Skip to main content
Topic: Super Bowl 57 (Read 3113 times) previous topic - next topic

Super Bowl 57

Watching Super Bowl 57, it is interesting to watch a fairly physical game with bodies going everywhere yet after each encounter there is no little elbow in the guts as they pass each other, no push and shove and carry on after the contest etc. Maybe AFL guys need to get a bit more discipline into their games.

Re: Super Bowl 57

Reply #1
Our sport is like netball compared to this.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2
Unfortunately, Siposs took a bit of St Kilda with him to the Super Bowl. But Mailata was pretty flawless (at least to my less-than-expert eyes).

As far as the players being disciplined, they are disciplined by the rules and referees. Even ‘jawing’ leads to a flag and a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. That’s a killer - it either kills the drive if the offense is guilty or it leads to an automatic 1st down if the defenders are guilty. Fisticuffs would probably lead to expulsions. I remember a QB being thrown out of the game when he took his helmet which had come off his head and swung it at an opponent.

But if we took such a hard line, I can just imagine all the whingeing about soft free kicks and calls to let the players play.

The other difference is that Aussie Rules is a 360 degree game whereas in NFL the players are separated by the line of scrimmage, so NFL players can’t thump an opponent in the back with a forearm or elbow him in the guts before the play starts. Then everyone goes in motion when the ball is snapped and the 7 referees are on the lookout for penalties and that’s almost a referee for each of the 11 pairs of players. Spot fires are most likely to erupt at the end of a down but the offensive players have to get to the huddle quickly while the defensive players need to set up behind the line of scrimmage very quickly as the QB will otherwise go into a hurry up play to take advantage of an undisciplined defender.

Edit: It was actually a defensive player Myles Garrett who ripped the QB Rudolph’s helmet off him and then swung it at the QB leading to Garrett’s ejection.

Reply #3
Gotta gives Mahomes heaps of credit. He took a high-ankle sprain into the game (and that’s the dreaded syndesmosis injury AFL fans know only too well). It looked as though he aggravated it before half-time but he continued to pick apart the Eagles’ D all game long. That was a massive surprise as the Eagles’ Defensive line has been sack-happy all season and has a spread of high-end talent. Even with his ankle injury, Mahomes danced his way free of the pass-rushers and even had a few important runs for 1st downs. IIRC, he avoided any sacks and was even able to complete passes while being tackled. In the 2nd half, a score was pretty much guaranteed at the end of every KC drive.

Reply #4
What a screwed sport that is, typical US garbage. World Champions, hahahahaha, they're the only kents that compete in it. Should we call our AFL Premiers World Champions as well? FMD now Ive heard everything!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
What a screwed sport that is, typical US garbage. World Champions, hahahahaha, they're the only kents that compete in it. Should we call our AFL Premiers World Champions as well? FMD now Ive heard everything!

Yes we should.
No one can beat Australia at Australian Football...the Irish would come closest but they're not in the same league. :D

It really is chalk and cheese trying to compare the two sports.
They're nothing alike.
The requirements to play them are totally different.
About the only cross-over position (as we've seen) is the kicker fellows. (punters)
It's like comparing a twenty metre shot putter or a muscled up 100 metre sprinter to a 400 metre middle distance runner.
Endurance, repeat efforts, protective gear, ground covered, skills...so many differences.
That's not to say the American game doesn't generate a bit of world-wide interest when the Superbowl rolls around.

Reply #6
Yes we should.
No one can beat Australia at Australian Football...the Irish would come closest but they're not in the same league. :D

It really is chalk and cheese trying to compare the two sports.
They're nothing alike.
The requirements to play them are totally different.
About the only cross-over position (as we've seen) is the kicker fellows. (punters)
It's like comparing a twenty metre shot putter or a muscled up 100 metre sprinter to a 400 metre middle distance runner.
Endurance, repeat efforts, protective gear, ground covered, skills...so many differences.
That's not to say the American game doesn't generate a bit of world-wide interest when the Superbowl rolls around.

Mate I'm not suggesting for a second they are anything alike (thank god). IMO, its one of the stupidest sports on the planet. I have no interest in it whatsoever (other than canning here given all the air time it gets).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #7
Mate I'm not suggesting for a second they are anything alike (thank god). IMO, its one of the stupidest sports on the planet. I have no interest in it whatsoever (other than canning here given all the air time it gets).

No,
I didn't think you were comparing them.
I know we do have some keen NFL fans here but even they don't make that link
I guess it's the fact they're both referred to as 'Football.'
When they're really nothing alike.

Reply #8
I actually really like the NFL and watch it every week during the season. I have been taking the Monday off for years to watch the Superbowl in the comfort of my own home. Plenty to like but there are a couple of things that really do my head in.
No 1 the fouls that are called v the ones that aren't. Replays often have me scratching my head. Everyone seems to hold but sometimes they get pinged sometimes they don't. It's a lottery IMO.
No 2 the whole anti-climax thing that often happens when the team looks certain to win in the last couple of minutes, i.e KC today. In our game if there's a kick in it there's no clock manipulation like they have in the US game. Very disappointing in todays match given it had been so entertaining up until the last 2 minutes.

Ultimately our game is still the best but I'd rather watch the NFL rathern than tennis or T20.

Reply #9

I'm pretty much on the same page.  I don't mind watching some NFL highlights or exceptional individual efforts but I couldn't watch a game. Of course, if someone shelled out for the airfares and tickets, I'd give it a crack ... but mainly for the tailgate party  8)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
I actually really like the NFL and watch it every week during the season. I have been taking the Monday off for years to watch the Superbowl in the comfort of my own home. Plenty to like but there are a couple of things that really do my head in.
No 1 the fouls that are called v the ones that aren't. Replays often have me scratching my head. Everyone seems to hold but sometimes they get pinged sometimes they don't. It's a lottery IMO.
No 2 the whole anti-climax thing that often happens when the team looks certain to win in the last couple of minutes, i.e KC today. In our game if there's a kick in it there's no clock manipulation like they have in the US game. Very disappointing in todays match given it had been so entertaining up until the last 2 minutes.

Ultimately our game is still the best but I'd rather watch the NFL rathern than tennis or T20.
#1 - There are different rules for holding at the line of scrimmage and beyond it. Sometimes thats when a clear hold is 'missed' and not. Of course, there are 22 players and only about 6 refs that can make that call, so things will get missed.

#2 Clock management is what adds to the game and makes it more of a thinking mans game than most other sports. You can score too quickly, or take too long and ruin your chances both ways, despite actually scoring. Yes, sometimes that leads to 'dead time' at the end of games (or halves) but you take the good with the bad.

Reply #11
My less-than-expert eyes were right. The PFF site ranked the top 10 players in the Super Bowl and rated Mailata the 4th best. Naturally, Mahomes and Hurts took out the 1st 2 positions but Mailata beat out Travis Kelce and AJ Brown:

Eagles tackles stout in pass protection: Jordan Mailata and Lane Johnson allowed zero pressures all game.

OT JORDAN MAILATA, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
PFF Grade: 82.6

Mailata was on the field for 43 pass-blocking snaps, including 13 true pass sets, and didn’t allow a single sack, hit or hurry.

Reply #12
I thought the half time entertainment was average....lots if smoke and mirrors. Rihanna is no Cilla. :D

Reply #13
I thought the half time entertainment was average....lots if smoke and mirrors. Rihanna is no Cilla. :D

Half time is usually when its time to go grab a bite to eat or something.

Half time entertainers don't get any cash for their efforts either.