Skip to main content
Topic: State Elections (Read 13185 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: State Elections

Reply #61
Dictator Dan has won the election despite being despised by every single person on Earth, The Guardian.
Fake news, fake VEC, fake outcome, we all know it.

Only the truth is true!

You can read it in The Hun or hear it on Sky News.

Just ask Andrew Bolt, Alan Jones, Rita Panahi and Peta Credlin, thank them deeply for all the good work they have done they deserve a pay rise, without them the Coalition would hardly get a vote!  ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
Personally, irrespective of how I have voted, I have taken to putting the greens last on the ballot in every election I vote for.  Even when I put Labor as 1.

Greens are at the latter end of my voting papers too, they don't have any other  policies other than environmental variety.

Reply #63
Terry McCrann

Just six months ago Victorians voted for four more years of Dan Andrews and they are now going to get their reward, and get it good and hard.

Whether they will be getting the next four years of hard, very hard, Labor from chairman Dan, though, is a very different and interesting question.

What are the odds now on the premier bailing, in the time-honoured Labor tradition of the male premier handing the – thoroughly – poisoned chalice to the female deputy.

Think Brian Burke and Carmen Lawrence in WA; Peter Beattie and Anna Bligh in Queensland; and indeed, our very own John Cain and Joan Kirner, back in the ‘Guilty Party’ days of 1990.

Now, I have to say, you’ve got to be impressed by treasurer Tim Pallas’s skill in applying oodles of lipstick on a fiscal pig.

Why, you might even begin to believe the looming $170bn of state debt — that’s over $25,000 for every single Victorian, more than $100k for a family of four — is all-but already paid-off.
No way. All the pain in the budget – mostly, in higher taxes; there was precious little attempt to haul in spending and the bloated Victorian public sector – only serves to SLOW the rise and rise in the debt.

The idea – the idea that Chairman Dan and Treasurer Tim would like you to believe – that the cutely named ’Covid Levy’ will actually start to REPAY the debt is a fantasy.

Net debt goes from $117bn now to $171bn in mid-2027. That’s an increase of nearly 50 per cent.

And note; that’s on the most optimistic assumptions about the Victorian and national economies.

That despite all those Reserve Bank rate rises, which chairman and treasurer blame for Victoria’s woes – that nasty Phil Lowe ‘made us do it’; borrow all the billions – the state and national economies will just keep whirring along.

That’s to say, we will get back to budget balance by 2026-27; and then and only then will we start to make very small repayments on the debt.

Dream on; deceive on. Victoria is in and will stay in a deep, deep, fiscal and debt hole.
And if you ‘blame Covid’ – as chairman and treasurer desperately try – you are blaming yourselves; because it was Victoria’s way over the top lockdowns that gave us so much more debt than, most directly, NSW.

The big underlying story in the state budget is the way premier and treasurer have desperately doubled down on their Big Build and Big Melbourne hopes.

That is, if they keep pouring more and more concrete, they keep pouring more and more people into Melbourne, that will at least generate enough revenues to paper over the yawning, spreading cracks in Victoria’s economic and fiscal state.

The method chosen is to attack property owners and especially owners of rental properties.

Gee, that’s smart. Melbourne already has a rental crisis; so we will further discourage people from owning and building rental properties.

I guess Chairman’s Dan’s personal calculus is that particular chicken will come home to roost under Premier Jacinta.

Sure, land is always a popular target of government taxation and de facto expropriation. On the basis you can’t take it away.
No, but you can certainly ‘encourage’ people to go away.

This is a budget which screams to Victorian go-getters – the creators of businesses and jobs – go north, and quickly, young man and woman.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #64
In what paper did that appear, MBB?

Reply #65
It's in the Herald Sun.

Reply #66
Greens are at the latter end of my voting papers too, they don't have any other  policies other than environmental variety.

They do have other policies but they are either too costly, too ridiculous or both.

Reply #67
They do have other policies but they are either too costly, too ridiculous or both.
I remember looking at their website and seeing how they were going to fund their policies and they said they were going to tax the Rich....reckon that might have been tried a few times over the centuries but with limited success.

Reply #70
McCrann has long been a journalist with a heavy right wing slant.

Reply #71
I’m sure he’s fair and balanced, as is Fox News.

Reply #72
I’m sure he’s fair and balanced, as is Fox News.

It got to the point long ago that any expectation of accurate reporting and a genuine both sides analysis from his stable was totally futile and hopelessly naive.

Reply #73
I thought it was a good article.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #74
I thought it was a good article.

🤣

If any “journo” wants to have any credibility they should refrain from calling the democratically elected leader of the state as a dictator.
Let’s go BIG !