Skip to main content
Topic: Kyrgios (Read 4846 times) previous topic - next topic

Kyrgios

Now he’s probably into the Wimbledon final (as Rafa is struggling physically and might not even play), what do we think of him?

The assault charge laid in Canberra this week clouds the sporting issues. His ex-girlfriend says the timing had nothing to do with her and that’s almost certainly right. But why couldn’t the cop who laid it have waited a week to do so? Maybe s/he’d been lazy and all the coverage from Wimbledon reminded him/her that s/he needed to do his/her job. Anyway, it has to be put to one side as we don’t know what’s alleged other than it involves grabbing. The incident occurred when Kyrgios moved on to his present girlfriend. Many scenarios can be imagined but there’s no point in getting ahead of the facts. The seriousness of the alleged behaviour is unknown as is the strength of the allegation. Let’s leave it there.

The quality of Kyrgios’ tennis can’t be doubted. His service is a nightmare for his opponent as he doesn’t have any physical tells to help the opponent anticipate where it’s going and Kyrgios doesn’t have set strategies that can be decoded. Add that to his big serving on both 1st and 2nd serve (while rarely double faulting) and the fact he serves as soon as he moves into his stance and Kyrgios can rip through a service game without giving his opponent any time to think.

He’s also the opposite of a grinder. He likes to play every shot in the book during every match, from drop shots to underarm serves to tweeners and more. On the other hand, Djokovic is just a wall whose specialty is getting back every shot his opponent plays and getting back into optimal position to play the next. He’s brilliant, no doubt, and charging the net against him isn’t usually going to help, but he’s not spectacular and creative in the way he grinds down his opponents. Djokovic is Boycott to Kyrgios’ Gilchrist.

Then we come down to sportsmanship. I’m more old school when it comes to how tennis players behave. I prefer Rafter and Federer to Hewitt and McEnroe. A few years back, I went off Kyrgios for that reason. But I must say that I have few problems with how he’s behaved this tournament. I base much of that opinion on my assumption about his motivation for his outbursts. I assume his outbursts are not confected with a view to putting off his opponent and “working the ref”. He seems to react with genuine emotion. By contrast, I think McEnroe never really lost his temper. He just acted like he did. And his temper tantrums tended to coincide with times when he needed to change momentum.

Many of Kyrgios’ celebrated outbursts have been self-destructive. He has often given away matches as a result of losing concentration and has even tanked in anger. If I were his opponent, I’d love to see him engaging in unproductive arguments with the chair umpire or spectators. Unlike in McEnroe’s day, there’s not even much benefit in intimidating the chair umpire as video reviews mean the opponent can erase umpiring mistakes.

His outbursts don’t have the visceral edge employed by other players behaving at their worst. Hewitt insinuated a black umpire favoured James Blake because he’s black and Serena threatened to shove a ball down a lineswoman’s throat. McEnroe’s “bald eagle” taunts were nothing more than schoolyard bullying. Compared to those efforts, Kyrgios’ slams have been pretty tame. If I’d been the lineswoman who Kyrgios branded a snitch, I would have had trouble keeping a straight face. It was almost comedic. Yes, he also attacked her by questioning the eyesight of 90 year old linespeople and that’s ageist and a sweeping generalisation but it’s hardly outrageous. His opponent in that opening round, Paul Jubb, is British and the home crowd tried to put Kyrgios off, allegedly using racist taunts. He lashed the crowd and that threw Jubb off his game but I doubt that was Kyrgios’ intention.

Then you come to how he treats other players. His last 2 opponents have behaved impeccably and Kyrgios has not made any attempt to unsettle them by attacking them. On the other hand, Tsitsipas lit the fuse by whacking a spare ball into the crowd, leading Kyrgios to demand he be defaulted. He had a point - imagine what would have happened if it had been Kyrgios who behaved in that fashion. Then Tsitsipas tried to whack balls at Kyrgios. The moral of the story is that Kyrgios won’t go after a player who respects the rules and the courtesies of the game, but he won’t hesitate to challenge those who do. Let’s not forget that Tsitsipas isn’t without blemish when it comes to gamesmanship either. Andy Murray lashed him repeatedly in one match where Tsitsipas repeatedly used toilet breaks and medical timeouts to break Murray’s momentum. One of the toilet breaks was 8 minutes long. Murray openly accused Tsitsipas of being a cheat and demanded the chair umpire take action.

That makes the forthcoming match against Rafa explosive, if Rafa doesn’t default. Rafa tests the rules by taking every second of the time allowed to serve if not more. This is the polar opposite of Kyrgios. Time limits were introduced because of Djokovic and Nadal, amongst others, but chair umpires seem to be unwilling to crack down on them. That will probably also happen when Kyrgios is serving as Kyrgios serves as soon as he walks to the baseline. The receiver is expected to play to the pace of the server but Nadal needs to go through his routine of picking at his clothes and racquet and it’s almost guaranteed that he’ll demand Kyrgios give him time to do that before he serves. It’s easy to predict that Kyrgios will go off at both Nadal and the chair umpire. And Kyrgios is like a dog with a bone - he won’t let up. This then ticks off Nadal who reacts badly to what he regards as disrespect from other players. There was an incredible spectacle in one of Nadal’s earlier matches when he summoned his opponent to the net to tell him off for grunting and various other sins when his opponent had momentum behind him (and it wasn’t lost on most that Nadal is probably the gruntiest player on the male tour). He managed to wrest the momentum and win the game and apologised for his behaviour at the post-match presser. It’s a match made in hell.

