we'll get anything.
An extra draft pick late in the draft after they've prioritised the new sides might be the best we can hope for.

Reply #81
Clubs that poach players should give up their draft picks in return,  otherwise it's just theft.  How does the league seriously expect us to be competitive going forwards otherwise?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #82
Clubs that poach players should give up their draft picks in return,  otherwise it's just theft.  How does the league seriously expect us to be competitive going forwards otherwise?

There's a good argument for that with established clubs, but as we've seen with the men's competition there has to be 'out of whack' advantages for new  clubs otherwise they won't be competitive.
That effects us quite severely in the short term but once all the sides are up and running a lot of these issues will disappear, things will stabalize, and the 'fairness' won't be an issue.
I'm actually looking forward to that because then we may be able to better emotionally connect with our team, rather than get upset with players who leave after only playing around 30 games.

Reply #83
I don't need to connect emotionally with the side Lods,  I hated those black and red filthy  <deleted> thieving <deleted> <deleted> <deleted> AFL-endorsed <deleted> cheats before this.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #84
There's a good argument for that with established clubs, but as we've seen with the men's competition there has to be 'out of whack' advantages for new  clubs otherwise they won't be competitive.
I'd argue the opposite, the prevalence of poaching older established talent hasn't accelerated the development of youth at clubs like GWS or GC, it's delayed them because the bulk of the list are continually subordinate to an imported culture. In other words they have made the bulk of the list have a dependency rather than the new players becoming a scaffold for improvement. Mumford at GWS is the prime example, they have struggled to replace him despite getting the cream of the crop to choose from!

I think part of the problem is the lack of a Reserves competition, the natural way to introduce new club's would have been to have them in the Reserves level for a season or two while they built a list, then promote them instead of just throwing them in the deep end at the highest level. Satellite comps like suburban or state are not the same as Reserves, as players disperse rather than form a single competitive unit.

Coaches like Cameron had little chance, they were given a jigsaw puzzle with some gilded pieces that didn't really fit the finished product.

How players like Prespakis fair at a new club will be interesting, but she has youth on her side and time to adjust, and she will have to adjust because while fans look at her with rose coloured glasses in reality she carries little weight amongst her new set of peers. Peers only judge you based on what you have done, not what you promise. It took on-field performance from players like Judd and Cripps to win over team-mates, not a promise of a performance.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #85
I think part of the problem is the lack of a Reserves competition, the natural way to introduce new club's would have been to have them in the Reserves level for a season or two while they built a list, then promote them instead of just throwing them in the deep end at the highest level. Satellite comps like suburban or state are not the same as Reserves, as players disperse rather than form a single competitive unit.

I don't remember clearly...but didn't they do that with the GWS side

Reply #86
As far as this "competition" is concerned it is a farce ... a little league would be more entertaining.

Reply #87
I don't remember clearly...but didn't they do that with the GWS side
There was no Reserves, I believe as a club they established GWS as a team in the TAC Cup and the NEAFL, but those players had to go through the draft to get to the AFL.

The point of difference being I think they should have been drafting into a Reserves in the AFL, and retaining those players under AFL contract terms.

For me what they did was pretty much the same sort of continual reset that we keep going through when we repeatedly sack the coach, it's like continually taking 2 steps back to go 3 steps forward. Except in the GWS case they kept the coach and turnover players. Either strategy is flawed, it's sticking fat and building unity and connection while working around the frayed edges that brings success. When we change the coach, or they turnover marquee players, it's like the Emperor's New Suit. We know this well having suffered the messiah complex for so long!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #88
There was no Reserves, I believe as a club they established GWS as a club in the TAC Cup and the NEAFL, but those players had to go through the draft to get to the AFL.

The point of difference being I think they should have been drafting into a Reserves in the AFL, and retaining those players under AFL contract terms.

For me what they did was pretty much the same sort of continual reset that we keep going through when we repeatedly sack the coach, it's like continually taking 2 steps back to go 3 steps forward. Except in the GWS case they kept the coach and turnover players. Either strategy is flawed, it's sticking fat and building unity and connection while working around the frayed edges that brings success. When we change the coach, or they turnover marquee players, it's like the Emperor's New Suit. We know this well having suffered the messiah complex for so long!

I thought the young GWS players were drafted and contracted and then played for a year or two in those lower competitions to develop as a team ...but yes it was nowhere near an AFL reserves  level.

Reply #89
I thought the young GWS players were drafted and contracted and then played for a year or two in those lower competitions to develop as a team ...but yes it was nowhere near an AFL reserves  level.

Suns did the same
Let’s go BIG !