Skip to main content
Topic: Russian Ukraine War (Read 14240 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Russian Ukraine War

Reply #60
You are not wrong DJC. 

Id probably grow my own veggies, then offer some up in a trade, along with an offer of a BBQ at my place or bringing some drinks over and having a chill at theirs.

It’s bad luck Putin doesn’t have a similar mindset!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #61
Some people I know are taking the threat very seriously and have actually stocked up on Iodine tablets. Amazing! Well to me it is.
People we know from Krasnodar have left and gone on a long holiday to Turkey.....they are conscripting men outside the ages specified and with no military training. The news theme is Ukraine attacking Russia supported by their Western Nato Allies and the population are fed that dribble and a lot are oblivious to the truth and believe the propaganda.

Reply #62
People we know from Krasnodar have left and gone on a long holiday to Turkey.....they are conscripting men outside the ages specified and with no military training. The news theme is Ukraine attacking Russia supported by their Western Nato Allies and the population are fed that dribble and a lot are oblivious to the truth and believe the propaganda.

Yep, from what I've heard the Ukrainian military casualties are horrendous. Unfortunately no let up yet in sight - tragic.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #63
If you take a moment to stop and truly imagine about what life would like being fed lies, its almost unbelievable and yet...

Its 2022 and to think that some of the largest nations on the planet live in the "dark".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #64
The problem is in war you very rarely get the truth from either side, be it our own or the opposition!

If our man Elon Musk had the balls, he could open up something like Starlink making it impossible for anyone like Putin to control the web, but it's a closed system requiring Starlink hardware and encryption. That highlights another problem, it may be that "our side" do not want something like the Starlink genie out of the bottle either! ;)

For example I understand China has already threatened to jam / destroy his satellites if they transmit in Zhongguo, and also place trading constraints in place affecting Tesla.

The very thing that the public perceive as giving ultimate freedom, extreme wealth, is actually making Musk a prisoner to various regimes. You can bet Putin is up to his eyeballs in some of this, and also leveraging influence over the likes of Murdoch and others with influence and power.

In the meantime, Australia keeps on selling off infrastructure and large scale rights to China, Singapore(China), Hancock (USA and China!), Saudi Arabia, etc., etc..
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
If you take a moment to stop and truly imagine about what life would like being fed lies, its almost unbelievable and yet...

Its 2022 and to think that some of the largest nations on the planet live in the "dark".
The young dont believe the propaganda and dont want to fight especially on foreign soil but when you can convince the rest that its Russia under threat and invasion is imminent you can draw on National Pride to bring the nation together and thats what Putin would love to do. He would love to taunt Ukrainian or Nato troops to enter Russian borders to justify his actions and call on his people to defend their country and be the new Stalin and a war hero.
Hopefully the West can dampen Zelensky"s urge for revenge and let Putin perish as a failed aggressor...

Reply #66
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/russia-says-it-is-extremely-concerned-by-ukrainian-missile-downed-over-belarus/ar-AA15O4wj?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=e1f091fa379b4b36866c3157f1f7fb2a

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The Kremlin said on Friday it was extremely concerned about a Ukrainian anti-aircraft missile that was shot down after flying into the air space of its close ally Belarus on Thursday.

Well here's a tip.
If you're so bloody concerned, stop firing your own missiles into Ukraine. Then they won't need to use their anti-aircaft missiles.

Whatever you might think of the rights or wrongs of the situation, missiles that target the infrastructure that allows folks to keep warm in a freezing winter and disrupts essentials like water supply is appalling.

Reply #67
Total war Lods, just like 39-45. All citizens and any location is a target.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #68
I suppose that is Russia trying cause ethnic tensions between Ukraine and it's neighbours.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
I suppose that is Russia trying cause ethnic tensions between Ukraine and it's neighbours.
Belarus is a puppet state of Russia, Lukashenko is a lap dog of Putin and if I was Ukraine I'd be happy to send a few missiles in the Belarus direction.
Largest drinking culture I have seen in Belarus, they all love Russian post war culture and their grandma's could drink the boys in bay13 under the table. Every village seems to have it's own brewery and most of their offerings are horrendous...

