Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 7539 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #60
FB Saad Weitering Stocker
HB McGovern Young Marchbank
C O'Brien Docherty Cottrell
HF Silvagni Curnow Fisher
FF Motlop McKay De Koning
R Pittonet Walsh Cerra
Int Owies Martin Durdin Carrol
Med Sub Newnes

Out Dow  Cripps Setterfield

Think this side might still be top heavy, we need speed and spread to stand any chance, one of TDK or PIT may miss. Maybe we play SOS as a mid to run with Oliver.
In Stocker Pittonet Carrol
One ruck vs Gawn and Jackson? I wouldnt do it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #61
One ruck vs Gawn and Jackson? I wouldnt do it.
Jackson will even be a handful for us when he is floating forward, he the ultra-aggressive attack on the ball type we traditionally do not do well against.

Will be a busy day for McGovern and Marchbank.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
we need to change our game style/plan ,.we cannot have melb to intercept marks across HFF (cats game vossy) and mids just read melb rucks . start

Reply #63
We have two options this week.

1.  Try and stop Melbourne and beat them in match ups.  I just dont see it this week.  We dont seem to have the right types of cattle to beat Clayton Oliver, Petracca, Neal Bullen, Harmes and co at the coalface.  They are bigger, and harder than anything we have available. 

So rather than try and beat them at that game which is likely to end up in Marc Murphy getting clobbered at the coalface part two, I suggest we do the following:

2.  Weather permitting we go tall.  Its hard to tell so far this week, but as much as I rate the running power of LOB, Newnes, and Cotters, we need to really expose them for size and skill because we arent going to beat them with hardness, and Langdon is another level of running power that our guys cant hope for.

So, with that in mind, we should be looking to play much taller and try and put some genuine talls that can move on the wings.  That means getting Charlie and Marchbank on a wing each.  Get TDK down to full forward, and bring Mckay to CHF.  JSOS and Pittonet to do the ruckwork in a tandem as they are better value in a losing ruck than TDK is who is either winning or losing in the ruck laterly and get him in the ruck for the odd occasion.  This should be the sort of chaos move that will make life a bit tricky for Lever and May to work out and hopefully give us a chance to score some goals before they work their way through it.

This week Motlop is the one we cant carry.  I would be taking him out, because as much as I love the kid, he is a cameo player and we are going to need relentless pressure in the forwardline and getting to the ball drop.  That means Cotters, Owies Durdin and Fisher to complement the other forwards. 

As much as we like to pay out on our defense for being unaccountable, with glacial wingers set to expose the lack of height, this week I would be deploying Saad and Docherty in offensive options.  Ignore chopping your teamates out.  Drift forward and give us some flare to make life difficult on the rebound.  Get the likes of Stocker and Plowman in with the sole instruction to pound kosi and fritsch at every contest as these two will give us the most headaches of the Melbourne forwardline. 

They will eventually figure out we are going with a chaotic game plan, and thats when we can switch to more conventional roles for our players, but hopefully by then a bit of a lead and some belief will build in our boys.  Without the big bodies in the middle, we might elect to counter punch off half back rather than try and win it at the coal face. 

Go Blues.  Bring the right mix of chaos and Melbourne wont know what to do about us.

FB Plowman Weitering Stocker
HB Docherty Young Saad
C C.Curnow Cerra Marchbank
HF Owies Mckay Fisher
FF Durdin Dekoning Cotterel
R Pittonet Walsh JSOS
Int McGovern Dow Setterfield Newnes
Med Sub O'Brien

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #64
One of the only a couple of good things to come out of the Cripps suspension is simply this.

AFL clubs plan match day tactics to the Nth degree, they observe, diagnose, deconstruct and debate team tactics endlessly. This week the Dees won't know what we are likely to do, we have gone from a known known to a known unknown.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
One of the only a couple of good things to come out of the Cripps suspension is simply this.

AFL clubs plan match day tactics to the Nth degree, they observe, diagnose, deconstruct and debate team tactics endlessly. This week the Dees won't know what we are likely to do, we have gone from a known known to a known unknown.

No Couch, no Bairstow, no Hocking! We can't lose.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #66
Who are the big brutish forwards that Melbourne have, that require Weitering and Young??  I'd go with Weitering, Marchbank, McGovern as the talls with Docherty, Saad, Plowman (yes Plowman) and Stocker as the 7 backs and then have De Koning drop back on Gawn when he moves forward like we did in the practice match to good effect. 

