Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 3988 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #45
Kept notes today on who turned ball over or fumbled and my pen nearly ran out.. Qtr 1 - Fisher, Owies, Cottrell, Setterfield, Newnes all missed goals or kicks - some resulting in goals. 2nd Q Dow, Owies set shot, Setterfield, Mackay from 50 passes to TDK who wasn't ready and punched - why wouldn't he kick the goal. 3rd Cripps set shot and pass to Walsh missed coast to coast Bris goal, Dow missed goal, Cerra, Silvagni dropped chest mark coast to coast. Game cooked
Point of all this for me - far too many c graders. Far too many who cant or wont improve foot skills. Cripps - love him but 50 50 by foot and has never improved in this area. Had to kick that goal to start 3rd and had to hit Walsh. They had finishers. For me foot skills was the key thing. We have for years been a confidence based team. Good kicking breeds confidence. Fisher kicks that goal first 20 sec confidence builds....didn't have another shot for ages after that.
Been mentioned but TDK in last 3 and a half minutes got monstered. Destroyed in the ruck and we couldn't touch it. And my goodness mr fitness role really needs to be assessed - for me time for a change there. Has not got results for me and we cut coaches so what's difference. If Martin is played again that's it I'll spew up. Cant survive a game. Why play him. Miss 8 will have ramifications given where we were...huge fail if happens

So much above the shoulders. Players just don't lose their skills, but they can lose confidence.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #46
Fair points but we couldnt miss a target or goal before the mid season break. Apart from the obvious injury tol, what's happened? Fatigue of a long season playing above ourselves maybe?
Re Martin 100% agree.

And this is the point, GTC. Spot on, Cocko.

How come such a change in attitude, approach, confidence since the bye? Tired? Unsure? Confused?

Can't blame injuries as we had plenty of those early in the year yet achieved 8-2.

As the year has progressed we've gotten progressively worse... in total contradiction to what we were told early in the year. Weight of expectation? Fear of success? Too many non-hackers (blokes who won't put their bodies in, back themselves/team mates)?

Reply #47
And this is the point, GTC. Spot on, Cocko.

How come such a change in attitude, approach, confidence since the bye? Tired? Unsure? Confused?

Can't blame injuries as we had plenty of those early in the year yet achieved 8-2.

As the year has progressed we've gotten progressively worse... in total contradiction to what we were told early in the year. Weight of expectation? Fear of success? Too many non-hackers (blokes who won't put their bodies in, back themselves/team mates)?

The thing with the injuries is that they have a cumulative effect.
Players are asked to lift to cover them, and they can do it for a while, but as the season drags on that becomes harder and takes it's toll.
We have a few players who desperatley need 'managing' (either on or off field) but as we accumulate more injuries we don't have that luxury.
We also assume that as injured players return they'll slot striaght back in as good as they were when they left.
The majority just don't.

Reply #48
Players are asked to lift to cover them, and they can do it for a while, but as the season drags on that becomes harder and takes it's toll.
We have a few players who desperatley need 'managing' (either on or off field) but as we accumulate more injuries we don't have that luxury.
We also assume that as injured players return they'll slot striaght back in as good as they were when they left.
The majority just don't.

Fair post Lods. I'm also wondering if this is a year of learning, not just for the players, but for Voss as well. If you listen to his pressers regularly, his focus on contest is beyond any coach I've ever heard. The whole "contest" thing is ubiquitous among coaches, almost to the point that it justifies its own meme. But with Voss it seems at a whole other level. I'm just speculating, but I wonder if he has no Plan B (another footy cliche) and that his belief that you will struggle if you don't win the contest (or break even) seems to be rubbing off on the players ? Our transition game from D50 is not great, and it's been noted so often that it will lose the contest we look pretty ordinary. Just some random musings on my part.

Reply #49
David King highlighted the Blues are 10-1 this year when they’ve won the clearance count by at least +5 but 3-6 when that count has been +4 or less.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #50
David King highlighted the Blues are 10-1 this year when they’ve won the clearance count by at least +5 but 3-6 when that count has been +4 or less.

He's right over the past fortnight our midfield has been substantially weaker and Walsh trying to do too much and too demanding - not his fault just doesn't trust the players with him in the midfield past couple of weeks. Even looked weak in the midfield when Cerra was missing against Richmond round 14 and when he returned round 16 against the Saints he was short of match fitness - lost both games. Missing both Hewett and Kennedy in the midfield is hurting the team structurally in their clearance work. Need to build depth in this area.

Reply #51
The majority just don't.

Pretty sure that is a strong part of the issue, but you see even regulars who've been relatively injury free also lose their way, their focus. Likely not an either/or scenario but a combination of accumulative injuries, head space, continuity, adapting to change... all feeding each other.

With so much change, and increased expectation and greater demands, the deeper issues are also exposed.

Philosophically, and looking at it in a broader sense, I believe Pauly is absolutely correct in seeing this as the year Vossy and the new coaches learn about the list, themselves and cultural issues.

Reply #52

Either the article was a misprint or King got the numbers wrong as we don't have 13 wins .
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #53
Voss is acutely aware of the problem. I've heard him in interviews say that they can't win the contest all the time (and sometimes not able to break even) and that they need to find some other levers to pull. Here's hoping they find them soon.

Reply #54
Fair points but we couldnt miss a target or goal before the mid season break. Apart from the obvious injury tol, what's happened? Fatigue of a long season playing above ourselves maybe?
Re Martin 100% agree.

It's not physically possible to play above yourself so not that. I'm thinking the long season is catching up. We had a very taxing style of play, which will take a couple of years before we a fit enough to carry it though. It's a good September style of play but takes a couple of seasons. We were brutal at the contest in the first half of the year but can't keep up now. We are on our way but it takes time.

Reply #55
About a year or so back we failed to stand by Plowman, after a heavy but fair collision between himself and some other spud who stacked on the contact. Plowman was penalised in a manner that was seen as unjust by all but a very limited few.

A few weeks back, we had the opportunity to stand by Hayes for what was a genuine contest and an unfortunately outcome contributed to by his opponent, we didn't and he was penalised.

From what is being rumoured I suspect Cripps is going on holiday now until 2023, probably a good thing for us, 2022 is a loss anyway given no Vic club is likely to win an interstate final.

If Cripps is suspended it is no use Carlton or it's fans complaining, in fact doing any complaining will probably just show up our own hypocrisy and double faced standards.

We are either a team, or we aren't, changing our ways now seems rather arbitrary!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
Hayes and Plowman were absolutely shafted.

Cripps deserves 2 weeks.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #57
Hayes and Plowman were absolutely shafted.

Cripps deserves 2 weeks.
Given the penalties handed out to Plowman and Hayes, you think Cripps is going to get the same or less! :o

I'm surprised Dangflog hasn't asked for Cripps to be deregistered!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
Time to cut Jack Martin loose.....a handful of moments each match if you're lucky....then out injured again, usually with a calf, for 2-3 weeks. Took the big money payday in the first season so we could walk him through to the PSD but he's been a waste of time and money. A big bodied goal kicking midfielder would be handy in the trade period......De Goey anyone?

Reply #59
I still think Cripps will be fine -if it wasn't in the air and was on the ground and two players competing for ground ball and one player got hit high and concussed how many times do we see players leaving the ground with cut faces, anyway nothing happens as it is in the contest ? If it was in the contest you expect players to go in hard - it was definitely not intentional just a hard at it contest and should be thrown out - it wasn't even an intentional nor careless bump he didnt go for a bump he went for the spoil and went in hard.