Reply #70
Propaganda in Russia is a strong weapon and because it is so successful in Russia,  not all youth are against Putin and the war. It is true the biggest group of detractors are the young, but there are plenty of young who support it as well. Even some very educated Russians I know truly believe (for example) that Poland owes Russia/USSR a debt of gratitude for World War II, which of course is insane. They think this, because they are told from the time they are in school that this is the case and that Poles are russophobes for having any ill feeling or mistrust towards Moscow.

The older generation (even 30+) strongly believe what they watch on tv and those in the 35-50 year age bracket in particular would be some of the most vociferous in their support of Putin and everything Russia 1 news tells them. This is because they genuinely believe that Russia would have disintegrated after the mayhem of the 90s if Putin didn't take over. Of course this ignores the fact that Putin was absolutely criminal in his dealings when working in St Petersburg post communism and strongly contributed to the troubles everyday Russians experienced. They only look at the 1991-1999 period as a horror period that improved once Putin took the helm.

So you see that progression, then everyday for 21 years there has been a tightening on what is reported as Putin builds a cult of personality culture. The internet is almost irrelevant for most Russians, even a large percentage of those that do not believe what is on the tv, still believe the internet if full of western lies aimed to tear the superpower Russia down.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #71
Belarus is a puppet state of Russia, Lukashenko is a lap dog of Putin

As was Ukraine with Yanukovych in control. Unfortunately Ukraine/Belarus and Russia are/were all plutocracies with full blown corruption to a level that is almost impossible to fathom. The powers in Moscow would have been receiving huge kickbacks from the corruption in Kiev and there is little doubt in my mind that is one of the biggest reasons (as well as Putin's desire to build his legacy) for this invasion, as well as the invasion of Crimea and the Luhansk and Donetsk regions in 2014 after the revolution. The revolution would have cost Moscow billions.

Russia would love to either take all of Ukraine back or install another puppet government back in control to keep their coffers kicking over.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #72
As was Ukraine with Yanukovych in control. Unfortunately Ukraine/Belarus and Russia are/were all plutocracies with full blown corruption to a level that is almost impossible to fathom. The powers in Moscow would have been receiving huge kickbacks from the corruption in Kiev and there is little doubt in my mind that is one of the biggest reasons (as well as Putin's desire to build his legacy) for this invasion, as well as the invasion of Crimea and the Luhansk and Donetsk regions in 2014 after the revolution. The revolution would have cost Moscow billions.

Russia would love to either take all of Ukraine back or install another puppet government back in control to keep their coffers kicking over.
Ukraine are big into exporting Agriculture products, they are a major supplier in the world for a few products in some cases and its worth a lot of money.
Putin though wants more than that and he wants to be a war hero like Stalin or a big name winner like Brezhnev who presided over Cold war Russia which is an era Putin admired. Ukraine has the export resources appeal for the money but also had the advantage of being a non NATO country which made it appear a safer easier target on paper.

Reply #73
Ukraine are big into exporting Agriculture products, they are a major supplier in the world for a few products in some cases and its worth a lot of money.
Putin though wants more than that and he wants to be a war hero like Stalin or a big name winner like Brezhnev who presided over Cold war Russia which is an era Putin admired. Ukraine has the export resources appeal for the money but also had the advantage of being a non NATO country which made it appear a safer easier target on paper.

I agree that there is a legacy part to this invasion and it is a significant part. Russia's greatest ever hero is Peter the Great, Putin references his often and he is universally admired within Russia. There is absolutely no doubt at all that his aim is to be seen in the same light as Peter. Though it would be interesting if he was ever given the title of "great" as Russia already has a Vladimir the Great. It is important though to not discount the money element as it is also extremely significant, whilst average Russians, Ukrainians and Belorussians live poorly, the elite live incredible lives and their wealth is absolutely staggering, there are kickbacks at every single level of government and this needs to be paid for, so money they were bringing in from Ukraine was extremely significant in my opinion
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #74
If there is one thing I've learned over the years its dont believe everything you read online.  Its pretty hard to blame anyone for believing the internet is full of lies.  During the pandemic alone if you read everything with healthy skepticism, chances are you listened to what you heard on television as priority and that was better information.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson