Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 16 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 4516 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 16 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #45
I booked my grand final tickets before weitering got injured.  The lid is off.

For the moment, I'll be happy for us to get to the point where we will definitely play one final.  Then we will see from there.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #46
This is probably the most optimistic I have been for decades Thry, but you’re way ahead of me.

I hope your investment pays off!

#BlueFlaggers
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #47
Cerra the only in, Boyd Out
No Weitering, smart move.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
We've gone in with only six defenders with Cerra replacing Boyd.

Newnes to go back?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
Four good ins for Stkilda, this is going to be a tough game.
Having the two genuine rucks will test TDK again allows Stkilda to play Marshall down forward with King.
Hopefully we play as we did vs Freo and control the ball from the middle and just deny forward entries for the Saints.
Been smashed in the media have the Saints so I expect a rebound effect.
Good test for Voss and the players...

Reply #50
Four good ins for Stkilda, this is going to be a tough game.
Having the two genuine rucks will test TDK again allows Stkilda to play Marshall down forward with King.
Hopefully we play as we did vs Freo and control the ball from the middle and just deny forward entries for the Saints.
Been smashed in the media have the Saints so I expect a rebound effect.
Good test for Voss and the players...
True, but they need to be a hell of a lot better than their recent form to knock us off. On paper our midfield is stronger and their defence can't contain our fwd line.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #51
True, but they need to be a hell of a lot better than their recent form to knock us off. On paper our midfield is stronger and their defence can't contain our fwd line.
Agree, think we will win but it won't be easy. Cripps usually struggles vs Steele and as I said I expect a solid rebound from the Saints in terms of contested footy..

Reply #52
Agree, think we will win but it won't be easy. Cripps usually struggles vs Steele and as I said I expect a solid rebound from the Saints in terms of contested footy..
Agree re Cripps v Steele, me an interesting match up this time. Our themes this year have been (in no particular order):
- Play for your mates
- Anyone, anytime, anywhere
- Better for longer
- Hard to play
- Next man in
- Fierce contested footy
- The gap between our best and worst has diminished significantly
Stick to the above and that will hold us in good stead every week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #53
Keen to see two things in particular, tonight against the Aints.

1. Membrey. This guy loves playing us and has dined out on our defense on a good number of occasions.

2. Backing up. I hope we challenge the players to do even better, or to see this as a new and different challenge. Asking for a repeat (carbon copy) performance is fraught with danger. The Aints will come hard and Ratts has a (strategic) high footy IQ and will no doubt come in with tactics to test our game. Plus they'll be desperate to atone for their last effort.

Warms the cockles when I hear the Vossmeister say that we expect the oppositions best, every week - the only way to go. The Aints best is good enough to beat or at least test most sides. As much as anything, this is a really good test for us - above the shoulders, because man for man and game plan, we've well and truly got them covered.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #54

Last time we played the saints our midfield included Dow, Curnow (and a sub of Murphy).
The addition of Cerra and Hewitt, as well as an improved version of Kennedy and a fit Cripps is a different beast.

If Steele wants to play on Cripps, let him rest forward all game....he's doing that more this year anyway.

Reply #55
We still have Hamill's inside knowledge of the Aints.
This should solve a few issues.
Re Cripps v Steele, we have an uninjured bull at the moment and a Team defending as a Team... end story.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #56
They can go to shut down Cripps, but they cant cover all of him, walsh, cerra or hewett without going extremely defensive.

The inclusion of Bradley Hill is my biggest concern.

I look at their wings, and I see it as a position of strength.  I look at ours, and I see Lachie O'Brien, Newnes and Cotters.  Whilst it is growing on me and the confidence in it is improving, they have a bonafide jet on the opposite wing, and he knows how to play smart footy.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #57
They can go to shut down Cripps, but they cant cover all of him, walsh, cerra or hewett without going extremely defensive.

The inclusion of Bradley Hill is my biggest concern.

I look at their wings, and I see it as a position of strength.  I look at ours, and I see Lachie O'Brien, Newnes and Cotters.  Whilst it is growing on me and the confidence in it is improving, they have a bonafide jet on the opposite wing, and he knows how to play smart footy.
re: Steele vs Cripps.....the former usually does a nullifying job on Cripps but also seems to get plenty of ball himself but you are right in saying they cant tag all of the others and the Saints midfield does drop away with players like B. Crouch, Ross, Gresham, Billings etc all handy but not at the same level as our group Imho.
Obrien, Newnes and Cottrell after being  quiet vs the Pies and Tigers have been in decent form in the past couple of games,. have actually given LOB votes in his last two games🤨which thought I would never do. I could see Cottrell picking up Hill and tagging him given he has good endurance and leg speed.
We will only get into trouble if we leave players on their own like Hill like we did with Sidebottom but I reckon Voss wont allow that to happen again...

Reply #58
St Kilda’s problem is that Hill is their star midfielder but the modern winger is a more blue collar role. Wingers are supposed to maintain width to provide defensive cover and outlets for the switch while running from D50 to F50 with metronome-like consistency. There’s a helluva lot of unrewarded running and, like Melbourne’s Langdon, they have to have insane endurance.

To capitalise on Hill’s talent, they’ve tried to bring him into the contest more. That’s not his strength and they surrender some of the strategic advantages of getting their wingers to keep their width. But that’s what happens when you have a Ferrari on a wing while the VWs are chugging around the ball. Hill would do very nicely in our team because we have an elite centre square crew and he could be left on a wing to provide flashes of brilliance when required.

LOB and Cottrell have the discipline and endurance to play their roles well and LOB matches Hill’s skill by foot.

St Kilda really need to get more out of Hill by running him as a high half-forward with stints in the centre square. If they play him as a high half-forward, he’d probably draw Saad and that will make him earn his paycheck. He’ll have to match Walsh’s output in that role for us, and that’s a high bar. Maybe they could run him as a rebounding HBF.

Reply #59
St Kilda really need to get more out of Hill by running him as a high half-forward with stints in the centre square. If they play him as a high half-forward, he’d probably draw Saad and that will make him earn his paycheck. He’ll have to match Walsh’s output in that role for us, and that’s a high bar. Maybe they could run him as a rebounding HBF.
It'll be intriguing to see how the teams manage play across the quarter, you'd think early on the Aints might have advantage with run and carry, but later in quarters and the game we should have an advantage, as long as we stop the Aints rucks beating up on our mids too much early on!

A trick for us will be to get Charlie and BigH on the scoreboard early, it will force the Aints hand structurally.

Cripps and TDK could be real weapons tonight when floating forward, I'm not sure the Aints have the defence to cover all four if we vary our targets.
The Force Awakens!