Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 3844 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #15
We need to beat 1 more good side to have any credibility this season.

Can't agree.  We have pushed a lot of teams this season but have only been smashed today and last week and this looks more like an above the shoulders issue than anything else.

Even against the pies we almost got them in the end and that was after losing weitering in the first quarter.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
Beat Richmond and Bulldogs - lost to Collingwood by 4 points with Weitering going off in first quarter.

Reply #17
Think the last 6 weeks we have been average and teams have figured us out....dry up Saad so we dont have the rebound, and with Hewett and Kennedy out we have seen teams being able to tag our other mids and its obvious some players are copping more physical attention from the opposition and getting very hard tackles and treatment off the ball and our ace midfield which is our strength has been cut back to size and we are struggling.
The ruck situation also needs discussing and we need to go back to Pittonet as No 1 ruck just to get at least a break even result in the middle to help our mids. I think Krud suggested this last week or even before and it was shown up again today with TDK and Jack who have been brave but they look cooked vs the bigger bodied rucks and need a rest.
Gawn and Jackson then Cameron, Cox and Grundy is going to be a tough challenge without Pittonet playing......

Reply #18
Our last qtr seemed to have 2 major contributors - BrisVegas took their foot off the pedal, and we played with more freedom, risk and offensive flair.

Too many passengers, in particular bringing a 'safe', conservative attitude into the game (appeared so). When we played with risk, boldness and flair earlier in the season the boys responded.

However, same old same old, this group folds under expectation and challenging heat. Above the shoulders stuff. Not soft, just not courageous/disciplined (confident?) enough to back ourselves and each other.

We must embrace a courageous boldness against the Ds. And be backing ourselves to win, not minimize the opponent. We don't yet seem to think and act like winners.

As mentioned previously, I was concerned by the recent narrative from the club talking of being in an excellent position and having done so well this year. Too much reflection, not enough statements relating to seeking wins. Not enough explanation as to why our form since 8-2 has been mediocre. Not enough acknowledgement of p1ss poor performance against Crowmunchers... followed by explanation and strategy to ensure it never happens again.

Given up on 2022? No way. But gotta play without fear. Even a nothing to lose attitude.

Doubt we'll have Crippa for a week or two (dumb hit) and hopefully Kennedy can return. Dow and Setterfield cannot be relied upon... bit tired of saying that. They're just not hard enough. Kemp, Stocker and Hayes are all hard nuts who'll have a crack.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
The time for reflection on past good efforts is over. Time to focus bald boldness and smart aggression. Go after the Ds.

Reply #20
Stay the course - no reason for wholesale changes given everything thrown at the playing group.

We still have a great chance to play finals and I think we will. Bulldogs are chokers and don't be surprised if they drop the Hawks game in Tasmania. They are really our only threat to take our spot.

Hayes needs to come in and play midfield and possibly Stocker as well.

Reply #21
McInerney gave a masterclass in ruck work today and gave the Brisbane mids an armchair ride. Poor TDK was put to the sword.

Even in the unlikely event we ever get our top 22 on the field injury free, I don't see us being a threat to win the flag until we get a ruckman who can give our mids first use of the ball.

To me, Pittonet just doesn't have the ability to carry out that role and neither does TDK.

Reply #22
Agree...just junk time for me and the Lions just coasted until they had to kick a few late to put us out of our misery.

Yes agree. Not sure Voss would spend any time at all reviewing that last q. There's plenty in the first 3 to occupy his time. The boys have been off for a while. The last few weeks had me suspecting the ending to the season would not be great. I doubt the Dees or Pies will be fearing us too much at the moment.

Reply #23
After Weeters got hurt the injury dam broke.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #24
The Vossmeister was a little hoarse in the post match media interview. Did a bit of shouting?

Covers for the players somewhat... which you would expect. Like that. But he was clearly not impressed with the first 3 qtrs. There'll be some interesting chats/home truths behind closed doors but he doesn't strike me as the kind of bloke who would throw out the baby with the bathwater. Expect him to remain focussed and determined, now for his chargers to do the same. I reckon the blokes will show more, a lot more, next Saturday night. Looking forward to it.

Reply #25
A little surprising to hear a Carlton coach trying to shape the narrative around the Cripps incident to work in our favour.

Reply #26
Our top tier are very good and the foundations are their for this list but until we improve the bottom six that run out most weeks we will be a mid table team at best.

Seeing Dow finally get his chance today and then proceed to butcher the ball time and time again and the watch the opposition stroll past him within 5 metres of where he is standing and they kick an easy goal off his fking turnover!!!!

Like Setterfield both have had enough time and for whatever reason this is either as good as these blokes are going to get or it’s as good as we can get out of them at our club. Either way it’s time to cut out loses and move them on.

Martin is another one. How long do we allow him to take up a list spot. Pies got 3 decent players in the mid season draft that are contributing - we have to get smarter with the types we recruit and now we are closer then in a long time of finally being there in September we can’t waste any more time on blokes like this.

We don’t need any more big name recruits just 4-5 reliable hard working honest footballers to swap for blokes that we have seen all seen enough of.

Reply #27
The Vossmeister was a little hoarse in the post match media interview. Did a bit of shouting?

Covers for the players somewhat... which you would expect. Like that. But he was clearly not impressed with the first 3 qtrs. There'll be some interesting chats/home truths behind closed doors but he doesn't strike me as the kind of bloke who would throw out the baby with the bathwater. Expect him to remain focussed and determined, now for his chargers to do the same. I reckon the blokes will show more, a lot more, next Saturday night. Looking forward to it.
Also worth noting that Pittonet was sick early in the week which is why he was 'managed'.
Should be available for selection this week.

I wonder if there was some kind of bug going through the club this week....would explain the sub-par energy levels early on.

Reply #28
Our top tier are very good and the foundations are their for this list but until we improve the bottom six that run out most weeks we will be a mid table team at best.

Seeing Dow finally get his chance today and then proceed to butcher the ball time and time again and the watch the opposition stroll past him within 5 metres of where he is standing and they kick an easy goal off his fking turnover!!!!

Like Setterfield both have had enough time and for whatever reason this is either as good as these blokes are going to get or it’s as good as we can get out of them at our club. Either way it’s time to cut out loses and move them on.

Martin is another one. How long do we allow him to take up a list spot. Pies got 3 decent players in the mid season draft that are contributing - we have to get smarter with the types we recruit and now we are closer then in a long time of finally being there in September we can’t waste any more time on blokes like this.

We don’t need any more big name recruits just 4-5 reliable hard working honest footballers to swap for blokes that we have seen all seen enough of.

I called for Newnes in this week for that very reason.
Too many passengers of late. Just need someone who you know can be relied upon to put in, chase and tackle.....and kick the odd goal.

I've tooted his horn for a while now and i think we need a few others like him.
Ideally, they never have to play, but when injuries hit, you know what you'll get from him. On the other hand, you never know what you'll get from Martin, Dow, Setterfield etc in similar situations.

Reply #29
A little surprising to hear a Carlton coach trying to shape the narrative around the Cripps incident to work in our favour.
Well he has to because The Big House wants us out of the 8 so they will want him to get 2-3 wks.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time