Skip to main content
Topic: Sport, sponsors, activism and politics (Read 6788 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sport, sponsors, activism and politics

Reply #31
This arvo, today ?
Nah, pretty hard to justify, we are all aware that it’s frowned upon by brown people, but is it intrinsically racist, no.
Can it be racist, yes.

Is you putting Viking horns on your head being racist to Scandinavians ?
It could be depending on the context, is it poor taste ? Possibly could be…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #32
Growing up Al Jolson was one of my dad's favourites.
He's still one of mine.
No apologies for that.
I have half a dozen Jolson 78s and a couple of LP's
I remember watching and enjoying the 'Black and White minstrel  show".

It was a different time.
It's a complex situation and not all African American folks at the time felt the same level of discomfort and offence as most do today.

https://jolson.org/man/racism/blackface.html

We've moved on to a point where it is unacceptable.
But we lose a bit in the process if we condemn the talent of the past.

Reply #33
And who are the judges of that? What are the guidelines for making such judgements? Is there ok blacking up  and not ok blacking up? Can Magda black up but not Sam Newman? I personally think all blacking up is just cheap and tacky.

Absolutely!

The difference is that Sammy Newman refused to acknowledge that his blackface was in any way wrong and offensive to people of colour generally and Nicky Winmar in particular, and he still won’t accept that he did anything wrong.  Eddie McGuire was still defending Sam’s blackface as recently as 2020.

Magda’s blackface performance was no less offensive than Sam’s.  The difference is that Magda acknowledges that what she did was wrong and hurtful to Indigenous Australians.  She has apologised and sought advice from Indigenous Australians about how to make amends.  Her willingness to explore how to use her gaff to make things better is admirable.

That’s quite a contrast with the attitude of the owner of Lang Prospecting who can’t bring herself to say whether she agrees with the genocidal beliefs of the previous owner of the company.

Of course, the real bonus out of the Magda blackface controversy resurfacing yet again is that a new audience gets to appreciate the Gina Minehart skits; comedy gold and yet another example of life imitating art.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
Magda apologised for herself being racist not her parents.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #35
And who are the judges of that? What are the guidelines for making such judgements? Is there ok blacking up  and not ok blacking up? Can Magda black up but not Sam Newman? I personally think all blacking up is just cheap and tacky.
I also thought of the furore when Sam Newman did it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #36
I disagree, “blackface” can be racist, absolutely it can and has been.
But is it always 100% ? Absolutely not, is it poor taste ? Sure…

But let’s contrast Magda’s comments with our old friend Gina’s… 🦗🦗
When did Gina blackface? Did I miss something?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #37

Why do you have such an obsession with apologies MBB?

The issue is whether the current owner of Hancock Prospecting has the same views on the genocide of Aboriginal people as the previous owner had.  It’s a fairly simple question that should have been answered when Gina inherited the company.

Trying to draw attention away from Rinehart’s inability to answer a simple question by dragging up one critic’s past indiscretions is a classic and pathetic “look over there” tactic.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
When did Gina blackface? Did I miss something?

Yes, you missed Magda’s contrite apology and willingness to learn from her past mistake.

Blackface is completely unacceptable but it’s nothing compared with Gina’s failure to reject genocide.

Reply #39
Yes, you missed Magda’s contrite apology and willingness to learn from her past mistake.

Blackface is completely unacceptable but it’s nothing compared with Gina’s failure to reject genocide.
Did she apologise of her own volition or when it was pointed out to her that she is a racist?
Also, difference is Magda did something abhorrent, Gina hasn't.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #40
Did she apologise of her own volition or when it was pointed out to her that she is a racist?
Also, difference is Magda did something abhorrent, Gina hasn't.

To suggest that Magda is a racist based on a comedy sketch she did many, many years ago is an overreach. Her tasteless sketch was part of a comedy routine... which is disgusting based on today's moralities and sensitivities, but, embarrassingly, it was a part of the comedy landscape way back then. It was an entertainment performance, with the audience knowing just that - it was pretend. Since that time Magda has more than atoned, with apology and willingness to learn and change. On top of that she has committed much of her time to humanitarian/philanthropic causes - more than ample evidence of her sincerity.
Gina's failure to speak in opposition to her father's appalling attitudes today, leaves the door wide open for any reasonable person to interpret that as agreement or at best, ambivalence, to his inhuman attitudes.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #41
To suggest that Magda is a racist based on a comedy sketch she did many, many years ago is an overreach. Her tasteless sketch was part of a comedy routine... which is disgusting based on today's moralities and sensitivities, but, embarrassingly, it was a part of the comedy landscape way back then. It was an entertainment performance, with the audience knowing just that - it was pretend. Since that time Magda has more than atoned, with apology and willingness to learn and change. On top of that she has committed much of her time to humanitarian/philanthropic causes - more than ample evidence of her sincerity.
Gina's failure to speak in opposition to her father's appalling attitudes today, leaves the door wide open for any reasonable person to interpret that as agreement or at best, ambivalence, to his inhuman attitudes.

I agree. Szubanski is on the public record saying the alt right trolls are quite correct in calling her out on it, and she has no issue with that. I think she has demonstrated she understands the errors of her ways, and has tried to make up for it. 

Reply #42
I'm sure team left would be equally as forgiving if photos of Gina in black face emerged.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #43
I'm sure team right missed the memo that nobody is claiming perfection, and that what you do about your errors is as important as the errors themselves. Team right also struggles to understand difference and nuance, and resorts to clutching at straws to maintain the rage, with one supposedly shocking expose after another.

Reply #44

NO ONE is expected to apologise for their parents, some may choose to, but thats their personal choice.
The issue is that the daughter refuses to comment on her fathers beliefs... its easy to say "I hold no such beliefs"
Let’s go BIG !