Skip to main content
Topic: Sport, sponsors, activism and politics (Read 7162 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sport, sponsors, activism and politics

Reply #90
Actually Winmar was supposed to be on the show and didn't show up. Throughout the show Sam kept asking Eddie is he here yet with the longer the show went the less likely he was going to turn up. At the last break Newman came out in blackface and said "I'm here bla bla"
Following week he had Winmar's guernsey which was a bulldogs one from memory and he apologised directly to him for any offence and that he wish he had the jumper last week and it wouldn't have happened.

Yes, there's footage of Newman and Winmar shaking hands that was recorded and shown on the Footy Show. However, Newman was forced to apologise as part of a settlement Channel 9 reached with Winmar.  Newman later broke a confidentiality agreement by speaking about the forced apology. Years later, Winmar talked about how much the blackface incident hurt him and how insincere Newman's forced apology was.

Newman was forced to apologise to Winmar again after he, Mike Sheahan and Don Scott claimed that Winmar's Victoria Park gesture wasn't in response to the racist abuse directed at him and Gilbert McAdam.  Newman claimed that activists had “morphed” the moment to suit their political agenda ... which has more than a little to do with his political agenda.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #91
It makes little sense why Winmar would be signally to feral Collingwood fans that he has guts. Not sure what Sheahan and co were really thinking?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #92
It makes little sense why Winmar would be signally to feral Collingwood fans that he has guts. Not sure what Sheahan and co were really thinking?

I'd like to believe that they weren't thinking at all.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #93
Ludbey intimates quite clearly (without stating it explicitly) that he was in earshot of Winmar and McAdam, and heard Winmar say 3 times "I'm black and proud to be black." Assuming he's telling the truth, there's nothing more to say.

Those three good ol boys supposedly got their story from Tony Shaw. Another photographer on the day corroborated Ludbey's version. The HS editor had to choose between the "gutsy effort" interpretation from Shaw and the Ludbey version, and decided the former would be the official story. I guess it's too much of a stretch for those three to check the story with Ludbey, McAdam or Winmar.

Good to see the HS was the epitome of unbiased reporting and quality journalism even back then.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/nicky-winmar-suing-sam-newman-and-co-hosts-for-attempt-to-revise-historical-moment/q5wx3c4g7

Reply #94
As has been said, they weren't thinking. Its ironic that they suggested what Winmar was thinking at that time, how would they know? Only Winmar would know and he has stated a million times categorically that he was pointing to the colour of skin and was proud of it. It staggers me how people try not only to put words in the mouths of others, but also thoughts in their heads.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #95
The only thing that you know for certain in this debate is that both sides willingly stretch reality to win the turf war.

As 3rd parties to this, we should not take one side or the other, just acknowledge that both sides exist, and in the absence of hard evidence we should disregard them equally! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #96
As has been said, they weren't thinking. Its ironic that they suggested what Winmar was thinking at that time, how would they know? Only Winmar would know and he has stated a million times categorically that he was pointing to the colour of skin and was proud of it. It staggers me how people try not only to put words in the mouths of others, but also thoughts in their heads.

Exactly what I have also heard, GTC, numerous times... and it makes perfect sense.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #97
Ludbey intimates quite clearly (without stating it explicitly) that he was in earshot of Winmar and McAdam, and heard Winmar say 3 times "I'm black and proud to be black." Assuming he's telling the truth, there's nothing more to say.

Those three good ol boys supposedly got their story from Tony Shaw. Another photographer on the day corroborated Ludbey's version. The HS editor had to choose between the "gutsy effort" interpretation from Shaw and the Ludbey version, and decided the former would be the official story. I guess it's too much of a stretch for those three to check the story with Ludbey, McAdam or Winmar.

Good to see the HS was the epitome of unbiased reporting and quality journalism even back then.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/nicky-winmar-suing-sam-newman-and-co-hosts-for-attempt-to-revise-historical-moment/q5wx3c4g7

Gilbert McAdam has backed up Winmar's version many times - and he's part of the media pack. 

It took a couple of days before it was widely appreciated that Winmar and McAdam were having a crack at racist supporters.  The Age picked it up and had an editorial on racism at the footy.  That was followed by Allan McAlister's cringeworthy comment that Collingwood did not have an issue with Indigenous Australians, "... as long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect them."

Reply #98
Gilbert McAdam has backed up Winmar's version many times - and he's part of the media pack. 

It took a couple of days before it was widely appreciated that Winmar and McAdam were having a crack at racist supporters.  The Age picked it up and had an editorial on racism at the footy.  That was followed by Allan McAlister's cringeworthy comment that Collingwood did not have an issue with Indigenous Australians, "... as long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect them."

Thanks. Some interesting info.

Reply #99

If I recall correctly that abhorrent comment marked the deathnell of McAlister's tenure as president of Rottingwood. Not too long after that Eddie took the reins.

And, yes, I also recall Gilbert Mac making those comments re Nicky W... as well as others. I really didn't believe to this day that there was any other credible statement re what was Nicky W was emphasizing to the toothless brigade over the fence when pointing to his skin.

Reply #100
Gina Rinehart spotted at Trump’s presidential bid announcement, 9 News.

Birds of a feather. Clearly, she didn’t want to repudiate Daddy’s call to sterilise Indigenous Australians because doing so may have ruffled a few of her fellow birds’ feathers. Even a hard right winger like Rupert Murdoch is walking away from Trump but Gina is like the daughter Trump wishes he had.

Reply #101
Gina Rinehart spotted at Trump’s presidential bid announcement, 9 News.

Birds of a feather. Clearly, she didn’t want to repudiate Daddy’s call to sterilise Indigenous Australians because doing so may have ruffled a few of her fellow birds’ feathers. Even a hard right winger like Rupert Murdoch is walking away from Trump but Gina is like the daughter Trump wishes he had.

Minehart has always been in Humpty Dumpty's camp.  She was urging the Australian Government to adopt his hairbrained policies in the run up to his first candidature  ::)

I reckon Netball Australia will be glad that Rinehart took her money and walked.

Reply #102
I reckon Netball Australia will be glad that Rinehart took her money and walked.

Well Dickhead Dan is making us pay for it.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #103
Even a hard right winger like Rupert Murdoch is walking away from Trump but Gina is like the daughter Trump wishes he had.
Murdoch is pretty mercenary, I'm not sure you can read anything into his actions other than staying on the coat tails of the winning side. Rinehart is similarly cruel, and Rinehart is smarter than Trump she could chew him up and spit him out with little trouble.

You have to keep in mind the policy position of the Red states, they might be aligned with Rinehart's US mining interests. btw., And by Red states I mean more than US prefectures, who are the major shareholders in Rinehart's domestic operations, as I understand she is in bed with China and there is little doubt China would prefer Trump over Biden.

There may be more "Red" in that fundraising than Americans care to admit! :o

Finally, yes I get it Trump boosters will claim Trump talks tougher on China than Biden, but the devil is in the detail and Trump's actions do not match his words. Native Americans had a label for that type of talker! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #104
Well Dickhead Dan is making us pay for it.

Victoria sponsors and/or financially supports many sports in our state and nationally. I guess the Grand Prix is a good example along with helping out some AFL clubs with ground development. Many Victorians are sh1tty forking out $M40-$M50 annually on these metal boxes whizzing about in circles... however, it does promote -- in a tourism sense -- Melbourne and Australia to the motor sport world.