Re: Kyrgios

Reply #1
Nadal is telling the whole world his body is broken but his results don't reflect that.

Kygrios has the tools to beat Nadal, the shorter points suit Nick too. I wouldn't bet against Rafa though.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2
Nadal is telling the whole world his body is broken but his results don't reflect that.

Kygrios has the tools to beat Nadal, the shorter points suit Nick too. I wouldn't bet against Rafa though.
I hope Nick wins the tournament.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
I did chuckle when Nick said he doesn't go to people's workplaces and abuse them about an hour after he was abusing a lines woman.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #4
Yep, he has a certain obliviousness about him😁

IIRC, linespeople are volunteers who do it for the honour of being involved. I’d imagine they wish they hadn’t when they pull a Kyrgios match! At least the central umpires are well paid. Maybe they should impose 50m penalties for dissent.

EDIT: Looks like the lines umpires earn as much as £1500 per match at Wimbledon, according to Google. And probably there’s hazard pay In Kyrgios matches!

Reply #5
I think if he was disciplined enough to have had a decent coach when he was young and stuck with them and listened to them, he would have been a multiple grand slam winner by now. He seems to be maturing a little at 27 but it might be too late.
I have always enjoyed watching him play, I like the fact he is different. I don't don't like the brain explosions, that stems from a lack of mentoring I reckon.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #6
The media (and Aussie public) will turn on kyrgios the second he loses.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #7

100% (except me). I laugh at the Pat Cash comments on Kyrgios, the guy is a dead set red neck. I bloke I went to school with trained with the Davis cup squad back in the day, he was of Greek decent. He reckoned Cash was was a shocker.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #8
If and when it happens Kyrgios brought it on himself, every bit as much as Goodes, Tomic or Mundine.

The Australian public never forget someone being a knob.

Kyrgios is a wasted talent, I quite like watching him play, I don't get the hypocrisy from the media especially when it's someone like McEnroe lecturing about his behaviour. The media egg Kyrgios on and he obliges, but that is his stupidity showing through.

I thought is was disgraceful by the media when Tomljanovic was asked, by inference, if she had experiences of domestic violence during her relationship with Kyrgios. But that's the world as it stands, the media are just bloggers turned mercenary.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
Tennis players being petulant crapheads is not rare.

Pat Cash has a bloody hide saying crap about anyone, he was hardly a poster child of good behaviour. I remember Todd Woodbridge also being petulant, Lleyton got in strife a lot, Rafa cheats by time wasting, Djoker is a dickhead, Federer has shown petulance in the later years of his career, Tsitispas
As said previously has been unsportsmanlike on many occasion, and on and on.

Do I like the way Krygios behaves at times - absolutely not. But he does put on a show and I think behind the tennis brat facade is a good bloke - hearing him commentate at times, he was fantastic - much like Lleyton.

Pat Rafter was one out of the box, loved the way he played and behaved. But his type is rare.

So hope Krygios wins Wimbledon, would love it if he beat Djoker in the final actually 👏🏽

Reply #10
Several years ago I decided that I couldn't support Tomic or Kyrgios and wouldn't watch their matches.  Since then, Nick's behaviour has improved dramatically, albeit with the odd meltdown.  He also has to deal with a lot of crap from spectators, the media and some past players.

He may never win a popularity contest but I hope he wins a grand slam tournament or two before his time is up.  This Wimbeldon could be his opportunity and I hope he grabs it.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
Kyrgios is well spoken, well mannered off the court (for the most part) and does a lot of work with kids and charities.
Tomic I wouldn't piss on if he was on fire, dumb as a box of rocks and proof the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. If he couldn't hold a tennis racket he would have starved to death by now.
Nick is through the to the final thanks to a bit of good luck and I hope he wins it. Ill be up watching.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #12
If and when it happens Kyrgios brought it on himself, every bit as much as Goodes, Tomic or Mundine.

The Australian public never forget someone being a knob.

Kyrgios is a wasted talent, I quite like watching him play, I don't get the hypocrisy from the media especially when it's someone like McEnroe lecturing about his behaviour. The media egg Kyrgios on and he obliges, but that is his stupidity showing through.

I thought is was disgraceful by the media when Tomljanovic was asked, by inference, if she had experiences of domestic violence during her relationship with Kyrgios. But that's the world as it stands, the media are just bloggers turned mercenary.
The media a parasites and one of the lowest forms of life, their relentless pursuit of the kid has been shameful. As I have said before, they are like vultures on the side of the road waiting for the next bit of road kill. But vultures have ethics, journos on the other hand push the animal onto the road into the on coming  traffic to ensure they get their meal. And people just lap it up and join the pile on instead of celebrating and getting behind Aussie talent. Pathetic.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #13
So hope Krygios wins Wimbledon, would love it if he beat Djoker in the final actually 👏🏽
About 80% of the planet is hoping the same, the rest are COVID deniers!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
I'm going for Novak after we screwed him over.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!