Skip to main content
Topic: Kyrgios (Read 4843 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Kyrgios

Reply #15
I'm going for Novak after we screwed him over.
;D  ;D  ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Would love the headline - Djoker was bounced out of Australia and bounced out of Wimbledon by an Aussie! Go Nick!

Reply #19
Would love the headline - Djoker was bounced out of Australia and bounced out of Wimbledon by an Aussie! Go Nick!

Until he has a dummy spit and loses. Then he's not a true Aussie.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #20
Fed was certainly no angel early days either - petulant spoilt brat.

There is no one that plays tennis like Kyrgios.  I don't think he knows what shot he is going to play next, so what hope the opponent.  Someone mentioned his quick service games - they can go for less than a minute - puts a lot of pressure on the other side of the net if they feel like they are serving more.

Not sure there are many players that will throw away a set because they're confident of winning the next one.

As to his behaviour.  Is it genuine or tactical on the court?  A bit of both, I reckon - sometimes he needs an outburst to get going.  I remember Todd Woodbridge (or some other battle Aussie) playing McEnroe at Wimbledon and Todd called McEnroe out for an early outburst.  Made no difference to the result, but the psychological games were gone.

One thing about Nick though is that he is pretty confident about where he stands in tennis and is happy with it.  He doesn't love the game enough to try and win multiple tournaments, but doesn't seem to care either.

Reply #21
iirc, Kyrgios was quite sympathetic to Djoker during the vaccination scandal.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Until he has a dummy spit and loses.
Until???

In the early days there wasn't much difference between Tomic and Kyrgios, but Kyrgios started to show some maturity when Tomic didn't!

I'm expecting Tomic to be on social media any day now claiming he was better, it's a form of gamblers lament, if only ............ !
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
As to his behaviour.  Is it genuine or tactical on the court?  A bit of both, I reckon - sometimes he needs an outburst to get going.  I remember Todd Woodbridge (or some other battle Aussie) playing McEnroe at Wimbledon and Todd called McEnroe out for an early outburst.  Made no difference to the result, but the psychological games were gone.
John Fitzgerald?

Reply #24
All this talk about Petulant tennis players, aussie ones at that, and no mention of Lleyton Hewitt? Cmon!

Reply #25
I think you're right, Mav - seemed a bit early for Todd.

Reply #26
Tennis players being petulant crapheads is not rare.

Pat Cash has a bloody hide saying crap about anyone, he was hardly a poster child of good behaviour. I remember Todd Woodbridge also being petulant, Lleyton got in strife a lot, Rafa cheats by time wasting, Djoker is a dickhead, Federer has shown petulance in the later years of his career, Tsitispas
As said previously has been unsportsmanlike on many occasion, and on and on.

Do I like the way Krygios behaves at times - absolutely not. But he does put on a show and I think behind the tennis brat facade is a good bloke - hearing him commentate at times, he was fantastic - much like Lleyton.

Pat Rafter was one out of the box, loved the way he played and behaved. But his type is rare.

So hope Krygios wins Wimbledon, would love it if he beat Djoker in the final actually 👏🏽
For me Cash was the ultimate spoilt entitled flog of Aussie tennis. Never warmed to him because of what I knew about him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
The funny thing is Netflix is following Kyrgios around Wimbledon for a fly-on-the-wall doco.

Ordinarily, that would create some concern that Kyrgios might act up for the cameras. We’re well aware that producers of “reality”  shows try to create drama. So Gene Simmons doesn’t like flying … how about we get his kids to give him a joy flight in a helicopter as a birthday present? But maybe the producers would be going the other way with Kyrgios as no doubt they already have enough craziness in the can. I can just imagine them putting a book in Kyrgios’ hand and asking him to sit on the couch as if he’s reading it. Or maybe they want to take him to the local park so they can get some footage of him feeding the ducks 😂

Reply #28
To get the the very top you have to have a degree of arrogance.

In fact it's trained into our AFL players to think of themselves in glowing terms so that they enter games with a victorious and dominant mindset.

It stands out in solo sports, it take a rare breed to take it to a new level before it to stands out in team sports, like Dangerflog!

If tennis want to make an issue about players being flogs, they should go back and watch the early career of Roger Federer, he made McEnroe and Connors look conservative!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
There were some extenuating circumstances there, though. He was coached as a young tacker by an Australian, Peter Carter (?). Carter became a father figure for Federer. Unfortunately, Carter died in a car accident and young Roger didn’t cope well in the aftermath. Maybe this version of events owes a lot to my frail memory or to some myth-making, but the way he matured gives a lot of credence to it.

Agassi was also a tearaway as a young guy. He confessed in his autobiography to faking a note from his mum to explain away an adverse drug test. He also didn’t like playing tennis originally and did so only because of family pressure (IIRC, his father was a prominent sportsman in Iran - maybe a weightlifter at the Olympics?). He ruffled feathers at Wimbledon with his fashion choices and wore a mullet wig in the French Open against Bjorn Borg to hide his encroaching baldness (which he said was a bit of a handicap for him in that match). His career nosedived but then he turned it around and became a statesman of the sport.

It’s best to have a short memory when assessing tennis players. If they mature, forget about early missteps.