Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 3566 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #45
Fair odds imo.....those names are impressive on paper and probably get paid more than the rest of their teammates put together but have never really impressed me in in terms of playing like their life depends on it and living up to the hype they seem to have created over the years. Its always been Ward, Davis and Greene in the main having to do the dirty work and be the heart and soul of that team while the big money earners look for the easy kick and glory play.
Hogan's another one who can look a million dollars but usually gives you a few rupees worth most weeks with the odd glory goal, hate to be a GWS supporter

Hope you're right - its a Blues Saturday from lunchtime onwards and we have Pizza and Beer set up for the day.

Reply #46
Hope you're right - its a Blues Saturday from lunchtime onwards and we have Pizza and Beer set up for the day.

I'll be there at 12:05 with a six-pack of pies! ;)  ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #47
Something of a danger game for us, the Giants are back at home and had a bad loss to the Eagles last week.

We cannot go into this one with any complacency.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #48
Toby Greene to kick 5.

Reply #49
Greene is the obvious difficult match up.....Newman or possibly Cowan?

We should be able to test their backline though if Himmelberg has to ruck....likely they'll play a second ruckman this week so he can play back.

Reply #50
The problem for the Giants is that Greene has kicked 4 goals in both games and was BOG in the Rd 1 win and 2nd best in their Rd 2 loss. In other words, Greene has to play at his best and kick 4+ for the Giants to win but that still may not be enough. Imagine what would happen if he has a bad day.

Reply #51
Greene is the obvious difficult match up.....Newman or possibly Cowan?

We should be able to test their backline though if Himmelberg has to ruck....likely they'll play a second ruckman this week so he can play back.
Both Himmelberg's are duds IMO, never got the hype over the GWS version and like McGovern he has ended up doing the easy intercept gig down back rather than the tougher job trying to kick a winning score.
Honestly if we lose to this mob we are fecked for the season and need a complete reset, West Coast are horrible and beat them comfortably and thats without Josh Kennedy.
Im tipping Harry McKay to kick half a dozen this week......Taylor who is one of their few good players might go ok on Charlie but Harry should have a picnic...

Reply #52
Ultimately we have a history of dropping the winnable games after beating some tough opposition. We really don't have any excuses. Our list is relatively healthy and we really should clean these blokes up. Then again .......... ::)

Reply #53
Crippa, Ed, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra will prove too strong in the middle and a good test to see whether they can control a game from start to finish.

Reply #54
Crippa, Ed, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra will prove too strong in the middle and a good test to see whether they can control a game from start to finish.
Hope George gets up to play.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55
Ultimately we have a history of dropping the winnable games after beating some tough opposition. We really don't have any excuses. Our list is relatively healthy and we really should clean these blokes up. Then again .......... ::)

Our healthy list has 8 injured 2 tests - George and Jack Martin.
Seems the average for us. Meanwhile several clubs have 4 or less. GWS isn't one of those though.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #56
Something of a danger game for us, the Giants are back at home and had a bad loss to the Eagles last week.

We cannot go into this one with any complacency.

Cloven Hooved One, without wanting to seem like a smart@rse... I think the reality is that every game is a danger game. And you'd think and hope we never go into any game with any presumption of a win and/or complacency... instant wake-up call imminent. No opponent/side is a lay down misère.

Yes, you'd think that when we play a lower placed side in poor form or very inexperienced, that we would dish out a hiding... that's something for us supporters whereas you'd hope the players go into every game primed and ready to give every moment their very best in all aspects of the game and let the result take care of itself.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #57
If Hewett comes in, who goes out? Does LOB go out altogether and maybe JSOS as the sub.....or do one of Owies, Durdin, Motlop, Fisher become the sub? Hard to see either of Hollands or Cowan missing out and even if Docherty goes back to permanent defender, we still only have 7 "defenders" as such. And if Martin is cleared to play, could he be the sub or back via the VFL? Given his history of calf injuries, one week probably isn't enough.

Reply #58
While Hollands and Cowans have played well, a lot might depend on work loads, they are only newbies and we do not want to flog them into the ground in their first season. So at some stage they are highly likely to get a week off.

SoJ's fate is dependant on what we do with Pitto and TDK, not connected to Hewett in my opinion. But I agree he could well find himself on the bench if Hewett comes in.

I suspect Hewett would probably replaces one of LoB or Fisher, but Cowan is also possibly an out with a reshuffle, tough call but we have to be aware of work loads in the midfield and the HBF role is much easier to fill.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
If Hewett comes in, who goes out? Does LOB go out altogether and maybe JSOS as the sub.....or do one of Owies, Durdin, Motlop, Fisher become the sub? Hard to see either of Hollands or Cowan missing out and even if Docherty goes back to permanent defender, we still only have 7 "defenders" as such. And if Martin is cleared to play, could he be the sub or back via the VFL? Given his history of calf injuries, one week probably isn't enough.
I think it might be SOS. Reasons being:
- He hasn't really fired in the first two games.
- Mots and Owies were poor in the first game, very much improved in the second.
- Durds was very good first up
- LOB was the sub twice and really didn't get a go and didn't do anything wrong.
It could be that LOB goes out and SOS is the Sub this week (unless they want SOS to go back to the twos and find some form.
I want us to persist with the 2 rucks
I want Martin to play in the twos
I wish Walshy surprised us all and rolled out as the Sub.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time