Reply #67
Going to be won or lost in the contest and unfortunately for us our three best contested ball players will be missing. We are going to get beaten up in the contest the only thing we can hope for are counter attacks from the half back and crisp ball movement to forward half. Can not afford skill errors and turn the ball over.

Reply #68
Going to be won or lost in the contest and unfortunately for us our three best contested ball players will be missing. We are going to get beaten up in the contest the only thing we can hope for are counter attacks from the half back and crisp ball movement to forward half. Can not afford skill errors and turn the ball over.
Need Doc in the centre to lead the way. No one more inspiring in our team the Doc, a few mighty, courageous acts and the rest will walk through brick walls. Season is on the line and running out of chances.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #69
We have two options this week.

1.  Try and stop Melbourne and beat them in match ups.  I just dont see it this week.  We dont seem to have the right types of cattle to beat Clayton Oliver, Petracca, Neal Bullen, Harmes and co at the coalface.  They are bigger, and harder than anything we have available. 

We have the reigning Coleman medalist and another one currently leading.
How do Melbourne stop that?

Dees are bigger than us, and you want to go taller?
IMO, we go faster.

Oliver and Petracca are not going to chase too many players down, so we play through their men.
Put Fisher in the guts.
If Martin is fit, use him through there.
Play Carroll.
Free up Saad and let him play on a wing. RUN RUN RUN.

Do that, and they won't be able to setup behind the ball and we'll allow our assets in McKay and Curnow 1 on 1 opportunities, and they won't be stopped.

Yes, going small/fast means that we will lose the clearances, but Dees don't have a good forward line, and we have a good defence, so back ourselves in to stop their entries, and hurt them on the rebound with speed and run.

Motlop, Durdin, Owies, Lob, Walsh, Cottrell, Carroll, Martin.....run run run.

If we wanna be a finals team, we lay down for no team. We make them beat us.

Reply #70
I wouldn't trust Martin to run longer than 10 minutes before breaking down.   He's lost any trust and I wouldn't be picking him this week.  
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #71
We have the reigning Coleman medalist and another one currently leading.
How do Melbourne stop that?

Dees are bigger than us, and you want to go taller?
IMO, we go faster.

Oliver and Petracca are not going to chase too many players down, so we play through their men.
Put Fisher in the guts.
If Martin is fit, use him through there.
Play Carroll.
Free up Saad and let him play on a wing. RUN RUN RUN.

Do that, and they won't be able to setup behind the ball and we'll allow our assets in McKay and Curnow 1 on 1 opportunities, and they won't be stopped.

Yes, going small/fast means that we will lose the clearances, but Dees don't have a good forward line, and we have a good defence, so back ourselves in to stop their entries, and hurt them on the rebound with speed and run.

Motlop, Durdin, Owies, Lob, Walsh, Cottrell, Carroll, Martin.....run run run.

If we wanna be a finals team, we lay down for no team. We make them beat us.
we aren't a quick side though.  Their run is a strength.  Langdon, Salem, hunt are all very fast and hard runners. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #72
Taking into account form, injuries, what's at stake etc., beating the Demons will be the upset of the year IMO.

Reply #73
Given Martin's long history of calf issues, the fact he came off last week with "calf tightness" makes him an incredible risk to get through a game...leave him out IMO.

Melbourne don't have a dominant key forward but rely on goals from the likes of Fritsch, Pickett, Harmes and the like. Fritsch is the worry as I can't see an ideal match up for him.

I think Charlie and Harry can more than match it with May/Lever and probably outmark them....issue will be getting it in the middle to begin with, then finding someone who can use it quick enough and well enough to get it down there.

Reply #74
Who are the big brutish forwards that Melbourne have, that require Weitering and Young??  I'd go with Weitering, Marchbank, McGovern as the talls with Docherty, Saad, Plowman (yes Plowman) and Stocker as the 7 backs and then have De Koning drop back on Gawn when he moves forward like we did in the practice match to good effect. 
Reckon it will be players like Fritsch, Pickett and Petracca that will worry us forward more than the talls.....the former is the type of player we struggle to contain given he is a good mark for his size and evasive/smart on the ground plus a good kick for goal.
Given we are light on in the middle I expect Petracca forward a bit more in that Dusty Martin type role...