Skip to main content
Topic: RIP Queen Elizabeth II (Read 5569 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Reply #30
The AFLW seems to have forgotten that Indigenous Round is just a hollow PR stunt. They’re treating it like it actually stands for something.

Reply #31
The AFLW seems to have forgotten that Indigenous Round is just a hollow PR stunt. They’re treating it like it actually stands for something.
Why can't IR and a Tribute to QE2 Coxeist?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
Terra Nullius.

Reply #33
Terra Nullius.
So we should all pack up and screw off?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #34
So now the AFLW won't acknowledge the passing of a the Queen with a minutes silence in the remaining games because its Indigenous round. One and Free huh? (as long was you aren't a rednec,  male,  or part of the monarchy). And the AFLW players wonder why there is SFA interest in their game. Lack of leadership by the AFL here I reckon.

Agree that's poor form from the AFLW, the test match between England and South Africa was suspended for a whole day in memory of the Queen and we can't do a minute?I'm not a monarchist but a bit of respect is ok by me...

Reply #35
Perhaps we shouldn’t expect indigenous Australians to allow the round that recognises their culture to be repurposed as the QEII round.

At least the AFLW is able to avoid Indigenous Round coinciding with Australia Day celebrations. Perhaps they’re missing a trick there. Imagine how colourful it would be if an actor dressed as Captain Arthur Phillip and some others dressed as troopers stood behind the Welcome to Country. What a wonderful way to recognise our history and let’s not forget that the red uniforms would certainly add a lot of colour.

Reply #36
This decision seems asymmetrical, can you imagine the kerfuffle if the MCC or AFL ban welcome to country on the Queens Birthday round?

What if we banned Queen's Birthday round because AFL is the men's competition?

I think it exposes how disingenuous the debate has become. There would be many on both sides of this debate who are disappointed.

At best it's disrespectful, at worst it's hypocritical.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Perhaps we shouldn’t expect indigenous Australians to allow the round that recognises their culture to be repurposed as the QEII round.

At least the AFLW is able to avoid Indigenous Round coinciding with Australia Day celebrations. Perhaps they’re missing a trick there. Imagine how colourful it would be if an actor dressed as Captain Arthur Phillip and some others dressed as troopers stood behind the Welcome to Country. What a wonderful way to recognise our history and let’s not forget that the red uniforms would certainly add a lot of colour.
Cant understand why the AFLW didnt think of all that, you should pass the ideas on. QE2 would be have loved to have seen it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #38
You should be happy the AFLW made that decision. I’m sure it wasn’t a case of indigenous players and spectators just stating a weak preference but otherwise standing ready to back a decision to honour QEII to the hilt. The AFLW was obviously told there would be considerable blowback if it went down that path.

Holding a minute’s silence requires everybody to be on board. Imagine if the crowd had been largely compliant but activists played Beds are Burning, Treaty or the Sex Pistol’s God Save the Queen via portable speakers. They wouldn’t have needed concert-style speakers to thoroughly disrupt the silence.

What about if the players took a knee during, or turned their backs on, the show of respect? What about if they broke ranks and talked amongst themselves? Unlike the NFL where right-wing billionaire owners were able to boycott players who took a knee, the AFLW had no direct means to punish indigenous players and even less ability to discipline the crowd. Maybe they could have installed snipers on top of the stands with instructions to shoot anybody showing disrespect but that might have been controversial.

Such actual signs of disrespect would have caused far more controversy than merely deciding not to have a minute’s silence. Of course, FoxFooty and Ch 7 could have run packages before each game. But maybe they also thought this wouldn’t win them too many friends.

Just recognise that this decision was politically and commercially the most sensible one. It’s just bad luck for Liz that she died during Indigenous Round.

Reply #39
We keep being lectured by people telling us to respect other cultures, ................... but it seems the request isn't a statement of symmetry.

I'm not really a monarchist, but I respect those who are, just as I tolerate and respect and accept the welcome to country, the haka, and halal food services, but I suppose I'm motivated by unity and inclusion and not division.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
So we should all pack up and screw off?

pretty much.

Ive stated on here many times.  They aren't interested in a united australia they want their lost future back.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #41
Ive stated on here many times.  They aren't interested in a united australia they want their lost future back.
I think there are extremists on both sides, and to some degree they get more attention because they are almost always the ones making the most noise.

It's possibly the fault of the moderates on both sides of the debate for not speaking up and reigning them in!

So I partly agree with your observation, but it is symmetrical, it applies equally both ways to a small but very noisy minority.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
If there was a cricket test match being played in Australia, there would have been a minutes silence as a bare minimum.
The monarchy may not be the future but if you really believe in being inclusive then you have to respect the past and a lot of Anzacs gave their lives for Queen and country and it's disrespecting them imho.
Feck the commercial and political aspects and just do the right thing imho.Give her a minute and then move on.
If a fractured country like South Africa can give her a day then we can give her a minute.

Reply #43
If a fractured country like South Africa can give her a day then we can give her a minute.
Yes, it's a good example, there are those who wish to drive a wedge at any cost, we should not let them.

It reminds me a bit of the take a knee stuff, some tried to paint those who didn't as racist, yet it was clear in many examples the message was united despite the variety of responses, and the reasons far or against were far more complex than those who want to divide like to make out.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
Juxtaposing opposing cultures doesn’t foster unity. Perhaps we should require Pride events to include representation for religious fundamentalists to state their opposition to the sinful behaviour of that community. Maybe BLM protesters should be forced to march side-by-side with white supremacists. After all, what a wonderful message of unity that would send.

Expecting indigenous Australians to share their Round with the head of the empire that colonised their lands is bizarre. It does nothing to unify the country. It equates to putting the onus on indigenous Australians to “forgeddabouddit”.

Anyway, the AFL can hold a minute’s silence at the 2 AFL preliminary finals. Not doing it before AFLW games is not a sign of disrespect: it’s the best way to prevent signs of disrespect.