Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 2 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Geelong (Read 5263 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 2 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #30
That win will give the players a real boost in self confidence.   I was impressed with Acres.  He showed a cool head under pressure and his disposal was very good.
Acres went at 88% Disposal Efficiency....thats elite and had 11 contested possessions, cant ask much more and and vs high class opposition.

Reply #31
This looks good while it lasts. On top of the ladder!

Reply #32
Small durdin was very important and is quickly becoming my favourite unappreciated player.

Fisher needs to do more.  I think playing him forward doesn't suit him.

Memo to MC.  never, ever sub jsos off if he's fine.  We looked a different forward line without him, and LOB added nothing in his absence.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
Small durdin was very important and is quickly becoming my favourite unappreciated player.

Fisher needs to do more.  I think playing him forward doesn't suit him.

Memo to MC.  never, ever sub jsos off if he's fine.  We looked a different forward line without him, and LOB added nothing in his absence.
Good call Thry...Durdin only had the 8 touches but for some reason we look a lot better with him in the team and I reckon Owies, Motlop all work better together when he is in the 23. I wouldnt go back to Martin......
Fisher got a bit of ball but I thought his disposal was just so so and he needs to impact more when he gets the ball.

Reply #34
Chris Scott in denial as usual when they lose and just talked carp for about 10 mins, listening to him we didnt really win the game it was more about Geelong losing it and the players they have banged up and injured. Was asked how his midfield went but glossed over that even though we have Hewett and Walsh both out.
When asked was he concerned about two losses in similar fashion where teams ran the ball into their forward line with high possession numbers he just said that depends on whether you rate Collingwood and Carlton...
Not once did he really credit us for the win and say they lost to the better team on the night....

Reply #35
Chris Scott in denial as usual when they lose and just talked carp for about 10 mins, listening to him we didnt really win the game it was more about Geelong losing it and the players they have banged up and injured. Was asked how his midfield went but glossed over that even though we have Hewett and Walsh both out.
When asked was he concerned about two losses in similar fashion where teams ran the ball into their forward line with high possession numbers he just said that depends on whether you rate Collingwood and Carlton...
Not once did he really credit us for the win and say they lost to the better team on the night....

I didn't expect anything else from him. It was all about me... As usual. He's a sore loser and would never credit the novice coach and his players. After all they won by accident 😳
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #36
Good call Thry...Durdin only had the 8 touches but for some reason we look a lot better with him in the team and I reckon Owies, Motlop all work better together when he is in the 23. I wouldn't go back to Martin......

Durdin had a much bigger impact than the 8 touches suggest - his acceleration is much more explosive than the other smalls and he creates much more pressure on man and ball - the three mentioned provide a varied and effective combination.

Reply #37
How good is Adam Saad ?

Thank you to :
- Charlie Curnow - 5.2 in a 12 goal game.
- Harry McKay for those last minute marks.
- Jack Bowes for missing.
- Tyson Stengle for the 50M penalty.
- the umpires for a well officiated game
- the football gods for the 4 points and no injuries.

A super effort by the boys.

Reply #38
Don't mind close games but hate winning close games due to giving up a bigger margin due to silly mistakes.
Gov is taking Jones' role of being that frustrating player. Great one moment then WTF the next.
Great win by the club. Hate the Pussys.
Still need to work on goal kicking. Has been an issue for a loooong time.
Don't like this continually bombing it into the forward line. Yes it has its moments but not ALL the time. Especially when the small forwards are not setup around the contest, many a time the ball came to ground and there was not a Blue jumper in sight.
Lots to work on but I love the fight.
Finally our team has a ticker.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #39
Finally our team has a ticker.
Particularly in the third, they really beat Geel up, one of the best qtrs I have seen in a long time.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #40
I'll be happy if we can back up and beat GWS and make this win count.
Although back to back would be nice, I think there will be a few sore lads coming out of last nights game and I'd prefer we look after them than take a risk, it's a long season.

Let's get back to making home games a fortress and throw in the odd away win.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
Compared to Rnd 1 last nights game was at another level, skills were better, the opposition was better, we were better.

You can see why we will look back on Rnd 1 and feel it was a lost opportunity.

I feel Pitto coming in has shown the way for the ruck situation, his mix-n-match with TDK just works better in my opinion, you can clearly see the value Pitto brings when you need some heavy duty grunt work to put the brakes on the opposition.

Durdin coming in made a difference for Owies, Fisher and Motlop, that little bit extra run matters, Motlop getting up the field further also worked well, all were better this week.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42

I always find his pressers very measured and insightful. I didn't get the feeling he was sooking or anything like that, he was asked a lot of specific questions about his players and he answered them. They are a good, confident side who is well coached and will be around the mark at the pointy end.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #43
I always find his pressers very measured and insightful. I didn't get the feeling he was sooking or anything like that, he was asked a lot of specific questions about his players and he answered them. They are a good, confident side who is well coached and will be around the mark at the pointy end.
I see him different, won't admit when the other team were better and refuses to accept reality when they are in trouble.
Imo they are struggling and lack leadership and have a tired midfield  which consists of oldies and then kids but not much in the middle.
Both us and Collingwood have knocked them over with the same game plan and he hadn't been able to find the answers apart from saying it's all ok.

Reply #44
Compared to Rnd 1 last nights game was at another level, skills were better, the opposition was better, we were better.

You can see why we will look back on Rnd 1 and feel it was a lost opportunity.

I feel Pitto coming in has shown the way for the ruck situation, his mix-n-match with TDK just works better in my opinion, you can clearly see the value Pitto brings when you need some heavy duty grunt work to put the brakes on the opposition.

Durdin coming in made a difference for Owies, Fisher and Motlop, that little bit extra run matters, Motlop getting up the field further also worked well, all were better this week.

We must play the two rucks but what does that mean for SOS? Are McGovern and SOS a direct swap, SOS down back as the third tall interceptor and McGovern out?
What happened to my old profile?????