Skip to main content
Topic: Ajla Tomljanović vs America (Read 8730 times) previous topic - next topic

Ajla Tomljanović vs America

Well, if you have ever seen a one sided supporter base, crowd, commentators, et al., it was the Ajla Tomljanović game versus Serena.

Time stops for nobody, great career from Serena.

Great win by Ajla Tomljanovic, giant slayer.
The Force Awakens!

Re: Ajla Tomljanović vs America

Reply #1
Can't believe they call Serena the GOAT.  Margaret court has her covered.  This woke bullcrap can't erase peoples names on trophies.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
Leaving aside the well known difficulties of comparing players / teams from different eras, I don't think the "woke crowd" has any interest in erasing names on trophies. Court gets criticized because she's a homophobic cow, with a selective and poorly contextualized reading of the Bible.

Reply #3
Leaving aside the well known difficulties of comparing players / teams from different eras, I don't think the "woke crowd" has any interest in erasing names on trophies. Court gets criticized because she's a homophobic cow, with a selective and poorly contextualized reading of the Bible.

Couldn't care less.

The scoreboard says court 24 grand slams, Williams 23.

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
She won 13 of her Grand Slam titles prior to the Open Era. Serena won all hers in the Open Era when prize money ensured all slams were hotly contested.

The other knock on Court is that she won 11 out of her 24 titles in Australia and 8 of those were contested only by amateurs. The distance and cost of travel thinned out the competition. Now, we are used to all the top players coming to the Aus Open as it offers the biggest prize pool but the Aus Open was the poor relation of the other slams until it moved away from Kooyong. There was even a time when serious consideration was being given to stripping the Aus Open of its Grand Slam status and giving it to the Italian Open.

I have no doubt Serena should be seen as the GOAT.

Reply #5
Comparing sportspeople from different eras is always a little subjective. Schumacher v Senna, Schumacher v Hamilton, never easy and there is always a bias. Strictly speaking, by definition of Grand Slams, Court has 24 Serena 23 so from that perspective only, technically Court is the GOAT even if she is seen as a crap person.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
Couldn't care less.

Tend to agree.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #7
Couldn't care less.

The point I was making is that your invocation of "woke bullcrap" as the reason why some may choose Williams as the GOAT is questionable IMO.

Reply #8
Does this mean some folks think Carlton aren't the GOAT :(

Reply #9
The point I was making is that your invocation of "woke bullcrap" as the reason why some may choose Williams as the GOAT is questionable IMO.

why else would they dismissive the proverbial score on the board when it doesnt apply to other teams such as Carlton, Liverpool, Essendon, Collingwood.

The definition justifying Serena as GOAT should see Hawthorn lauded as the AFLs GOAT.

Paul Hewson

Reply #10
She won 13 of her Grand Slam titles prior to the Open Era. Serena won all hers in the Open Era when prize money ensured all slams were hotly contested.

The other knock on Court is that she won 11 out of her 24 titles in Australia and 8 of those were contested only by amateurs. The distance and cost of travel thinned out the competition. Now, we are used to all the top players coming to the Aus Open as it offers the biggest prize pool but the Aus Open was the poor relation of the other slams until it moved away from Kooyong. There was even a time when serious consideration was being given to stripping the Aus Open of its Grand Slam status and giving it to the Italian Open.

I have no doubt Serena should be seen as the GOAT.

Exactly. And why comparing two great tennis players from different eras for the title of GOAT is actually meaningless.

And on the other point... Court tarnished her reputation with her repugnant views on human sexuality and marriage partner choice(s). Attempting to legitimize her comments re Fundamentalist Biblical quotes is just lazy, ignorant and tiresome.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #11
Exactly. And why comparing two great tennis players from different eras for the title of GOAT is actually meaningless.

And on the other point... Court tarnished her reputation with her repugnant views on human sexuality and marriage partner choice(s). Attempting to legitimize her comments re Fundamentalist Biblical quotes is just lazy, ignorant and tiresome.
Im able to separate ones sporting achievements from humanitarian/morality standpoints. Maybe Ive got a bit of "serial killer" in me. :D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #12
Im able to separate ones sporting achievements from humanitarian/morality standpoints. Maybe Ive got a bit of "serial killer" in me. :D

I've just made a post on this theme in the 'General Discussion' thread but extended it to achievements in other fields as well (specifically music.) 

Reply #13
why else would they dismissive the proverbial score on the board when it doesnt apply to other teams such as Carlton, Liverpool, Essendon, Collingwood.

The definition justifying Serena as GOAT should see Hawthorn lauded as the AFLs GOAT.

I don't understand your point.

Reply #14
Margaret court has achieved things no one else has and did it in an era that contained greats such as evonne goolagong,  Billie jean king, and Martina Navratilova.  She held the title of all 4 grand slams in one calender year twice during her career.

I cannot fathom why we are devaluing her sporting achievements because she won 11 Aussie opens with qualifying statements.  

She played in an era with her peers, and achieved a lot against them.  Why the push to requalify what a GOAT is?

Paul Hewson